Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Kikimalou's "Scale" collection - 1/50 shelf - updated August 2 2024

Go down 
+3
Roger
widukind
Kikimalou
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

Kikimalou's "Scale" collection - 1/50 shelf - updated August 2 2024 Empty
PostSubject: Kikimalou's "Scale" collection - 1/50 shelf - updated August 2 2024   Kikimalou's "Scale" collection - 1/50 shelf - updated August 2 2024 EmptyFri Aug 02, 2024 1:45 pm

Here are a few images of my floor at 1/50 scale. Better known as 35mm, this scale is widely used for RPG miniatures.
For an animal collector, however, shots are rarer, particularly for extant land animals. This collection gives pride of place to prehistoric and marine animals.
Less modest than my 1/40 collection, it has 52 citizens at the moment, but I already know that it will grow (I have a few specimens waiting to be painted so that they can join the team).

As usual, you can also have a look at my [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] floors of my collection. cheers

Africa: Three animals only, Kitan Club and Colorata Giraffes, Kaiyodo White rhino
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

North America: It's even worse Palmface  Only two: Merten American bison and Yujin Alligator snapping turtle.

Asia, from south-east to Arctic... Eikoh Malayan tapir, Colorata Indian rhino and Asian elephants, Takara Walrus, Eikoh Bactrian camel and Indian rhino, Kaiyodo Malayan tapir and Bandai sambar deers.

ooops I forget the Colorata Chinese sturgeon Embarassed

and Japan: Ikimon Sika deers, Japanese black bear and Wild boar.

Camels: Bandai Dromedary and calf, Eikoh Bactrian camel

Pinnipeds: Takara Walrus and Colorata Steller sea lion

Back to Jurassic ! Safari Ltd Apatosaurus and shunosaurus

Cretaceous ornithopods: ColllectA Olorotitan, Brighstoneus, Hadrosaurus and Kinto Favorite Iguanodon

Other Cretaceous citizens: Kaiyodo Sauropelta, Kinto Favorite Spinosaurus, Safari Ltd Deinocheirus and Kaiyodo Diabloceratops.

All together

The Cenozoic: Kaiyodo Doedicurus, Glyptodon, Platybelodon and Meolania.

Marine life !
Ancient seas: PNSO Livyatan and CollectA Temnodontosaurus

Rays: Colorata Spotted eagle ray and Reef manta ray, Kaiyodo Spotted eagle ray and Bowmouth guitarfish.

Sharks: Kaiyodo  Oceanic whitetip shark, Papo Whale shark, Coplorata Tiger shark, Blue shark and Great white shark, Takara Megamouth shark

Mammals: PNSO Livyathan, Colorata Manatee and Dugong, Safari Ltd Spermwhale and CollectA Mink whale

A few more pics ?
Some Giant of the seas: Safari Ltd Spermwhale, Kaiyodo Atlantic Bluefin Tuna, Papo Whale shark and CollectA Temnodontosaurus

Three swimmers

Tails clubs

Horns and teeth

Elephants !

Turtles

a few Veggies
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Kikimalou's "Scale" collection - 1/50 shelf - updated August 2 2024   Kikimalou's "Scale" collection - 1/50 shelf - updated August 2 2024 EmptyFri Aug 02, 2024 2:39 pm

Always interesting stuff

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Kikimalou's "Scale" collection - 1/50 shelf - updated August 2 2024   Kikimalou's "Scale" collection - 1/50 shelf - updated August 2 2024 EmptyFri Aug 02, 2024 3:25 pm

The average quality of these 1:50 scale figures is really great despite their small scale. It is very good for large animals, especially those prehistoric and the cetaceans. I love your unusual comparisons. Very Happy

Jill

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Kikimalou's "Scale" collection - 1/50 shelf - updated August 2 2024   Kikimalou's "Scale" collection - 1/50 shelf - updated August 2 2024 EmptyFri Aug 02, 2024 6:43 pm

I knew sturgeons were huge fish but that is not a scale I expected!

The Kitan giraffe is so lovely and graceful, and I love the little snapping turtle! I am glad one of the few representatives of this scale in your collections is a modern reptile.
Back to top Go down
sunny

sunny

Country/State : uk

PostSubject: Re: Kikimalou's "Scale" collection - 1/50 shelf - updated August 2 2024   Kikimalou's "Scale" collection - 1/50 shelf - updated August 2 2024 EmptyFri Aug 02, 2024 7:38 pm

so interesting (as always!) to see your group shots. I particularly like the way you have grouped these ones, very humorous!
I'm always surprised by these comparison shots as well. There are so many Japanese figures at this small scale. I have the Ikimon tinys as well, yet I didn't expect to see so many elephants at this scale too. Very beautiful they all are though.

The sturgeon is such a beauty Christophe!

And so many small tapirs too!
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Kikimalou's "Scale" collection - 1/50 shelf - updated August 2 2024   Kikimalou's "Scale" collection - 1/50 shelf - updated August 2 2024 EmptySat Aug 03, 2024 1:09 am

widukind wrote:
Always interesting stuff

Thank you Andreas  Very Happy

Roger wrote:
The average quality of these 1:50 scale figures is really great despite their small scale. It is very good for large animals, especially those prehistoric and the cetaceans. I love your unusual comparisons. Very Happy

The 1/50 and smaller scales are ideal for cetaceans and large dinosaurs. Before the advent of PNSO and, even more so, Haolonggood, it was a must for a number of sauropods. Today the 1/35 is the new lighthouse of Alexandria but I still have a great affection for CollectA and its small ornithopods, they are very well made and so graceful for a modest sale price.
I love making comparisons between animals that have never met, I find it very amusing and, for me at least, very educational. The sturgeon and the elephant like the spinosaurus and the sperm whale, what a refreshing contrast!

Jill wrote:
I knew sturgeons were huge fish but that is not a scale I expected!

The Kitan giraffe is so lovely and graceful, and I love the little snapping turtle! I am glad one of the few representatives of this scale in your collections is a modern reptile.

Adult Chinese sturgeons can reach 5m long! Yes the Kitan giraffe is a real jewell, even if I dislike the imitation wood base. The little snapping turtle... These smaller models, such as the wild boar, are just as important as the larger models when displaying by scale. They add depth to a shelf like spices in dishes or salt in caramel.

sunny wrote:
so interesting (as always!) to see your group shots. I particularly like the way you have grouped these ones, very humorous!
I'm always surprised by these comparison shots as well. There are so many Japanese figures at this small scale. I have the Ikimon tinys as well, yet I didn't expect to see so many elephants at this scale too. Very beautiful they all are though.

The sturgeon is such a beauty Christophe!

And so many small tapirs too!

I have too many elephants and Malayan tapirs but I'm too weak to let some go. The Ikimon set is tiny but really nice, I would be so happy if this brand make more sets like this, a bit like what Bandai did in the early 2000's. Look at the Dromedary and calf, they are smal but still my favorites of the XXIth century productions. I myself always surprised when I make these comparison pics, I'm glad you like them too.
Back to top Go down
Joliezac

Joliezac

Country/State : New Jersey, USA

PostSubject: Re: Kikimalou's "Scale" collection - 1/50 shelf - updated August 2 2024   Kikimalou's "Scale" collection - 1/50 shelf - updated August 2 2024 EmptySun Aug 04, 2024 1:40 pm

I love your scale topics so much! Most of these figures I've never even heard of before. My favorite photo is the group of Sharks. cheers I love you

Animal Ark Website
Back to top Go down
https://joliezacc9d79.myportfolio.com/
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Kikimalou's "Scale" collection - 1/50 shelf - updated August 2 2024   Kikimalou's "Scale" collection - 1/50 shelf - updated August 2 2024 EmptyMon Aug 05, 2024 10:37 am

Beautiful photos again! I agree, it would be great if Ikimon made more micro animals. It is difficult to find figures smaller than toob size. Some of the early Bandai are too, and therefore quite a few are important for scale collections.

I haven't researched this well, but I am not so convinced that Chinese sturgeons can reach 5 m. This website says that 5 m is questionable, and other sources mention smaller maximum lengths.
Isn't the Yujin alligator snapping turtle meant to be a young one? I use it as an adult too. I thought I was cheating; good to know that we are partners in crime Wink. This post on the Toy Animal Blog claims that the CollectA minke whale is a dwarf minke whale, which I thought was interesting (and useful for 1/32 scale). Together with the Papo whale shark, it is one of the most beautiful large sea life models I have.

Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Kikimalou's "Scale" collection - 1/50 shelf - updated August 2 2024   Kikimalou's "Scale" collection - 1/50 shelf - updated August 2 2024 EmptyMon Aug 05, 2024 1:27 pm

Joliezac wrote:

I love your scale topics so much! Most of these figures I've never even heard of before. My favorite photo is the group of Sharks. cheers I love you

Thank you Jolie, my sharks are smiling with all their teeth  Very Happy

rogerpgvg wrote:
Beautiful photos again! I agree, it would be great if Ikimon made more micro animals. It is difficult to find figures smaller than toob size. Some of the early Bandai are too, and therefore quite a few are important for scale collections.

I haven't researched this well, but I am not so convinced that Chinese sturgeons can reach 5 m. This website says that 5 m is questionable, and other sources mention smaller maximum lengths.
Isn't the Yujin alligator snapping turtle meant to be a young one? I use it as an adult too. I thought I was cheating; good to know that we are partners in crime Wink. This post on the Toy Animal Blog claims that the CollectA minke whale is a dwarf minke whale, which I thought was interesting (and useful for 1/32 scale). Together with the Papo whale shark, it is one of the most beautiful large sea life models I have.

I don't have access to university documents but the sizes seem to vary between 346 and 487cm, even if some sites say 500cm.
I could have presented this sturgeon as a 4m animal on a 1/40 scale but I wanted to show its real gigantism. To do that I needed the presence of the other Asian giant, the elephant... I don't have one in 1/40 scale. Wink

As far as the alligator snapping turtle is concerned, I don't think we've committed any crime. I created the page on TAW in 2014 and I didn't specify our friend's age, as for the other turtles in the set. I think it was Froggies who had to rename the figurine in 2018 for some reason that I still don't know.

For the Minke whale, I was convinced it was a Common one but the ATB explanation is very convincing. It would mean my whale will have to reach the 1/40 soon  scratch Not collecting by scale is sometimes very exhausting  Laughing
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: Kikimalou's "Scale" collection - 1/50 shelf - updated August 2 2024   Kikimalou's "Scale" collection - 1/50 shelf - updated August 2 2024 EmptyThu Aug 08, 2024 2:09 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
It would mean my whale will have to reach the 1/40 soon scratch Not collecting by scale is sometimes very exhausting  Laughing

Especially exhausting if you have to carry a whale from one shelf to another Wink .

Kikimalou wrote:
As far as the alligator snapping turtle is concerned, I don't think we've committed any crime. I created the page on TAW in 2014 and I didn't specify our friend's age, as for the other turtles in the set. I think it was Froggies who had to rename the figurine in 2018 for some reason that I still don't know.

I thought it was a young turtle because Yujin also made a larger alligator snapping turtle. But I now see that the larger turtle was in the revised series, replacing the smaller one.  So the smaller one may indeed have been intended as an adult. On the other hand, it is smaller than the other turtles in the set. I thought the relatively long tail and large legs might suggest it is a juvenile. In any case, it doesn't matter too much as long as we are happy to use it as an adult.

Kikimalou wrote:
I don't have access to university documents but the sizes seem to vary between 346 and 487cm, even if some sites say 500cm.
I could have presented this sturgeon as a 4m animal on a 1/40 scale but I wanted to show its real gigantism. To do that I needed the presence of the other Asian giant, the elephant... I don't have one in 1/40 scale. Wink

I agree, it's a fun comparison and interesting to see how a 5 m sturgeon compares with an Asian elephant. I don't want to spoil your topic with more size information and distract from your beautiful collection, so I have put more information [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].

Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Kikimalou's "Scale" collection - 1/50 shelf - updated August 2 2024   Kikimalou's "Scale" collection - 1/50 shelf - updated August 2 2024 EmptyFri Aug 09, 2024 3:19 am

rogerpgvg wrote:
Kikimalou wrote:
It would mean my whale will have to reach the 1/40 soon scratch Not collecting by scale is sometimes very exhausting  Laughing
Especially exhausting if you have to carry a whale from one shelf to another Wink .

At 1/40 it is still possible  Laughing

rogerpgvg wrote:
I thought it was a young turtle because Yujin also made a larger alligator snapping turtle. But I now see that the larger turtle was in the revised series, replacing the smaller one.  So the smaller one may indeed have been intended as an adult. On the other hand, it is smaller than the other turtles in the set. I thought the relatively long tail and large legs might suggest it is a juvenile. In any case, it doesn't matter too much as long as we are happy to use it as an adult.

There are 8 smaller turtles in this set and, with the possible exception of the two sea turtles, I'm not convinced that they represent babies.

rogerpgvg wrote:
I agree, it's a fun comparison and interesting to see how a 5 m sturgeon compares with an Asian elephant. I don't want to spoil your topic with more size information and distract from your beautiful collection, so I have put more information [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].

The "Size and scale topic" is an ideal place indeed. That said, discussing problems of size and scale in my topics is not a problem at all, on the contrary. My collections, like my ideas, are not set in stone and will evolve as I make new additions and as discussions develop. I take great interest in everyone's ideas, information and opinions. I think that once a year, I will show the changes made in my various scales. For the moment I've still got 18 unpublished ones to show you, so stay tuned.
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: Kikimalou's "Scale" collection - 1/50 shelf - updated August 2 2024   Kikimalou's "Scale" collection - 1/50 shelf - updated August 2 2024 EmptyWed Aug 14, 2024 10:07 am

Kikimalou wrote:

rogerpgvg wrote:

There are 8 smaller turtles in this set and, with the possible exception of the two sea turtles, I'm not convinced that they represent babies.

Ah, I didn't know, I thought they were all larger. It's probably an adult then. I need to check whether I have a leaflet that tells us whether it is a juvenile or not.

Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Kikimalou's "Scale" collection - 1/50 shelf - updated August 2 2024   Kikimalou's "Scale" collection - 1/50 shelf - updated August 2 2024 EmptyWed Aug 14, 2024 10:39 am

The six turtles: Alligator snapping turtle, Cagle's map turtle, Chinese softshell turtle, Hermann's tortoise, Indian star tortoise, Spotted turtle + Loggerhead and Leatherback. Even the last ones shapes don't let me think they are especially juvenile.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kikimalou's "Scale" collection - 1/50 shelf - updated August 2 2024   Kikimalou's "Scale" collection - 1/50 shelf - updated August 2 2024 Empty

Back to top Go down

Kikimalou's "Scale" collection - 1/50 shelf - updated August 2 2024
Page 1 of 1