Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Gecko08’s Collection & Recent Acquisitions

Go down 
+17
Pardofelis
rogerpgvg
Kikimalou
landrover
costicuba
Bonnie
Saarlooswolfhound
Wilorvise
Caracal
Taos
pipsxlch
Roger
SUSANNE
Advicot
Tiermann
widukind
Gecko08
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 19, 20, 21
AuthorMessage
pipsxlch

pipsxlch

Country/State : US/Florida

Gecko08’s Collection & Recent Acquisitions - Page 21 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gecko08’s Collection & Recent Acquisitions   Gecko08’s Collection & Recent Acquisitions - Page 21 EmptySat Aug 28, 2021 4:55 am

I remember reading After Man as a library book when I was about your age- I enjoyed it immensely, and checked it out many times. I looked up Dougal Dixon books not long ago, but they've gotten very expensive.

Primeval books should be fun!
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Gecko08’s Collection & Recent Acquisitions   Gecko08’s Collection & Recent Acquisitions - Page 21 EmptySat Aug 28, 2021 4:56 am

Really great new models and books! I will have to check out the After Man title sometime.

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
pipsxlch

pipsxlch

PostSubject: Re: Gecko08’s Collection & Recent Acquisitions   Gecko08’s Collection & Recent Acquisitions - Page 21 EmptySat Aug 28, 2021 5:38 am

You reminded me that I do own 1 Dougal Dixon book, The New Dinosaurs, a Christmas gift of many years ago. It's a fun one too!
Back to top Go down
Gecko08

Gecko08

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: Gecko08’s Collection & Recent Acquisitions   Gecko08’s Collection & Recent Acquisitions - Page 21 EmptySat Sep 04, 2021 3:48 pm

When I was looking around after the hurricane, I spotted a few frogs taking shelter from the storm.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I got around to painting the Ediacaran figures. Since information is on my other post about them, I’ll just show the painted versions with no facts.
Spriggina
Obamus
Fractofusus
Mawsonites (fun fact: nobody really knows what this creature is. Leading theories include, a colony of smaller animals, a jellyfish (that’s what I painted it off of), or tracks in the sand from a creature walking).
Kimberella
Dickinsonia
Now that they are painted, i can make some group shots on my group shot topic.

Back to top Go down
Gecko08

Gecko08

PostSubject: Re: Gecko08’s Collection & Recent Acquisitions   Gecko08’s Collection & Recent Acquisitions - Page 21 EmptyTue Sep 07, 2021 10:16 pm

When I found a box in the mail explaining the history of the Daleks, I was confused.
When I opened the box and saw the contents, my confusing became excitement.
The 2006 Primeval Mer Creature. This creature is a seal-like inhabitant of the future that Cutter speculated evolved from primates. Dougal Dixon’s Swimming Monkey perhaps?
Interesting idea. The Mer Creature’s face sculpt sports short tusks use probably for capturing fish. The mouth is not posable, but the flippers, legs, and tail are.
Here it is with Nick Cutter from the Primeval human line. The humans are around 1:12 scale, so if we are assuming all the creatures are the same scale, this puts the Mer creature at around 9 feet in length: but according to Primeval’s fandom page, the Mer Creatures are 14 feet long, so 1:12 would be inncorrect. The actual scale would be around 1:18, making it in scale with Mattel’s Jurassic Park line.
I have to admit, it does look a lot more intimidating with the 1:18 human.
Future Fight!
These are the only Future creatures that were made into figures (unless you count Kaiyodo’s The Future is Wild line, which I am reluctant to get unless I can find a lower price).

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Gecko08’s Collection & Recent Acquisitions   Gecko08’s Collection & Recent Acquisitions - Page 21 EmptyTue Sep 07, 2021 10:37 pm

The idea is intringuing. We often try to think how seals evolved from dog or bear like creatures or whatever. It is nice to immagine how it would be from a primate. We know evolution is not exactly as we think but it is great to speculate.

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Gecko08’s Collection & Recent Acquisitions   Gecko08’s Collection & Recent Acquisitions - Page 21 EmptyTue Sep 07, 2021 10:59 pm

Very interesting model and idea, I'd never seen it before! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
Gecko08

Gecko08

PostSubject: Re: Gecko08’s Collection & Recent Acquisitions   Gecko08’s Collection & Recent Acquisitions - Page 21 EmptyFri Sep 10, 2021 2:17 am

I found a bizarre Rhynchosaur in the mail today. The Kid Galaxy (a.k.a Lontic) Scaphonyx (also called Hyperodapedon)
Scaphonyx was a Rhynchosaur living in Triassic era Brazil. Despite its tusks, it was harmless, being only 5 to 6 feet in length and having a diet of leaves and roots. It was hunted by early dinosaurs and archosaurs like Saurosuchus. It itself was also an archosaur, just different from Saurosuchus and dinosaurs,
It was around 1:8 scale, meaning I can show it with a 1:6 human.
Here it is with Safari ltd’s 1:6 Euparkeria. The Scaphonyx won’t eat the Euparkeria, the gaping mouth is just to scare it off. The Triassic era is chock full of oddities and weird creatures that evolved to fill in the massive niches left open by the Great Dying in the Permian. It’s interesting to see these oddities in figure form, because I can name few Triassic era figures that weren’t dinosaurs. Im guessing it’s because people would rather see a dinosaur precursor than see an oddity that was long gone by the end of the Triassic. Speaking of Triassic life, Plateosaurus would be a nice species to have. It’s just that the new discoveries have proven it was a comeplete biped, and I want to wait for the companies to adapt these discoveries into figures. The Collecta and Safari Carnegie Plateosaurus just have a too erect position for my taste.

Back to top Go down
pipsxlch

pipsxlch

PostSubject: Re: Gecko08’s Collection & Recent Acquisitions   Gecko08’s Collection & Recent Acquisitions - Page 21 EmptyFri Sep 10, 2021 3:09 am

Love that one! Here, Lassie.... the second photo gives it a peculiarly doglike look.
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Gecko08’s Collection & Recent Acquisitions   Gecko08’s Collection & Recent Acquisitions - Page 21 EmptyFri Sep 10, 2021 9:43 am

A very interesting and unusual model! cheers
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Gecko08’s Collection & Recent Acquisitions   Gecko08’s Collection & Recent Acquisitions - Page 21 EmptyFri Sep 10, 2021 10:06 am

What a very cool figure! Sometimes there are a few unexpected surprises in this hobby.

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Gecko08’s Collection & Recent Acquisitions   Gecko08’s Collection & Recent Acquisitions - Page 21 EmptyFri Sep 10, 2021 6:14 pm

Unusual figures

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Gecko08

Gecko08

PostSubject: Re: Gecko08’s Collection & Recent Acquisitions   Gecko08’s Collection & Recent Acquisitions - Page 21 EmptyFri Sep 10, 2021 11:43 pm

Today I made a Conodont out of clay.
Conodonts are an Ordovician era family of Chordates. They had eel like bodies and mouths fulls of teeth below their massive eyes. Very strange creatures. This species is Promissum pulchrum. Promissum lived in South Africa of the Late Ordovician. It was a predator and was around 16 inches long. This figure is 1:4 scale and is a good addition to my Ordovician collection (I’ll be getting more soon).
This also means I can showcase vertebrate evolution from the Cambrian to Devonian. Also I am not an evolutionary biologist. There are tens of species missing from this list and I simplified it greatly.
Haikouicthys: 535 mya, 1 in.
Pikaia gracilens: 509 mya, 2 in.
Promissum pulchrum: 443 mya, 16 in
Cephalaspis lyelli: 415 mya, 1 ft.
Acanthostega gunnari: 365 mya, 3 ft.

Back to top Go down
Gecko08

Gecko08

PostSubject: Re: Gecko08’s Collection & Recent Acquisitions   Gecko08’s Collection & Recent Acquisitions - Page 21 EmptyMon Sep 13, 2021 7:13 pm

I got another addition to my Ordovician collection. The Pluerocystites from Kaiyodo. It’s name means “rib bag” as a reference to its body sac. It lived 443 mya during the late Ordovician of Europe and North America. It was a Cystoid Echindoderm (meaning it was held to the seafooor by a stalk. The sac floated above the seafloor and was protected by armor plating made of calcium.
Like any other Kaiyodo creature, Pleurocystites can be separated into several pieces. It was around life size, being only 2 inches long. My Ordovician collection will soon be complete and I will make updated group shots.

Back to top Go down
Gecko08

Gecko08

PostSubject: Re: Gecko08’s Collection & Recent Acquisitions   Gecko08’s Collection & Recent Acquisitions - Page 21 EmptyMon Sep 13, 2021 7:18 pm

While the Pleurocystites came from the distant past, my next addition is from a not-so-distant past. The Bullyland Anchitherium. Anchitherium lived in North America of the Miocene epoch, around 23 to 5 mya. It was a small equine, only 60 centimeters at the shoulder. And yes, it was an equine. Anchitherium means “near beast”
Being only 60 cm at the shoulder, this figure is 1:12 scale, making it perfect with the Primeval humans. What would Nick Cutter say at the sight of such a beast?

Back to top Go down
Gecko08

Gecko08

PostSubject: Re: Gecko08’s Collection & Recent Acquisitions   Gecko08’s Collection & Recent Acquisitions - Page 21 EmptyWed Sep 15, 2021 11:47 pm

My most recent acquisitions are: the Bullyland Andrewsarchus. Andrewsarchus means “Roy Chapman andrew’s Ruler”.
First off: this figure is based off the older depiction of Andrewsarchus as a MESONYCHID (ancient group of hoofed carnivorous mammals, went extinct in the Oligocene). Now we believe it to be an ARTIODACTYL (like entelodonts). Collecta made an up to date reconstruction, which is why I think it would be interesting to compare what Andrewsarchus used to be known as, to what we know it was now.
It was around 1:30 scale and around 18 feet long.
I also got more Ediacaran figures from Ommarack Suchimonsri. (I probably botched that name spelling, so I just got it from Oumcraft)
Onega stepanovi
Hiemalora
Beltanelliformis

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Gecko08’s Collection & Recent Acquisitions   Gecko08’s Collection & Recent Acquisitions - Page 21 EmptyWed Sep 15, 2021 11:54 pm

It is so nice to revisit that Bullyland Andrewsarchus! Fantastic to tell in toy figure how the understanding of some prehistoric animals evolved with time.

Gecko08

PostSubject: Re: Gecko08’s Collection & Recent Acquisitions   Gecko08’s Collection & Recent Acquisitions - Page 21 EmptyThu Sep 16, 2021 10:04 pm

Today I got the Bullyland Chalicotherium. Unlike the Andrewsarchus, this figure is accurate to what we know of this species. Chalicotherium lived in the Oligocene epoch (25 mya) of Europe and Asia. It’s name means “pebble beast” as a reference to its very few, oddly shaped teeth.
The bottom of the figure explains the scale.
For the male’s height (around 8.5 feet), the figure is 1:30 scale,
But the female is around 6 feet tall, which means it is 1:24 scale if we use the female’s measurements.

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Gecko08’s Collection & Recent Acquisitions   Gecko08’s Collection & Recent Acquisitions - Page 21 EmptyFri Sep 17, 2021 9:34 am

I have this model and it is a good partner for the CollectA moropus I have too.

PostSubject: Re: Gecko08’s Collection & Recent Acquisitions   Gecko08’s Collection & Recent Acquisitions - Page 21 Empty

Back to top Go down

Gecko08’s Collection & Recent Acquisitions
Page 21 of 21Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 19, 20, 21