Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

some Kaiyodo "puzzle" figures

Go down 
+16
Cyhyraeth
Steve170
sauroid
Taos
aandmkw
Sergey
remowshake
HKHollinstone
Kristie
Roger
SUSANNE
ken yeo
widukind
Ana
Kikimalou
scot(t)
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
scot(t)

scot(t)

Country/State : USA

some Kaiyodo "puzzle" figures Empty
PostSubject: some Kaiyodo "puzzle" figures   some Kaiyodo "puzzle" figures EmptySat May 19, 2012 3:16 am

So it turns out I'm now completely hooked on the Kaiyodo ChocoQ Egg "puzzle" figures. So much so, I've almost completely stopped caring about Schleich figures. It's scary. Thanks go out to those of you who have posted pictures and talked about them here on STS. Christophe and Harriet come to mind, but I know there are others. Thank you!

For the very few of you out there that don't already know all about this, here is my understanding of what all these names and terms mean: [EDIT: see the later, helpful, explanations by sphyrna18 -- on about pages 5 and 6 -- of the relationship between the companies Kaiyodo, Furuta, and Takara; as well as some of the subsequent discussion. It is really helpful for learning about these figures.]

(1) Kaiyodo is the company. They make lots of Anime PVC models, which makes it hard sometimes to find animals figures on eBay.
(2) Kaiyodo makes several different lines of plastic animals. These ones are "choco egg" figures because, apparently, at one time or another, they could be found inside chocolate eggs; much like "Kinder Eggs." Eat the chocolate, there's a plastic capsule inside. Open it up and find the puzzle and instructions.
(3) Okay, perhaps there was never any chocolate involved, ever. Honestly, I really don't know. [EDIT: There was. See Kiki's comment below, on this page, and sphyrna18's and Kiki's comments on pages 5 and 6.] But I have had some arrive in "egg"-shaped plastic capsules that open up by pulling them apart into two pieces. Others just came in small clear plastic bags.
(4) Regardless, inside one will find a piece of paper with information and instructions (see below for a picture) and about 3-5 pieces of plastic which, when put together properly, make a lovely little animal figurine. The fact that you have to put them together is apparently why they are sometimes called "puzzle" models by many people. No glue is required; they just snap together. And one doesn't actually need to "puzzle" anything out. It is very simple; and there are instructions.

Here is a picture of one of the leaflets included with a figure:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
On the other side is a list (with pictures) of somewhere between 12 to 40 other figures that belong to a particular series (in this case, it's series 9).

Here are pictures of two of some of my many favorites from this line: the Copper Pheasant and the Female Green Grass Lizard. After posting these, I'll do a brief "walkaround" of the Northern (or Hokkaido) Red Fox (vulpus vulpus schrencki).

I think they are gorgeous. I know some people in the forum are not keen on the fact that one can (usually) see where the parts come together. I seem to remember Andreas remarking somewhere that being able to see the seams made the animal look like it had been chopped apart and put back together. I completely understand and I'm surprised that it no longer bothers me. It is especially prominent on the fox (as you'll see below). I've learned not to care, but I completely understand if you do. C'est la vie.

Last edited by scot(t) on Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:50 am; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : see EDIT's in text -- I just reference some helpful addtions to the story behind these types of figures))
Back to top Go down
scot(t)

scot(t)

PostSubject: Northern Red Fox Walkaround   some Kaiyodo "puzzle" figures EmptySat May 19, 2012 3:31 am

Here is my (very brief) "walkaround" (it is a walkaround-lite, if you like) of the Kaiyodo ChocoQ Northern Red Fox. Hands down my favorite fox of the figures I own. (In fact, I'll end with a comparison shot).

And finally, here is my skulk of foxes (except for the two kits), all by Schleich except for the tiny Kaiyodo in the middle. As you can see, he is quite small.

Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: some Kaiyodo "puzzle" figures   some Kaiyodo "puzzle" figures EmptySat May 19, 2012 7:21 am

Congratulation for your new addiction Scott, I hope you will never recover Laughing

A "world" is opening to you... They are so many many nice models.

About the joint lines, they are less visible than on the pics and I also "forget" them when the animals are on a display. What I don't forget is the accuracy and the details on Japanese models. Even small, they are vey good lesons for Occidental manufacturers. I understand the fox is your favorite... It is awesome Cool More fox than the four SCHLEICH Wink

Last edited by Kikimalou on Sat May 19, 2012 8:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: some Kaiyodo "puzzle" figures   some Kaiyodo "puzzle" figures EmptySat May 19, 2012 7:38 am

Wonderful animals Scott! I love them I love you Congratulations! cheers cheers cheers
Fox is indeed probably the most beautiful fox figure from any brand Cool cheers
I also love the pheasant and lizard and Kaiyodo brand drunken

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: some Kaiyodo "puzzle" figures   some Kaiyodo "puzzle" figures EmptySat May 19, 2012 8:24 am

Congratulations!!! Wonderful animals!! My favourite is the pheasant, i think i will add him to my zoo. cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
ken yeo

ken yeo

Country/State : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: some Kaiyodo "puzzle" figures   some Kaiyodo "puzzle" figures EmptySat May 19, 2012 8:36 am

Congratulations! I like the fox too!!

Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: some Kaiyodo "puzzle" figures   some Kaiyodo "puzzle" figures EmptySat May 19, 2012 9:07 am

CONGRATULATIONS, Scot cheers

They are absolutely wonderful, these little puzzles, I adore them also drunken

Yes, the fox is (also) a masterpiece, - the way he tilts his head a little, listening for the sound of a mouse. The way he moves ! He really moves, doesn`t he ? Very Happy

Thankyou also for the description of the Kayodo.
Often we forget that there are provbably people who have never heard of them befor...I never had , before I joined this forum Very Happy

Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: some Kaiyodo "puzzle" figures   some Kaiyodo "puzzle" figures EmptySat May 19, 2012 2:03 pm

Scott, this topic is presented in a very interesting way and Susanne already explained why. Thanks for opening it. :)
I don't have a single Caiyodo, only a Furuta fox I received from Ken but of course it kills me to see such a fantastic fox missing in my collection... and an identified subspecies! What a Face
Watching your nice pictures and from other members I can see the brand is very accurate, more realistic than regular brands in general but a completly different line, I guess. Maybe they don't work as a replacement for Schleich or similar brand. :studyOnly a different line. :)
Congratlations for all of your figures, Schleich included. Very Happy

Kristie

PostSubject: Re: some Kaiyodo "puzzle" figures   some Kaiyodo "puzzle" figures EmptySat May 19, 2012 2:10 pm

Congrats Scott! Though I am one of the ones that do not really like being able to see the puzzle lines, I do LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that pheasant! cheers

-Kristie
Back to top Go down
HKHollinstone

HKHollinstone

Country/State : England, CUMBRIA

PostSubject: Re: some Kaiyodo "puzzle" figures   some Kaiyodo "puzzle" figures EmptySat May 19, 2012 2:31 pm

They are gorgeous Scott, congratulations! Good you're hooked on Kaiyodo now too drunken it's terribly contagious cheers
That must be the best fox figurine I've seen yet, he's so nice. The copper pheasant is on my wish list, beautiful figure.

Back to top Go down
http://hkhollinstone.weebly.com/
remowshake

remowshake

PostSubject: Re: some Kaiyodo "puzzle" figures   some Kaiyodo "puzzle" figures EmptySat May 19, 2012 4:29 pm

They are fantastic ! king

Congratulations ! :)

scot(t)

PostSubject: Re: some Kaiyodo "puzzle" figures   some Kaiyodo "puzzle" figures EmptySat May 19, 2012 6:30 pm

Thanks to everybody for your thoughtful and generous comments!
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: some Kaiyodo "puzzle" figures   some Kaiyodo "puzzle" figures EmptySat May 19, 2012 11:17 pm

Roger wrote:

I don't have a single Caiyodo, only a Furuta fox I received from Ken but of course it kills me to see such a fantastic fox missing in my collection... and an identified subspecies! What a Face

Roger, FURUTA models are KAIYODO, FURUTA made the chocolate and KAIYODO the animal Wink
Back to top Go down
Sergey

Sergey

Country/State : S. - Petersburg, Russia

PostSubject: Re: some Kaiyodo "puzzle" figures   some Kaiyodo "puzzle" figures EmptySun May 20, 2012 12:14 am

widukind wrote:
Congratulations!!! Wonderful animals!!

I agree absolutely! cheers cheers cheers

Last edited by Sergey on Sun May 20, 2012 12:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
scot(t)

scot(t)

PostSubject: Re: some Kaiyodo "puzzle" figures   some Kaiyodo "puzzle" figures EmptySun May 20, 2012 12:18 am

Kikimalou wrote:
Roger wrote:

Roger, FURUTA models are KAIYODO, FURUTA made the chocolate and KAIYODO the animal Wink

Ah hah! That is interesting! Thank you Christophe. More information. I love it.

Kikimalou wrote:
[justify]
About the joint lines, they are less visible than on the pics and I also "forget" them when the animals are on a display. What I don't forget is the accuracy and the details on Japanese models.

Thank you for all your kinds words earlier. And I agree entirely with what you said (above) about the joint lines. I just don't see them when I have the figure in my hand and am admiring it in person. The detail is so impressive, and it is exactly the type of enjoyment I felt when I first started collection Schleich animals.

Another set of animals which you introduced me to as well is the Colorata sets. I got a hold of the Reptile set after seeing you post on the Aldabra Giant Tortoise and the Komodo. My favorite, however, is the Boa. Amazing.

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: some Kaiyodo "puzzle" figures   some Kaiyodo "puzzle" figures EmptySun May 20, 2012 12:18 am

Kikimalou wrote:
Roger wrote:

Laughing geek Christophe, honestly it was exactly it what I wanted to hear. Very Happy As I don't have the chocolate you are telling me that I am the proud owner of a Caiyodo series 7 thanks to Ken, the man that told me the way to this place where we have fun with friends, learn and smile! :) Thanks Kiki! monkey cheers

scot(t)

PostSubject: Re: some Kaiyodo "puzzle" figures   some Kaiyodo "puzzle" figures EmptySun May 20, 2012 12:20 am

SUSANNE wrote:

Yes, the fox is (also) a masterpiece, - the way he tilts his head a little, listening for the sound of a mouse. The way he moves ! He really moves, doesn`t he ? Very Happy

That's absolutely a perfect way of describing it Susanne. thank you!
Back to top Go down
scot(t)

scot(t)

PostSubject: Re: some Kaiyodo "puzzle" figures   some Kaiyodo "puzzle" figures EmptySun May 20, 2012 12:25 am

Roger wrote:

As I don't have the chocolate you are telling me that I am the proud owner of a Caiyodo series 7 thanks to Ken, the man that told me the way to this place where we have fun with friends, learn and smile! :) Thanks Kiki! monkey cheers

You will have to post pictures Roger!

Roger wrote:
Maybe they don't work as a replacement for Schleich or similar brand. study Only a different line. :)

Thanks for all your comments, but I wanted to note my agreement with this. My affection for the Kaiyodo doesn't replace my interest in Schleich, Papo, and the other comparable brands. They complement each other nicely.

Last edited by scot(t) on Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
scot(t)

scot(t)

PostSubject: Re: some Kaiyodo "puzzle" figures   some Kaiyodo "puzzle" figures EmptySun May 20, 2012 12:32 am

ana wrote:

widukind wrote:
My favourite is the pheasant, i think i will add him to my zoo.

Kristie wrote:
I do LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that pheasant!

HKHollinstone wrote:
The copper pheasant is on my wish list, beautiful figure.

Anna, Andreas, Kristie, and Harriet: The Pheasant is amazing; my standout favorite of the Kaiyodo so far and likely on my all-time top-ten animal list. I am hoping that you all find yourselves with the figure one day very soon.
Back to top Go down
scot(t)

scot(t)

PostSubject: Re: some Kaiyodo "puzzle" figures   some Kaiyodo "puzzle" figures EmptySun May 20, 2012 12:39 am

Here is the Colorata Boa, by the way. Just wonderful.

a picture of an actual boa, for comparison purposes.

(and with that, I'll try to slow down my current commenting frenzy.)

Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: some Kaiyodo "puzzle" figures   some Kaiyodo "puzzle" figures EmptySun May 20, 2012 8:59 am

scot(t) wrote:

Another set of animals which you introduced me to as well is the Colorata sets. I got a hold of the Reptile set after seeing you post on the Aldabra Giant Tortoise and the Komodo. My favorite, however, is the Boa. Amazing.

cheers Great, my favorite in this set is... scratch ... scratch ... My favorite ! sunny

scot(t) wrote:

Roger wrote:
Maybe they don't work as a replacement for Schleich or similar brand. study Only a different line. :)

Thanks for all your comments, but I wanted to note my agreement with this. My affection for the Kaiyodo doesn't replace my interest in Schleich, Papo, and the other comparable brands. They compliment each other nicely.

The point when we began this forum was to spread Collector's world and enjoyed Collector's life, there is so much fantastic models, brands and animals with their own style, we really don't need to narrow what we have to like Wink There is enough place, at least in our mind and heart to enjoy many many figurines.

scot(t) wrote:

It's amzing to see how wildlife is able to imitate COLORATA drunken Laughing By the way I like your square pics Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: some Kaiyodo "puzzle" figures   some Kaiyodo "puzzle" figures EmptySun May 20, 2012 10:08 am

scot(t) wrote:
ana wrote:

widukind wrote:
My favourite is the pheasant, i think i will add him to my zoo.

Kristie wrote:
I do LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that pheasant!

HKHollinstone wrote:
The copper pheasant is on my wish list, beautiful figure.

Anna, Andreas, Kristie, and Harriet: The Pheasant is amazing; my standout favorite of the Kaiyodo so far and likely on my all-time top-ten animal list. I am hoping that you all find yourselves with the figure one day very soon.

cheers cheers cheers Yes, pheasant is amazing cheers How luckily, I have it too and must say it also is on my top list (which cannot be as narrow as top ten affraid ) Wink

scot(t) wrote:

a picture of an actual boa, for comparison purposes.

(and with that, I'll try to slow down my current commenting frenzy.)

Wonderful boa!!! Incredible, I love it Very Happy And note that I'm not the real fan of snakes Shocked Many congratulations!!!!

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: some Kaiyodo "puzzle" figures   some Kaiyodo "puzzle" figures EmptySun May 20, 2012 10:35 am

Kikimalou wrote:
Roger wrote:

Gosh Shocked
I have to change that on my site Embarassed

Laughing Laughing Laughing THANKYOU, Christophe cheers

ken yeo

ken yeo

Country/State : Singapore

PostSubject: Re: some Kaiyodo "puzzle" figures   some Kaiyodo "puzzle" figures EmptyMon May 21, 2012 4:03 pm

The Colorata Boa is so realistic!! Let me think about buying...

remowshake

PostSubject: Re: some Kaiyodo "puzzle" figures   some Kaiyodo "puzzle" figures EmptyTue May 22, 2012 12:00 pm

Very Realistic ! Surprised

Love it Razz

PostSubject: Re: some Kaiyodo "puzzle" figures   some Kaiyodo "puzzle" figures Empty

Back to top Go down

some Kaiyodo "puzzle" figures
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next