Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

STS Model Painting Month 2022 - post your FINISHED works here

Go down 
+13
pipsxlch
Jill
A-J
sunny
Shanti
Roger
SUSANNE
Bonnie
Saarlooswolfhound
Joliezac
thebritfarmer
George
Ana
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

STS Model Painting Month 2022 - post your FINISHED works here Empty
PostSubject: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - post your FINISHED works here   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - post your FINISHED works here EmptyWed May 11, 2022 9:42 am

Hi everyone Very Happy
When you finish your STS Model Painting month project, please post the photos here Smile
I'll create a collage of all our finished works early in June. sunny

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
George

George

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - post your FINISHED works here   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - post your FINISHED works here EmptyWed May 11, 2022 8:57 pm

Rather surprisingly, as someone with serious long-term issues over deadlines, I've managed to finish my project first out of anyone, for the second year running!
I think I'm getting done early in the month so the pressure doesn't build as the time runs out; once I've done my own bit I can sit back and enjoy everyone else painting with no guilt or worry about not getting anything completed Laughing

So here he is, the Papo Megaloceros I've had in my body box since last autumn, now with a new coat of paint...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I'm so pleased with how he turned out, I really like him and will enjoy having him in my collection, even if he is my only prehistoric mammal and has no friends to stand with yet Laughing

The shade makes his dark markings stand out more, but he looks prettier in the sun, so most of the other photos I've chosen do favour bright light.

There's a couple of areas which don't fully match my drawn design (see page 1 of the Works in Progress thread), but as that's also just an interpretation and not an authentic image of the real animal like when we can work from photographs of modern species, I'm not too annoyed with myself for going accidentally off-plan Laughing

I may have gone a bit overboard on the number of pics, but this sculpt looks great from so many angles!

Do not sneak up on the megaloceros from behind.

Those antlers are just amazing, they'd look impossibly impractical and unrealistic, if we didn't have so many examples as proof in real life, from peat bogs and the like Laughing

You know that feeling when a Red deer stag stares you down, and you don't know whether to feel intimidated cos he's massive and potentially dangerous, or safe cos you're such a small insignificant creature in comparison that he'd not even waste the energy to come at you? This one has the same look about him!

SUCH a handsome head! I took his face markings from Fallow deer; the little pale rings around the eye which help exaggerate it, and the way the profile of the nose shades to dark, but with white just around the nose and mouth.

I took a couple of different headshots without the miniature background, his outline contrasting nicely against my nice dark hedge.

A close-up portrait

And one more full photo to finish on. All done. Phew!

thebritfarmer

thebritfarmer

Country/State : Ontario, Canada

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - post your FINISHED works here   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - post your FINISHED works here EmptyWed May 11, 2022 9:16 pm

Stunning!
Back to top Go down
Joliezac

Joliezac

Country/State : New Jersey, USA

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - post your FINISHED works here   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - post your FINISHED works here EmptyWed May 11, 2022 11:23 pm

Gorgeous work george! Those last head shots are stunning! I'd love to take such a realistic model out on a photo shoot in the woods. Congrats on finishing the model! Applause cheers

Animal Ark Website
Back to top Go down
https://joliezacc9d79.myportfolio.com/
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - post your FINISHED works here   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - post your FINISHED works here EmptyThu May 12, 2022 4:39 am

Oh my heavens he is too handsome! Great work.

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Bonnie

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - post your FINISHED works here   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - post your FINISHED works here EmptyThu May 12, 2022 10:41 am

I had to comment, this is so amazing! cheers cheers Your painting has made this model look real, so alive! Shocked The colours, the details, everything about it and it really makes me realise how much of a worthy winner this sculpt was- but only because of your beautiful painting! Applause
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - post your FINISHED works here   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - post your FINISHED works here EmptyThu May 12, 2022 11:13 am

A nice, rather dull deer has evolved into the magnificent , majestic, king king cheers Applause Applause

(Ps : Is there a comma between majestic and king ? I am never sure how to put commas in English )

Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - post your FINISHED works here   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - post your FINISHED works here EmptyThu May 12, 2022 11:31 am

When we see such an impressive sculpt with a top quality paintjob like this one, it is impossible to not get impressed! Shocked
It is also great to see you painting again a non horse figure. Not a buckskin again. Laughing Your talent seems to work masterfully for all kind of figures.

Shanti

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - post your FINISHED works here   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - post your FINISHED works here EmptyThu May 12, 2022 4:03 pm

I don't know what to say!!! Shocked Shocked
This is just amazing George!!! Wonderful, wonderful work!! Congratulations on finishing him and finishing the first model of our contest this year!! sunny sunny sunny sunny
And love the photos!!
Back to top Go down
George

George

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - post your FINISHED works here   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - post your FINISHED works here EmptyFri May 13, 2022 2:13 pm

thebritfarmer wrote:
Stunning!

Thanks!

Joliezac wrote:
Gorgeous work george! Those last head shots are stunning! I'd love to take such a realistic model out on a photo shoot in the woods. Congrats on finishing the model! Applause cheers

He looks so alive, it's a well-done sculpt with that slight twist in the neck cos the headshots really do come across like he's just turning to look at something.

A woodland photoshoot would really be interesting, but not easy for me. I've never done that kind of outdoor photography before (well, all my model photos are taken outdoors, but with mini fake scenery) so it'd take a long while to find any nice locations with to-scale moss or dirt underfoot. And also because don't actually live near any woodland - my local landscape is all flat open land with water drains and crop fields - so it would take quite a bit of planning and getting my mum to give me a lift there, cos I can't drive Laughing

Saarlooswolfhound wrote:
Oh my heavens he is too handsome! Great work.

I think I made the right choice in picking this model to paint, there's something inherently handsome about deer, especially big ones, he really does look good in all his pictures!

Bonnie wrote:
I had to comment, this is so amazing! cheers cheers Your painting has made this model look real, so alive! Shocked The colours, the details, everything about it and it really makes me realise how much of a worthy winner this sculpt was- but only because of your beautiful painting! Applause

Thanks so much! I think a lighter colour would perhaps have flattered the mould more, the dark colour gives him the impact of a big dramatic outline but the finer detail like the hair texturing is a bit lost when there's no paint effect to pick it out. I don't know why they chose such a brown paintjob, perhaps just because red deer look similar in build so they decided to take inspiration from them.

SUSANNE wrote:
A nice, rather dull deer has evolved into the magnificent , majestic, king king cheers Applause Applause

(Ps : Is there a comma between majestic and king ? I am never sure how to put commas in English )

Thank you! It was a really fun project to transform him, but I'm also glad other people are enjoying seeing him now he's done Very Happy

I just googled your comma query cos I don't know all that much grammar either (went to a very bad school, we were never told any rules, or corrected if there were errors in our work - the poor teachers were too busy trying to stop all the disruptive and destructive behaviour to have time to explain commas to a quiet student who'd have bothered to listen). Apparently the right way is to use a comma between each of the descriptive words, but not one afterwards.

Roger wrote:
When we see such an impressive sculpt with a top quality paintjob  like this one, it is impossible to not get impressed! Shocked
It is also great to see you painting again a non horse figure. Not a buckskin again. Laughing Your talent seems to work masterfully for all kind of figures.

Yes, no buckskins for a while! Laughing It's been curious for me, adapting my horse painting techniques to different animals. Mixing and applying the colour is where I have experience, but when you have to alter the application style so much to capture differently textured fur, or even feathers, it's a little bit like starting all over again as a beginner Laughing The longer coat, where it's shaggy and tousled on his neck and shoulder, are like nothing I'd done before, and I just had to make it up as I went along!
I've got a dinosaur and a whale to tackle at some point, there's two more very different skin surfaces I have to figure out Laughing

It's thanks to this forum I've ventured away from only painting horses, I just don't have room for a full collection of other species but if I can restrict it by only buying the ones I want to repaint, rather than any to keep as they are, I can just about squeeze in this expansion into other animals Laughing

Shanti wrote:
I don't know what to say!!! Shocked Shocked
This is just amazing George!!! Wonderful, wonderful work!! Congratulations on finishing him and finishing the first model of our contest this year!! sunny sunny sunny sunny
And love the photos!!

Thank you so much! I really am delighted that everyone seems to enjoy him so much, it's one thing to be satisfied with your own work and be pleased to have managed something challenging and pleasing, but it's even more special when other people are so complimentary about the finished work.

This year's photos weren't quite as integral to the project as last year's, where I made a new set of base and backdrop just for my Quagga repaint, this was just a matching of two pieces I had already, the ferny base was made for CollectA and 1/12th scale models, and the backdrop was the first one I found in my stack which worked as a prehistoric-looking view, with no fence, wall, or human intervention in the landscape behind!

sunny

sunny

Country/State : uk

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - post your FINISHED works here   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - post your FINISHED works here EmptySat May 14, 2022 7:56 am

the megaloceros looks wonderful George !
I like the prehistoric shading and how you've made this wonderful figure look alive, well done !
It's been great to see your concept photos first as well. Thank you for sharing :)
Back to top Go down
Shanti

Shanti

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - post your FINISHED works here   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - post your FINISHED works here EmptyTue May 17, 2022 9:12 pm

Finished this tiny fox today. Scale about 1/32. It was a lot of fun to do, I never painted a fox before! Very Happy Thank you Ana for this event!
Now our chickens are in danger! Laughing Laughing

Back to top Go down
thebritfarmer

thebritfarmer

Country/State : Ontario, Canada

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - post your FINISHED works here   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - post your FINISHED works here EmptyTue May 17, 2022 9:19 pm

Whata stunning looking fox! (the chickens are nice too)
Back to top Go down
Shanti

Shanti

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - post your FINISHED works here   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - post your FINISHED works here EmptyTue May 17, 2022 9:35 pm

Thank you! Very Happy Very Happy sunny
Back to top Go down
Joliezac

Joliezac

Country/State : New Jersey, USA

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - post your FINISHED works here   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - post your FINISHED works here EmptyTue May 17, 2022 9:38 pm

Stunning fox!!! It came out wonderfully!

Animal Ark Website
Back to top Go down
https://joliezacc9d79.myportfolio.com/
Shanti

Shanti

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - post your FINISHED works here   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - post your FINISHED works here EmptyTue May 17, 2022 9:49 pm

Thank you so much!! Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
sunny

sunny

Country/State : uk

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - post your FINISHED works here   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - post your FINISHED works here EmptyTue May 17, 2022 11:17 pm

what a beautiful (and well fed) fox! I think the chickens are safe Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - post your FINISHED works here   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - post your FINISHED works here EmptyWed May 18, 2022 1:57 am

Surely I love it! Very Happy Foxes and chickens are the best friends. Very Happy I love the soft color transitions and your pictures are also very beautiful! flower

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - post your FINISHED works here   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - post your FINISHED works here EmptyWed May 18, 2022 10:07 am

Oh my, this makes me so happy! Both the elk and the fox! They are so wonderful and the photos are perfect Very Happy cheers

The Irish Elk absolutely comes to life in those photographs! Beautiful colors, natural lighting, AND perfect background! Those could be illustrations in a book about the wildlife of the Pleistocene. Applause

I love the fox too. It's so detailed and beautiful, which is especially incredible for such a tiny figure. The soft shading and blending of colors look amazing cheers
The little scene with chickens made me smile, I hope the birds were able to run away Very Happy

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
A-J

A-J

Country/State : The Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - post your FINISHED works here   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - post your FINISHED works here EmptyWed May 18, 2022 8:50 pm

oh, I forgot clicking "watch this topic for replies" and missed the new entries in this thread affraid  (it's clicked now, I won't miss anything else bounce )

Amazing work on the Megaloceros George! The paintwork really does the sculpture justice, or should I say: the sculpture does the paintwork justice scratch , anyway well done for finishing!

And the fox with the little scene is really adorable. I take it that the super-glued stick came off without too much trouble?
The fox seems really chill and friendly, no wonder the chickens aren't afraid. Congrats to you too for finishing cheers

Back to top Go down
https://www.instagram.com/ajs.artistry/
Shanti

Shanti

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - post your FINISHED works here   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - post your FINISHED works here EmptyThu May 19, 2022 4:25 pm

Thank you so much friends! cheers sunny
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] There was little damage, I had to sand down the area and apply new paint but since this was an almost white area with just little shadings it was ok. Next time I would try a much smaller drop of glue... drunken
Back to top Go down
Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - post your FINISHED works here   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - post your FINISHED works here EmptySat May 21, 2022 5:06 pm

These are brilliant!

George, he is magnificent! The detail is even more incredible in good lighting. I love your interpretation. His eyes look very alive.

Shanti, what a perfect fox! It still retains the soft watercolor feeling but now with excellent details. Gorgeous colors and such a wonderful face. What fine detail!

Congrats to you both on finishing! cheers
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - post your FINISHED works here   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - post your FINISHED works here EmptySat May 21, 2022 7:11 pm

That fox is stunning! And so small!

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
pipsxlch

pipsxlch

Country/State : US/Florida

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - post your FINISHED works here   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - post your FINISHED works here EmptySun May 22, 2022 2:33 am

Every cloud has a silver lining... was off today and expected to have to run my husband around, but we had a terrible fight and he took off in the car. That left me time to (relax!!!) paint the model I had picked out if it wasn't too late to join. And finish it lol. Here is my knockoff Schleich hyena, loosely based off a couple online photos- one looked like it had a king cheetah's markings, another had a light/bright fawn base color that went gingery towards the topline. I didn't do any resculpting on this one.
Back to top Go down
Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - post your FINISHED works here   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - post your FINISHED works here EmptySun May 22, 2022 2:56 am

I am so sorry to hear about the day that gave you a chance to paint. That sounds really stressful! But wow, I love the artistic end result! Gorgeous colors, it's such an improvement of the original. That burnt orange and cream is just gorgeous. He looks like a van Gogh painting, if he'd ever done a hyena. I hope things calm down for you!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - post your FINISHED works here   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - post your FINISHED works here Empty

Back to top Go down

STS Model Painting Month 2022 - post your FINISHED works here
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next