Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses

Go down 
+17
rogerpgvg
Jill
jarda
Morek
Shanti
thebritfarmer
Kikimalou
landrover
bjarki12
Sassyscribbler
ros
Taos
sunny
Bonnie
SUSANNE
George
widukind
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses   Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses - Page 5 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2022 4:34 am

This is actually a good model with good proportions and geometry. I like also the painting of the flanks does not show symmetry. Nice to know they are rare and now you have two of them in very good condition.

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses   Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses - Page 5 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2022 6:41 am

How wonderful to have found these rare models to add to your ever-growing collection! cheers They're in such good condition too and make a lovely pair! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
thebritfarmer

thebritfarmer

Country/State : Ontario, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses   Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses - Page 5 EmptyFri Sep 16, 2022 7:21 am

Very nice, and in great condition too.
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses   Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses - Page 5 EmptyFri Sep 16, 2022 7:45 am

Thanks for the comments. Yes, Britains made great cows. More generally, the Herald farm animals from the 1950s and 60s are pretty good, I think the very best at that time.

sunny

Country/State : uk

PostSubject: Re: Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses   Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses - Page 5 EmptyFri Sep 16, 2022 11:11 am

congratulations on both aspects Roger!
the immaculate condition of them both and their material
what a super addition to your collection, that was a very nice surprise for you:)
Back to top Go down
Taos

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses   Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses - Page 5 EmptyWed Sep 21, 2022 1:50 am

Really beautiful cows!! Applause Applause Applause

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses   Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses - Page 5 EmptyWed Sep 21, 2022 2:29 am

Thank you, Annette and Taylor!

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses   Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses - Page 5 EmptyMon Sep 26, 2022 2:24 am

These PVC Herald cows may not be as rare as I thought. I discovered that I already had another one, a brown and white feeding cow:
Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses - Page 5 Img_3210

Here it is with the Britains cow that both succeeded and preceded it:
Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses - Page 5 Img_3211

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses   Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses - Page 5 EmptyMon Sep 26, 2022 6:15 pm

Looks Like new

STS members can merge Very Happy

sunny Andreas sunny
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses   Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses - Page 5 EmptyMon Sep 26, 2022 10:52 pm

Red Holstein, Airshire, is it known what breed it intends to represent?

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses   Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses - Page 5 EmptyTue Sep 27, 2022 6:04 am

widukind wrote:
Looks Like new

Yes, it looks like it hasn't been played with much. It's well over 50 years old. The PVC versions are generally in a better condition than the polythene versions because the paint does not stick to polythene so well and over time, this has probably got worse because the polythene deteriorates.

Roger wrote:

Barrney Brown refers to them as Ayrshire cows in his Britains farm animals book. It is quite possible that Britains gave them a breed name early on because initially their catalogue numbers were different from the black-and-white cows. However, the earliest catalogue I have is from 1965 and then Britains simply referred to them as "cow", regardless of whether they were black-and-white or brown-and-white. Later catalogues also just say "cow".
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses   Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses - Page 5 EmptyTue Sep 27, 2022 10:32 pm

rogerpgvg wrote:
widukind wrote:
Looks Like new

Yes, it looks like it hasn't been played with much. It's well over 50 years old. The PVC versions are generally in a better condition than the polythene versions because the paint does not stick to polythene so well and over time, this has probably got worse because the polythene deteriorates.

Roger wrote:

Barrney Brown refers to them as Ayrshire cows in his Britains farm animals book. It is quite possible that Britains gave them a breed name early on because initially their catalogue numbers were different from the black-and-white cows. However, the earliest catalogue I have is from 1965 and then Britains simply referred to them as "cow", regardless of whether they were black-and-white or brown-and-white. Later catalogues also just say "cow".

As usual, you have it perfectly studied. I think the initial breed identification should remain even if they renamed it to cow, unless they paint it in colors which not match to the breed.

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses   Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses - Page 5 EmptyFri Sep 30, 2022 4:14 am

Well, my research wasn't good enough Embarassed. Barney Brown's book also shows part of the very first Herald catalogue from 1955 and the Herald cows are labelled Blk. & W. and Brn. & W. No breed names. A leaflet from 1958 shows the later Britains cows as simply "cows". In 1959, they are called "bull and cow (assorted colours)". So it looks like Britains never referred to them as Ayrshire cows.

In the 1980s and later, Britains referred to the black-and-white bull cows as Friesian cattle. The brown-and-white cattle were only made until 1983. This catalogue from 1982 shows that they referred to both colours of cattle as Friesians: https://www.conradantiquario.de/content/katalog/britains-catalogue-1982.html

Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses   Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses - Page 5 EmptyFri Sep 30, 2022 9:02 am

However, I think Ayrshire is a better choice. Holstein cattle usually has that dark and light colored heads with a very typical pattern. Ayrshires do not show any special pattern, they are sometimes almost white, sometimes almost entirely brown or with a mix of the two colors without any specific layout.
Though, Ayrshires are not as big as Holsteins, the dutch breed can reach 145 cm at the shoulders. Shocked Another determining factor is probably the fact that Ayrshire is a British dairy breed while Holsteins are not.

sunny

Country/State : uk

PostSubject: Re: Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses   Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses - Page 5 EmptyFri Sep 30, 2022 12:13 pm

rogerpgvg wrote:
These PVC Herald cows may not be as rare as I thought. I discovered that I already had another one, a brown and white feeding cow:
Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses - Page 5 Img_3210

what a gorgeous cow!
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses   Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses - Page 5 EmptySat Oct 01, 2022 5:54 am

Thank you (says the cow). I am happy that I found it again even though it was never really lost, just lost in my brain.

Taos

PostSubject: Re: Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses   Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses - Page 5 EmptyTue Oct 04, 2022 1:31 am

I would agree with Roger in the model being an Ayrshire judging by the build,colour and horn shape.Also at the time the models were being made Freisans were only just becoming popular and maybe this led to the model be changed to a larger bulkier model in accordance with the changing fortunes of cattle breeds.

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses   Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses - Page 5 EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 6:26 am

Thanks, Taylor. Sorry, I hadn't noticed your post before. The sculptor probably just wanted to model brown and white cows that were common in the UK in the 1950s. It's plausible that they were Ayrshires rather than Holsteins.
New additions: A man with whip affraid and two running hounds. Their condition looks too good to be original, they are probably repainted. I believe the dogs were made between 1928 and 1959.
Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses - Page 5 Img_2613
Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses - Page 5 Img_2712
Back to top Go down
Taos

Taos

PostSubject: Re: Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses   Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses - Page 5 EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 6:42 am

Beautiful additions,those hounds are great!!

Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses   Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses - Page 5 EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 7:35 am

This is a woman, Roger. Isn't it?

landrover

Country/State : colombia

PostSubject: Re: Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses   Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses - Page 5 EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 7:45 am

Wow, very rare additions. It is interesting. Applause Applause

rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses   Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses - Page 5 EmptyTue Oct 18, 2022 7:51 am

Roger wrote:
This is a woman, Roger. Isn't it?

Yes, well spotted!
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses   Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses - Page 5 EmptyFri Oct 21, 2022 4:55 am

repainted or not, the dogs are gorgeous Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses   Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses - Page 5 EmptyFri Oct 21, 2022 5:51 am

Wonderful hounds!! cheers cheers
I love vintage figures such as these, they reveal a lot about the past and how fox hunting was an even bigger part of British life back then. And foxhounds probably a much more common sight too as a result! I hardly ever see them now study .
Their poses are full of action too, you can just imagine them chasing at full speed, heads low to the ground, following the scent trail- lovely models! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses   Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses - Page 5 EmptyFri Oct 21, 2022 10:15 pm

A fabulous set !
Full of life and charm cheers

And it shows a piece of history.
Look at the lady's legs, - she must have been sitting a lot on horseback Laughing

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses   Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Rogerpgvg's Britains collection: field horses
Page 5 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next