Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare

Go down 
+25
Duck-Anch-Amun
Shanti
Advicot
RtasVadumee
costicuba
spacelab
Steve170
Megaptera
landrover
Caracal
rogerpgvg
bmathison1972
pipsxlch
75senta75
Kikimalou
widukind
Saarlooswolfhound
Pardofelis
Taos
SUSANNE
Tiermann
zirkoon
Roger
Bloodrayne
lucky luke
29 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 32 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare - Page 25 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare   Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare - Page 25 EmptyMon Aug 24, 2020 6:48 pm

Bullyland Buzzard! There's not a particular story about this figure besides that it came in a trade. As you can see, it has a nice color scheme that matches the natural pigments in nature. Overall, a really lovely and I think less popularly thought about figure.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare - Page 25 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare   Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare - Page 25 EmptyMon Aug 24, 2020 7:30 pm

A must have figure

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare   Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare - Page 25 EmptyMon Aug 24, 2020 7:32 pm

This is a fun example of how non-taxonomic names (buzzard) can apply to different animals. In Europe, a buzzard is a hawk (Buteo, and related), and this being from a German company, looks a lot like a hawk. Here in the US, we use the term buzzard to describe New World vultures (condors and kin). Can we assume this is the common buzzard, Buteo buteo?
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare   Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare - Page 25 EmptyMon Aug 24, 2020 8:07 pm

bmathison1972 wrote:
This is a fun example of how non-taxonomic names (buzzard) can apply to different animals. In Europe, a buzzard is a hawk (Buteo, and related), and this being from a German company, looks a lot like a hawk. Here in the US, we use the term buzzard to describe New World vultures (condors and kin). Can we assume this is the common buzzard, Buteo buteo?

Excellent discussion! Buzzards around where I live usually refers to turkey vultures. I wonder how the actual usage of the word translated from hawk to vulture culturally... anyway, yes I would say this is a perfect match for the common buzzard/Buteo buteo.

Thanks Andreas and Blaine!

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare   Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare - Page 25 EmptyMon Aug 24, 2020 8:19 pm

Saarlooswolfhound wrote:
bmathison1972 wrote:

Excellent discussion! Buzzards around where I live usually refers to turkey vultures. I wonder how the actual usage of the word translated from hawk to vulture culturally... anyway, yes I would say this is a perfect match for the common buzzard/Buteo buteo.

yes, growing up in Arizona, buzzards were turkey vultures. Although me, being an animal/science geek, called them turkey vultures properly even as a child :-D
Back to top Go down
Duck-Anch-Amun

Country/State : Luxembourg

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare   Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare - Page 25 EmptyMon Aug 24, 2020 9:11 pm

bmathison1972 wrote:
Saarlooswolfhound wrote:
bmathison1972 wrote:

yes, growing up in Arizona, buzzards were turkey vultures. Although me, being an animal/science geek, called them turkey vultures properly even as a child :-D

Yes, in the catalog, the figurine is named "Mäusebussard", so indeed Buteo buteo. Bullyland has also a nothern goshawk (Accipiter gentilis) in their range, named Habicht.
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare   Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare - Page 25 EmptyMon Aug 24, 2020 9:51 pm

Yes, very interesting ! In Danish it is called "Musvåge", so we share the "mouse"-word with German ( Mäuse=mus= mice ) Laughing
In wikipedia it is a common buzzard in English ( [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ), but the wikipedia explains the in USA turkey vultures are called turkey buzzards or just Buzzard. So the turkey must have gone lost on the way Wink

Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare   Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare - Page 25 EmptyTue Aug 25, 2020 2:14 am

We call them bútio in Portugal, easy name. Wink However, they are also known as "águia de asa redonda" that means round-winged eagle. If there is something I miss on Bullyland, it is their bird series, I wished they'd release more models to that series but... Sad

Country/State : Luxembourg

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare   Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare - Page 25 EmptyTue Aug 25, 2020 1:01 pm

Roger wrote:
If there is something I miss on Bullyland, it is their bird series, I wished they'd release more models to that series but... Sad

Oh yes, this is so true. Looking my wishlist for example, I still need 3 Bullyland birds: Red Kite, Canary Bird and the Cinerous Vulture.
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare   Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare - Page 25 EmptyTue Aug 25, 2020 6:00 pm

Its fun to see how each country is a little different in their name for this bird! And I agree, its a pity the bully bird series has ended, it had lots of great models. Thanks everyone.

Back to top Go down
Megaptera

Megaptera

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare   Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare - Page 25 EmptyTue Aug 25, 2020 9:19 pm

Wonderful buzzard. Bullyland still has some very good models.
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare   Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare - Page 25 EmptyTue Aug 25, 2020 10:06 pm

Roger wrote:
..... "águia de asa redonda" that means round-winged eagle. ......

If I saw that out of context, I would think it means " The unimployed donkey's eel " lol!

Sorry Embarassed

Erhmmmm Rolling Eyes
Ohh, yes, Bullyland made some great series : seals, dogs, fresh water fishes, North European deer, lizards etc
And  they were the first ones to make the red panda and many breeds of horses and..... Crying or Very sad

Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare   Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare - Page 25 EmptyThu Aug 27, 2020 12:09 am

Sorry these weren't posted until later in the day. The great Diprotodon by Southlands! Since this is a more recent acquisition, no story attached besides the fact that I knew the moment it was revealed and progress photos were shown here that I HAD to get one!

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare   Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare - Page 25 EmptyThu Aug 27, 2020 12:49 am

Wonderfully presented. I think that was my last prehistoric figure, I am not sure. I love it and your picture is really great! flower

SUSANNE wrote:
Roger wrote:
..... "águia de asa redonda" that means round-winged eagle. ......

If I saw that out of context, I would think it means " The unimployed donkey's eel " lol!

Sorry Embarassed

Erhmmmm Rolling Eyes

lol!

pipsxlch

Country/State : US/Florida

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare   Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare - Page 25 EmptyThu Aug 27, 2020 2:42 am

Love the last pic!
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare   Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare - Page 25 EmptyThu Aug 27, 2020 3:03 am

Diprotodon might be my favorite of the S.R. figures!
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare   Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare - Page 25 EmptyThu Aug 27, 2020 8:21 am

A nice addition

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare   Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare - Page 25 EmptyThu Aug 27, 2020 12:24 pm

Wonderful pictures !
So different and each one so charming Very Happy

Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare   Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare - Page 25 EmptyFri Aug 28, 2020 6:03 pm

Thank you again everyone!

Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare   Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare - Page 25 EmptyFri Aug 28, 2020 6:09 pm

This figure has endeared itself to me. The figure itself I found at a store with several other holdouts when I first started collecting. Its a really nice model, the best representation of this breed so far to me. But it is endearing now because, as a joke, I would occassionally balance it on top of my late best friend's head and take a photo. The feet position of this figure and the flatter portion of his little head matched perfectly, and he was quite good at balancing things and could walk a few feet before the model would fall off... anyway, this model just reminds me of my Pippen when I see it now.

The balancing act. (Perhaps my dog's worst haircut...)

Much better hairdo. Wink

My very favorite photo of him.

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare   Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare - Page 25 EmptyFri Aug 28, 2020 8:56 pm

cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers

Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare   Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare - Page 25 EmptyFri Aug 28, 2020 9:58 pm

Ohhhh, what a beautyful, wonderful Pippen-dog I love you cheers

And that little old Schleich Jack Russelll is ever so charming, - such a sweet story Very Happy

Advicot

Advicot

Country/State : A farm in Britiain

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare   Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare - Page 25 EmptyFri Aug 28, 2020 10:11 pm

Great figure, I also have this one, and a lovely dog you have :)

"Our planet is in crisis. The monster of this earth, is not a tiger nor a lion or shark. It's us we've destroyed the planet." (My own quote)
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare   Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare - Page 25 EmptyFri Aug 28, 2020 11:41 pm

Thank you Andreas, Susanne, and Adam!

Pippen was a wonderful dog, we had him for 14 years and I haven't met a smarter or more empathetic dog yet. He passed about 2 and a half years ago and we all miss him dearly. But even now he brings a smile to my face when I see this model and think about the good times. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare   Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare - Page 25 EmptySun Aug 30, 2020 6:01 pm

Another inherited AAA model. This has been a good friend and really was my only hyena for some years. An oddly positioned model, but the AAA pair are some of the best moulds to me.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare   Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare - Page 25 Empty

Back to top Go down

Saarlooswolfhounds collection display, close ups. Updated February 23rd! Papo arctic hare
Page 25 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 32 ... 40  Next