Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Megaptera's Collection

Go down 
+30
RtasVadumee
Advicot
spacelab
Steve170
MartinH
Saarlooswolfhound
Caspian
Caracal
1claire
Megaptera
Tarunyada
Pardofelis
Roger
widukind
Jolly Reaper
Rakel
sauroid
EmmaMary
Wilorvise
75senta75
barracudacat
Kikimalou
Anne from Norway
lucky luke
landrover
CWGross
bmathison1972
SUSANNE
Bloodrayne
Taos
34 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 35 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Megaptera

Megaptera

Country/State : Germany

Megaptera's Collection - Page 31 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Megaptera's Collection   Megaptera's Collection - Page 31 EmptyWed Jan 15, 2020 7:32 pm

And another newcomer: my only new Schleich model this year, the Santa Cruz Giant Tortoise:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Megaptera's Collection   Megaptera's Collection - Page 31 EmptyThu Jan 16, 2020 7:18 am

Oh interesting, so that figure I will buy too

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
spacelab

spacelab

Country/State : Greece

PostSubject: Re: Megaptera's Collection   Megaptera's Collection - Page 31 EmptyThu Jan 16, 2020 5:48 pm

Is the green tortoise on the right side the old Schleich? If so, the new one looks much smaller.. Is that so?
Back to top Go down
Megaptera

Megaptera

PostSubject: Re: Megaptera's Collection   Megaptera's Collection - Page 31 EmptyThu Jan 16, 2020 8:46 pm

Yes, it's the older one, which is an Aldabra giant Tortoise. The new Schleich Tortoise really is a bit smaller.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Megaptera's Collection   Megaptera's Collection - Page 31 EmptyThu Jan 16, 2020 9:25 pm

It is always surprising for me how far you can go when identifying species.
Wikipedia only tells that Santa Cruz tortoises tend to have domed shells, short necks and legs. They look all alike to me, it is good to have people like you researching deeper .

Megaptera

PostSubject: Re: Megaptera's Collection   Megaptera's Collection - Page 31 EmptyThu Jan 16, 2020 9:54 pm

Thank you Roger. An old professor of mine told me this long ago, that the Santa Cruz is often found with rings on its shell. Moreover, the shape of the shell also fits with this species. Only the colour of the shell seems a bit odd, but Schleich sometimes uses more unusual colours.
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

Country/State : Salt Lake City, UT

PostSubject: Re: Megaptera's Collection   Megaptera's Collection - Page 31 EmptyThu Jan 16, 2020 10:16 pm

any similarities must be purely coincidental, pending confirmation by Schleich. But hey, like all 'generic' figures we can call them whatever we like for our personal collections Cool
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Megaptera's Collection   Megaptera's Collection - Page 31 EmptyThu Jan 16, 2020 11:02 pm

A handsome tortoise, congratulations!

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Megaptera

Megaptera

PostSubject: Re: Megaptera's Collection   Megaptera's Collection - Page 31 EmptyFri Jan 17, 2020 6:29 pm

bmathison1972 wrote:
any similarities must be purely coincidental, pending confirmation by Schleich. But hey, like all 'generic' figures we can call them whatever we like for our personal collections Cool

Your absolutely right. It's the just another generic Tortoise from Schleich. But as collectors, we can search for a species that fits best with this model. And the Santa Cruz fits the best.
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Megaptera's Collection   Megaptera's Collection - Page 31 EmptyFri Jan 17, 2020 6:46 pm

Megaptera wrote:
bmathison1972 wrote:

Your absolutely right. It's the just another generic Tortoise from Schleich. But as collectors, we can search for a species that fits best with this model. And the Santa Cruz fits the best.

While many of us like to have a company give us an exact species when they market a figure, it can actually benefit us for them NOT to. Because then we can assign our own. For example, I have the Kaiyodo great comorant, so I can make the Papo 2020 figure the North American species, if I wanted to :) :) :)
Back to top Go down
Megaptera

Megaptera

PostSubject: Re: Megaptera's Collection   Megaptera's Collection - Page 31 EmptyFri Jan 17, 2020 9:02 pm

Very interesting. Do you mean the Double-crested Cormorant?
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Megaptera's Collection   Megaptera's Collection - Page 31 EmptyFri Jan 17, 2020 10:30 pm

Megaptera wrote:

Sure. There is nothing in the design of the figure that says it cannot be ;-)
Back to top Go down
Megaptera

Megaptera

PostSubject: Re: Megaptera's Collection   Megaptera's Collection - Page 31 EmptySat Jan 18, 2020 7:35 pm

bmathison1972 wrote:
Megaptera wrote:

Sure. There is nothing in the design of the figure that says it cannot be ;-)

Thank you very much. This is good to know. study
Back to top Go down
Megaptera

Megaptera

PostSubject: Re: Megaptera's Collection   Megaptera's Collection - Page 31 EmptyWed Jan 22, 2020 6:37 pm

Because I'm also collector of famous cattle breeds, I decided to add the Hereford Bull from CollectA to my collection:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
bmathison1972

bmathison1972

PostSubject: Re: Megaptera's Collection   Megaptera's Collection - Page 31 EmptyWed Jan 22, 2020 7:13 pm

I have the new Hereford cow. I will be expanding my cattle breeds this year; cattle is one domestic species I don't mind multiple breeds of. Will probably get the 2020 CollectA Terol Gray and maybe hunt down a Safari Holstein.
Back to top Go down
Megaptera

Megaptera

PostSubject: Re: Megaptera's Collection   Megaptera's Collection - Page 31 EmptyWed Jan 22, 2020 7:49 pm

bmathison1972 wrote:
I have the new Hereford cow. I will be expanding my cattle breeds this year; cattle is one domestic species I don't mind multiple breeds of. Will probably get the 2020 CollectA Terol Gray and maybe hunt down a Safari Holstein.

I also want to get the Terol Gray Cattle Very Happy
And, I have to check the Safari Holstein one study
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Megaptera's Collection   Megaptera's Collection - Page 31 EmptyWed Jan 22, 2020 9:58 pm

I think a collection with representatives of the different breeds of cattle is a very good subject to collect. There is some diversity among major brands and they are tendicially at the same scale. They are also made with a good level of quality, we are not anymore in that era when cattle toys were called black and white bulls, red and white bulls and things like that.

Megaptera

PostSubject: Re: Megaptera's Collection   Megaptera's Collection - Page 31 EmptyThu Jan 23, 2020 5:34 am

Roger wrote:
I think a collection with representatives of the different breeds of cattle is a very good subject to collect. There is some diversity among major brands and they are tendicially at the same scale. They are also made with a good level of quality, we are not anymore in that era when cattle toys were called black and white bulls, red and white bulls and things like that.

Yes, those breeds were often very difficult to identify pale
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Megaptera's Collection   Megaptera's Collection - Page 31 EmptyThu Jan 23, 2020 9:53 pm

Megaptera wrote:
Roger wrote:

Yes, those breeds were often very difficult to identify pale

They were rough interpretations of the very popular Holsteins and the same moulds were more than good to make cheap red Holsteins. geek

Megaptera

PostSubject: Re: Megaptera's Collection   Megaptera's Collection - Page 31 EmptyFri Jan 24, 2020 8:51 pm

Some of the older Holstein cattle, especially the ones with short legs, could be also so called Niederrungs Cattle, which is the ancestor of the Holstein Cattle.
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Megaptera's Collection   Megaptera's Collection - Page 31 EmptyFri Jan 24, 2020 9:05 pm

It is a very beautyful hereford Very Happy Applause

Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Megaptera's Collection   Megaptera's Collection - Page 31 EmptySat Jan 25, 2020 12:41 am

Megaptera wrote:
Some of the older Holstein cattle, especially the ones with short legs, could be also so called Niederrungs Cattle, which is the ancestor of the Holstein Cattle.

Yes, but cattle figures with short legs are a result of the sculptors breeding. Wink

Megaptera

PostSubject: Re: Megaptera's Collection   Megaptera's Collection - Page 31 EmptySat Jan 25, 2020 9:54 am

SUSANNE wrote:
It is a very beautyful hereford Very Happy Applause

Thank you very much Very Happy

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]: And because of that, we have some more species or breeds to collect Smile
Back to top Go down
Advicot

Advicot

Country/State : A farm in Britiain

PostSubject: Re: Megaptera's Collection   Megaptera's Collection - Page 31 EmptySat Jan 25, 2020 11:57 am

I love your collection [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] I have some cabinets being made for my giant collection, and I love how you identified the new Schliech tortoise that I've decided to reject.

"Our planet is in crisis. The monster of this earth, is not a tiger nor a lion or shark. It's us we've destroyed the planet." (My own quote)
Back to top Go down
Megaptera

Megaptera

PostSubject: Re: Megaptera's Collection   Megaptera's Collection - Page 31 EmptySun Jan 26, 2020 10:16 am

Advicot wrote:
I love your collection [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] I have some cabinets being made for my giant collection, and I love how you identified the new Schliech tortoise that I've decided to reject.

Thank you very much, Advicot. It is quite hard to identify a certain species. But it is known, that the Santa Cruz species has ring-like patterns on the shell.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Megaptera's Collection   Megaptera's Collection - Page 31 Empty

Back to top Go down

Megaptera's Collection
Page 31 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 35 ... 40  Next