Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Geospiza fortis' Animal Models

Go down 
+41
Mgarat
LeeAnn
MiniZoo
widukind
costicuba
SUSANNE
Ana
Saarlooswolfhound
Kikimalou
Roger
Wilorvise
A.R.Garcia
Geospiza fortis
littlebear
Bloodrayne
Dum_my
Tarunyada
Carola
signatus
ulinuk
Shanti
Bonobo
lucky luke
Fisva
Noémi
Florian
kudu11
Zelvik
SyLoBe
koniminiatures
elephas_maximus
Defteros
JonasV
cattlecollector
animalluvr6
Philter4
bjarki12
trevok4
A-J
Joan Milelire
HKHollinstone
45 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12 ... 18  Next
AuthorMessage
Geospiza fortis

Geospiza fortis

Country/State : United States

Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 7 EmptyMon Mar 03, 2014 10:30 pm

Roger wrote:
Geospiza fortis wrote:
Thanks both of you. Roger, as for what you said, I have improved more than I had expected over the past year alone. It gets frustrating though, as I worked out a new texturing technique before I even finished painting my rhino.   Laughing 

I am sorry, I didn't want to cause you any kind of frustration. Your work is formidable and I am not even able of making a constructive comment, much more a great sculpture as you do. pale
I mean only that your figure would improve with more visible folded parts and with texture, yours look great, but this technic would probably work better in an elephant. elephant
If you notice, while yours looks more or less uniforme, you will see that in the picture below of a real rhino, areas like shoulders and neck have different textures, in fact it is more wrinkled in neck area than in shoulder area, for example.
ABout folds, I mean the bottom of the neck and brest, and maybe also between sholder and leg. Less plain flanks would also help.
But the work is magnificent.
Your great bison, will also look surely better, if you find a deep contrast between woolly and sparse fur areas. Very Happy

I am sorry, I didn't mean to blame anything on you. I was only thinking critically of my own work. You are more than capable of making a good constructive comment. I agree completely with what you said, and, when the time comes, I will use it if I were to make another rhino. As for elephants, I have decided to make one soon. I probably won't start it for a while, though.  elephant

Thank you, Roger, and everyone else as well for the supportive comments.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 7 EmptyMon Mar 03, 2014 11:09 pm

Geospiza fortis wrote:

I am sorry, I didn't mean to blame anything on you. I was only thinking critically of my own work. You are more than capable of making a good constructive comment. I agree completely with what you said, and, when the time comes, I will use it if I were to make another rhino. As for elephants, I have decided to make one soon. I probably won't start it for a while, though.  elephant

Thank you, Roger, and everyone else as well for the supportive comments.

Great! Very Happy It is good that you are exigent with your own works, it will help you a lot to be better and better. Very Happy
It is a joy to see all your talent developing and the beautiful figures you're doing. Very Happy

Geospiza fortis

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 7 EmptyTue Mar 04, 2014 2:58 am

Thanks.
Here's a little experimenting on the bison's fur texture. The pictures I'm using were taken in summer, so there isn't as much heavy wool.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Its just a simple trial. Any thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Bonobo

Bonobo

Country/State : Deutschland/Germany (NRW)

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 7 EmptyTue Mar 04, 2014 12:01 pm

looks great Very Happy keep it up cheers 

LeeAnn

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 7 EmptyTue Mar 04, 2014 2:25 pm

Excellent  Applause 

Carola

Country/State : Denmark

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 7 EmptyTue Mar 04, 2014 5:56 pm

Bonobo wrote:
looks great Very Happy keep it up cheers 

I agree  Wink cheers 

Geospiza fortis

Geospiza fortis

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 7 EmptySun Mar 09, 2014 12:50 am

Thank you Carola, 4U, and Bonobo! I realised I haven't checked this thread in a while. The bison is very near to being finished, and the bear has already been baked. I have a question, however. Is there a variety of paint which is best to use? I use Reeve's Acrylic paints and they seem a little too glossy.
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 7 EmptySun Mar 09, 2014 8:07 am

Also a wonderful american buffalo

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
HKHollinstone

HKHollinstone

Country/State : England, CUMBRIA

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 7 EmptySun Mar 09, 2014 6:16 pm

Looks great! I use System 3 Daler & Rowney Acrylics, they're very good quality. To avoid glossiness, you could try the dry brush technique.

Back to top Go down
http://hkhollinstone.weebly.com/
Geospiza fortis

Geospiza fortis

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 7 EmptySun Mar 09, 2014 9:30 pm

Thank you Widukind, and Harriet. As for the paints, I think I will try those next time I visit the store.

I am also finished sculpting Esther, my female bison. Just took a few quick photos, and into the oven she goes!
This last photo ^ reminds me of older US nickels.

And here she was in life:
[Not my Picture]
Back to top Go down
HKHollinstone

HKHollinstone

Country/State : England, CUMBRIA

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 7 EmptySun Mar 09, 2014 11:41 pm

She's really impressive! Can't wait to see her painted.

Back to top Go down
http://hkhollinstone.weebly.com/
Geospiza fortis

Geospiza fortis

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 7 EmptySun Mar 09, 2014 11:55 pm

Thank you, Harriet, but before she's painted I want to finish her sibling, Ryan. Hopefully he won't take nearly as long to make.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 7 EmptyMon Mar 10, 2014 12:53 am

Getting interesting your strong girl! Very Happy

JonasV

Country/State : Finland

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 7 EmptyMon Mar 10, 2014 12:57 am

Great job! I'm very exciting to see her as well! cheers 

Animals are my friends. I don't eat my friends. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
LeeAnn

LeeAnn

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 7 EmptyMon Mar 10, 2014 12:35 pm

cheers cheers cheers Applause 

Zelvik

Country/State : czech republic

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 7 EmptyMon Mar 10, 2014 9:41 pm

Your models I like very much. They are getting better and better. You're going in the right direction. Applause cheers sunny 
Back to top Go down
http://safafariparkpodklicem.wz.cz
Shanti

Shanti

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 7 EmptyTue Mar 11, 2014 5:44 pm

Stunning!!  Applause 
Back to top Go down
bjarki12

bjarki12

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 7 EmptyWed Mar 12, 2014 1:33 am

Your bison is looking wonderful so far, Geospiza! Can't wait to see it finished!
Back to top Go down
Geospiza fortis

Geospiza fortis

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 7 EmptyFri Mar 14, 2014 12:56 am

Thank you for your positive comments! I just got her out of the oven- she's cracked. Does anyone have experience fixing cracks? I covered it with Super sculpey and textured it again, but the crack was still there.
Back to top Go down
Defteros

Defteros

Country/State : Mexico

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 7 EmptyFri Mar 14, 2014 1:55 am

Geospiza fortis wrote:
Thank you for your positive comments! I just got her out of the oven- she's cracked. Does anyone have experience fixing cracks? I covered it with Super sculpey and textured it again, but the crack was still there.

There's no use in using sculpey to fix cracks in already baked pieces because it just won't bond, so avoid that. I used epoxy putty like the one used for plumbing to repair cracks in my cape buffalo head and it looks fine to me. I've read that you can use a piece of baked sculpey, grind it or use a nail file to create dust from it, then mix the sculpey dust with epoxy glue to create a paste that you can use to fill cracks and then just wait for it to harden, no need to rebake.
Good luck!
Back to top Go down
Geospiza fortis

Geospiza fortis

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 7 EmptyFri Mar 14, 2014 1:58 am

Thank you. I guess I'll get some plumber's putty, then! The last time I filled cracks it was with silicone. This will definitely be better.
Back to top Go down
LeeAnn

LeeAnn

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 7 EmptySat Mar 15, 2014 1:00 pm

Probably too late Sleep but you can also try to use superglue and baking soda.

Geospiza fortis

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 7 EmptyMon Mar 17, 2014 1:04 am

That's a great idea, 4U!

I just started a lion this weekend, sorry for the bad picture, I only had a second earlier to take it:
And my tortoise has been baked:
And so has my bear:
I haven't painted any of these yet, as I haven't gotten to the store to find new paints yet.
Also, as for my school project, you can expect to see these species:
Przewalski's Horse
Andean Bear (still unpainted)
Hood Island Tortoise (unpainted)
King Cobra
Lion (started sculpting)
Brazilian tapir (nearly finished sculpting)
Babirusa (needs a re-make)
Bongo (Started armature)
Dromedary Camel (started armature)
Temminck's Tragopan
Blue peafowl
Indian Elephant (endcap)
That list as probably for more my reference than anything...  Laughing , but I thought I'd post it anyway.
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 7 EmptyMon Mar 17, 2014 5:27 am

Beautieful work again!!

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Tarunyada

Tarunyada

Country/State : The Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 7 EmptyMon Mar 17, 2014 5:33 am

That looks great! I love the anatomy! I can't wait to see some finished, great work! cheers

Back to top Go down
http://tarunyada.weebly.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Geospiza fortis' Animal Models   Geospiza fortis' Animal Models - Page 7 Empty

Back to top Go down

Geospiza fortis' Animal Models
Page 7 of 18Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12 ... 18  Next