Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here

Go down 
+12
Birdsage
A-J
Taos
Ana
sunny
Hippocollector
Saarlooswolfhound
rogerpgvg
Roger
Bonnie
Caracal
pipsxlch
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here  Empty
PostSubject: STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here    STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here  EmptyWed Apr 19, 2023 7:51 pm

Hello friends!
This is the signup topic for our 2023 STS Model Painting Month edition. You can show us the BEFORE photo of your chosen model and tell us your plan for its color.

I'll also open a special topic for work in progress on May 1st and a special topic for finished models.

Please choose one official model and don't change it after committing to it. I believe choosing one official project helps with motivation and focus. All extras and side projects can go to the general topic of the event (work in progress). Of course, we'll be happy to see them too!  sunny  

Important: we don't start painting the official model before May. But you can start prepping your model in April already. It means removing seamlines and any annoying elements. Resculpting and customizing if you wish. You can also cover the model in primer, gesso, or basecoat. Very Happy

All animal models are welcome, any material, scale, realistic or not, fantasy, whatever makes you happy Smile

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here    STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here  EmptyThu Apr 20, 2023 5:39 pm

I will post in may Sleep Wink
Back to top Go down
pipsxlch

pipsxlch

Country/State : US/Florida

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here    STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here  EmptyFri Apr 21, 2023 2:00 am

I received my model today.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
The eyes are glass and glued in after you're finished. I plan on a paintjob loosely based on a harpy eagle.
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here    STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here  EmptyFri Apr 21, 2023 9:53 am

Here is my next victim, a hugue TM model arrived 2 years ago in a lot:

Here with a (repaint) Schleich one for size comparison:

As north american wolf, its sculpting is not too bad and its big size would be of an easier use in oudoor pictures, but I think it needs some brush knocks! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here    STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here  EmptyFri Apr 21, 2023 5:53 pm

I just got one of these myself. Can't wait to see the transformation!

Same for yours Kelly. Very Happy

I still need to pick a victim...

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Bonnie

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here    STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here  EmptySat Apr 22, 2023 5:31 pm

Wonderful topic, I can't wait to follow everyone's progress! cheers I'm really hoping I can join, just got to wait and see what school throws at me over the next few weeks! pale
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here    STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here  EmptyMon Apr 24, 2023 5:26 am

My selected victim(s)... I will commit to one adult for sure for the painting challenge (Will decide on the Mojo or Safari). If I get the other 2 done then that will be a bonus.

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here    STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here  EmptyMon Apr 24, 2023 6:44 pm

I think I can take part in the BEFORE painting topic. Perhaps even in the DURING painting topic, but AFTER painting may be more challenging knowing my skills and slowness Very Happy.

I am hoping to repaint this metal Britains St Bernard dog in its original style:

I have a few questions:

- What is the best way to remove the original paint? Would acetone work? If I don't remove the old paint, I think you'll be able to see where it has flaked off after repainting.
- Can I use normal modelling paint for metal?
- The dog has a small hole in its tail. What is the best way to fill it? Ideally something that is easy to work with and I can store a long time after using it (not in a fridge).
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here    STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here  EmptyMon Apr 24, 2023 8:00 pm

You can try WePAM paste.. :)
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here    STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here  EmptyMon Apr 24, 2023 8:05 pm

for small things or holes you can try Plasto or Tamiya Putty.

Acetone is fine to remove paints from Metal but not for plastic.
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here    STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here  EmptyMon Apr 24, 2023 10:41 pm

Thank you both. Doesn't WePAM have to be stored in the fridge and doesn't it dry out easily when stored? I will rarely use it, so I need something that is easy to store.

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here    STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here  EmptyTue Apr 25, 2023 7:05 pm

Such great projects, everyone! I'll be excited to see how they get their new colors 😃
I also decided what I want to paint - a donkey foal. I'll send the photos when I'm back home as I'm on vacation right now.

Roger, I think acetone should work, it works for most paints. I hope this paint isn't toxic? I know lead white was a very toxic pigment but was commonly used in the past.

If you want to paint a metal model with acrylics I would recommend using a primer first (for example Tamiya) so the paint would stick better. 🙂
For the hole, probably Milliput will work. Or Green Stuff, or Apoxie? The latter is also available in small packaging.

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
pipsxlch

pipsxlch

Country/State : US/Florida

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here    STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here  EmptyTue Apr 25, 2023 7:14 pm

I can attest to Apoxie Sculpt lasting, I have some I've had for approximately 10 years and am still using. It's a 2 part epoxy you blend, the individual parts remain malleable until blended. It doesn't need refrigeration or anything.

Would enamel paints work better on a metal figure, for matching the original paint's texture/appearance?
Back to top Go down
George

George

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here    STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here  EmptyTue Apr 25, 2023 7:20 pm

I can vouch for Milliput lasting a really long time in storage, just shoved in a box or a drawer or wherever - when I've sometimes stopped customising for four or five years it's always fine when I do dig it out again. Maybe slightly firmer than when it was brand new, but still usable and sets perfectly ok. I think my oldest pack was about ten by the time I finally used it up and had to buy a new one Laughing

It's also far easier to get here in the UK than a lot of the other brands mentioned - it's made in Wales! You can find it in person at most DIY/plumbing shops as well as model shops, or there's loads of sellers on UK Ebay which have it, whether they're more craft-based or just sell plumbing or car supplies.

They make several kinds, the expensive superfine white is marketed as better for sculpting but the original grey/green is what I use, and all my model horsey friends too, so if you do decide to try it, ignore the blurb and get the cheaper one!

rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here    STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here  EmptyTue Apr 25, 2023 9:55 pm

Thanks for all the advice. I'll try Milliput. I think the paint is probably only toxic if you swallow it, but I'll wear a mouthpiece when I remove it just in case.

Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here    STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here  EmptyWed Apr 26, 2023 8:49 am

Roger, for the restoration of lead animals I would avoid Milliput, it is the material I used for the restoration of "big" animals in compo and for small details, Plasto or Tamiya Putty seem more appropriate. It's what a lot of toy soldiers restorers use. Moreover, these products are not very expensive.
As for your dog, if it is very small the hole on the tail is probably original, it is the style of manufacture of the Hollowcast lead, it needed a hole of evacuation. That's how you can tell the difference between Hollowcast and Aluminium models without weighing them.
If you just want the freshness of the original, leave the hole as it is otherwise you are making a custom and not a restoration.
The advice to use enamels is very wise because that is the type of paint used at the time. If you paint them with acrylic you will need to add a coat of satin varnish to get the shine of the enamels.

My custom will be this one, too much Indian cobras... Wink
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here    STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here  EmptyWed Apr 26, 2023 8:32 pm

A cobra with a smiley face! It already looks good, I am sure it will be even better when repainted.

Thanks, I'll use Plasto or Tamiya Putty then. I need to think about the hole. Yes, it would look more original, but on the other hand, I don't know how well I'll be able to match the original paint in any case.

Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here    STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here  EmptyThu Apr 27, 2023 1:15 am

It reminds me the cover of an album I absolutely love. Laughing

Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here    STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here  EmptyThu Apr 27, 2023 9:56 am

Yes Laughing Laughing Laughing I will try to make a less grunge snake Wink
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here    STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here  EmptyThu Apr 27, 2023 12:56 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
Yes Laughing Laughing Laughing  I will try to make a less grunge snake Wink

Laughing Sure, I'm expecting something more like an Indie cobra. Wink

sunny

Country/State : uk

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here    STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here  EmptySat Apr 29, 2023 9:17 pm

very exciting to see the other animals being repainted and customized! Kelly's looks amazing by the way!

I will be painting a Hagerman horse, Equus simplicidens, from the Pliocene era.
The coat markings will be my interpretation of what they looked like Very Happy

I'm using a paint worn Britains zebra, and have started to remove the seams and bumps.

Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here    STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here  EmptySat Apr 29, 2023 9:24 pm

Curious what the markings are going to be!

Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here    STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here  EmptySun Apr 30, 2023 4:49 am

It would be very interesting to watch or to read how you remove the seams and bumps 😊
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here    STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here  EmptySun Apr 30, 2023 7:18 am

I cannot wait for your Hagerman horse! I should do one someday, as it is the state fossil for my homestate of Idaho. I can't wait to see your interpretation Annette!

Back to top Go down
Hippocollector

Hippocollector

Country/State : Turkey

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here    STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here  EmptySun Apr 30, 2023 9:57 am

I want to paint a nayab hippo but i never done this before so im afraid i could ruin the thing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here    STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here  Empty

Back to top Go down

STS Model Painting Month - post BEFORE photos of your models here
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next