Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC

Go down 
+14
Roger
Pardofelis
Saarlooswolfhound
Kikimalou
Joliezac
Gecko08
Bonnie
widukind
George
landrover
SUSANNE
pipsxlch
rogerpgvg
Caracal
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
Gecko08

Gecko08

Country/State : United States

Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC Empty
PostSubject: Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC   Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC EmptyTue Sep 14, 2021 1:07 am

Here it is, my best collection thread yet.

I’m redoing my list and a few of my shelves so I’ve decided to run through my collection once again. I’ve also decided to move it to a new topic for the sake of neatness.

Last edited by Gecko08 on Sun Jul 09, 2023 5:25 pm; edited 105 times in total
Back to top Go down
Gecko08

Gecko08

PostSubject: Re: Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC   Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC EmptyTue Sep 14, 2021 3:05 am

Here we go, Ediacaran. The end of the Proterozoic Eon. This period marks the first time complex life has ever appeared, in the form of very simple organisms. Most of these figures came from Life: evolution of life on earth series (that’s what I mean by Oumcraft). They are very small, but it wasn’t a problem for me because they were around 1:2-1:10 anyway. I theorize that the number of stars represents an animal’s place in the ecosystem (three stars is predator, and two stars is prey, etc…)

Dickinsonia costata (Oumcraft)
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Length: 6 inches
Scale: 1:7

Kimberella quadrata (Oumcraft)
Length: 5 inches
Scale: 1:7

Mawsonites spriggi (Oumcraft)
Length: 5 inches
Scale: 1:4

Fractofusus misrai (Oumcraft)
Scale: 1:8

Obamus coronatus (Oumcraft)
Length: 1/2 inch
Scale: 2x Life Size

Spriggina floundersi (Oumcraft)
Length: 2 inches
Scale: 1:2

Vendia sokolovi (Custom)
Length: 1/2 inch
Scale: 3x Life Size
This custom was made without my knowledge lol! lol! lol!
Charniodiscus concentricus (Safari Ltd)
Length: 20 inches tall
Scale: 1:10
This is Safari ltd’s little blunder. They included a creature from the Ediacaran in with the Cambrian tube. Laughing Laughing While this is humorous, it is nice how they accident brought an obscure species from an obscure era into the spotlight. Too bad they discontinued the tube.

Back to top Go down
Gecko08

Gecko08

PostSubject: Re: Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC   Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC EmptyTue Sep 14, 2021 2:38 pm

I have been experiencing troubles with finding primeval figures on eBay, but I know that the penny-pinchers of eBay aren’t the only people in the world that own those toys, and they aren’t the only way to get them. As for the Cambrian Burgess Shale Fauna, I usually get the measurements off this site: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Cambrian~

Haikouicthys ercaicunensis (Custom)
Length: 1 in
Scale: 3x life size

Tricrepicephalus tripunctatus (safari Ltd)
Length: 3 inches (to my information. Research on this species is very hard to come by, making it very curious how Safari could have chosen this species over all the other trilobites that need figures, but I’m not complaining, it’s a great figure. It’s actually a shame the tube was discontinued.)
Scale: 1:1

Redlichia rex (Collecta)
Length: 1 foot
Scale: 1:3

Now for the Burgess Shale fauna. Despite its discontinuation, Safari’s Cambrian tube is still easily found, something I can’t say for the COG ayshea, ROM predator kit, and the Favorite co Burgess Shale set (insert whatever it’s actually called).

Aysheia pendunculata (Cog Ltd/Tedco)

Laggania cambria/Peytoia narthorsti (ROM Predator Kit)
Length: 1.5 feet
Scale: 1:4 (Everybody knows this is the gem of that set.)
Cambrian continued in reply.

Back to top Go down
Gecko08

Gecko08

PostSubject: Re: Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC   Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC EmptyTue Sep 14, 2021 2:53 pm

Cambrian continued~

Olenoides serratus (Favorite)
Length: 4 inches

Canadaspis perfecta (Favorite)

Anomalocaris canadensis (Favorite)
Amazing depiction of the terror of the Cambrian sea. The yellow version is exclusive to this set, meaning it can’t be found individually like the blue one on this site: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Length: 3 feet

Leanchoilia superlata (Paleocasts)
Etsy shop run by Patrick may of Chicago: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Unfortunately, he is taking a break at the current moment, but he will return eventually and I plan on seeing what he makes then.
Scale: 2x life size

Hallucigenia sparsa (Favorite)
Tiny Onychophorans like Hallucigenia and Aysheaia would have lived on sponges.
Length: 1 inch
Scale: 3x life size

Marrella splendens (favorite) head ornamentation…..
Scale: 4x life size

Pikaia gracilens (Favorite)
Scale: 2x life size

Opabinia regalis (Favorite)

Wiwaxia corrugata (Favorite & ROM)
Just like with the Opabinia, Pikaia, and Olenoides, the Favorite Wiwaxia has more detail than the ROM figure, but I discovered something interesting.
The ROM figure possesses a mouthpiece that the Favorite co figure doesn’t. The real animal did have a mouthpiece it used to eat algae on the seafloor, which is why I called it a draw.

Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC   Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC EmptyTue Sep 14, 2021 6:28 pm

What a strange sea life and what a fantastic collection you have! cheers cheers Applause
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC   Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC EmptyTue Sep 14, 2021 7:18 pm

Very unique and interesting collection. I notice that most of the animals are quite small. Were there very few larger species in Ediacaran and Cambrian, or is it just by chance that you collected smaller species? The Anomalocaris canadensis is relatively large, perhaps that's why you say it's the terror of the Cambrian. The Leanchoilia superlata is one of the many great models you have; are the tentacles made of metal?

Gecko08

PostSubject: Re: Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC   Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC EmptyTue Sep 14, 2021 10:52 pm

rogerpgvg wrote:
Very unique and interesting collection. I notice that most of the animals are quite small. Were there very few larger species in Ediacaran and Cambrian, or is it just by chance that you collected smaller species? The Anomalocaris canadensis is relatively large, perhaps that's why you say it's the terror of the Cambrian. The Leanchoilia superlata is one of the many great models you have; are the tentacles made of metal?
The tentacles on the Leanchoilia were made of flexible nylon rods cut very thin. In the Ediacaran, I would say the largest creature was the Dickinsonia rex, being around 3 feet (different species from D. Costata) and in the Cambrian it was Omnidens: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
One thing that your reply made me think about was that Even Omnidens wasn’t larger than 2 meters, making it strange how the orthocones of the Ordovician were so much bigger, but it might be because they realized that being bigger was the key to being able to eat whatever you wanted.
Also Ordovician is coming this Friday.

Back to top Go down
pipsxlch

pipsxlch

Country/State : US/Florida

PostSubject: Re: Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC   Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC EmptyWed Sep 15, 2021 3:22 am

Your collection is absolutely droolworthy. Thanks so much for sharing it!
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC   Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC EmptyWed Sep 15, 2021 8:11 am

Uhhh, creepy crawly affraid Laughing

But wonderful collection, great photos, and extremely interesting Applause

Thankyou very much for sharing cheers

rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC   Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC EmptyWed Sep 15, 2021 10:26 am

Thanks for your explanations! Very interesting to learn more about the animals in these periods. Looking forward to the Ordovician.

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC   Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC EmptyWed Sep 15, 2021 7:05 pm

Interesting

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
landrover

landrover

Country/State : colombia

PostSubject: Re: Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC   Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC EmptyWed Sep 15, 2021 7:47 pm

It is an interesting list. Thanks for the photos, too. cheers cheers

Gecko08

Gecko08

PostSubject: Re: Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC   Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC EmptyThu Sep 16, 2021 7:40 pm

I received new figures from Oumcraft that belong to the Ediacaran, but because of the shipping cost and the amount of time it takes for them to arrive, I’m pretty sure it’s my last order. I’m also not posting on my group shots topic anymore because I decided to put my group shots on here.

Onega stepanovi (Oumcraft)
Length: 1/4 inch
Scale: 4x life size

Hiemalora stellaris (Oumcraft)

Beltanelliformis brunsae (Oumcraft)
Scale: 1:5

Ediacaran Group Shots (I know that I originally used a blue background, but afterwards a realized that the blue background or a green screen if I had used one would have taken away from the actual figures themselves rather than adding on another layer of realism)

Ediacaran 1:5-1:10
Charniodiscus concentricus (Safari Ltd), Kimberella quadrata (Oumcraft), Fractofusus misrai (Oumcraft), Dickinsonia costata (Oumcraft), Beltanelliformis brunsae (Oumcraft)

Ediacaran 1:2-1:4

Mawsonites spriggi (Oumcraft), Spriggina floundersi (Oumcraft), Hiemalora stellaris (Oumcraft),

Ediacaran larger than life size

Obamus coronatus (Oumcraft), Vendia sokolovi (Custom), Onega stepanovi (Oumcraft)

Last edited by Gecko08 on Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Gecko08

Gecko08

PostSubject: Re: Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC   Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC EmptyFri Sep 17, 2021 9:24 pm

I might as well follow up with the Cambrian before I move on to the Ordovician.

Cambrian 1:2-1:4

Laggania cambria (ROM), Sidneyia inexpectans (Safari Ltd), Ottoia prolifica (Safari Ltd), Redlichia rex (Collecta),

1:10
Anomalocaris canadensis (Favorite co), I didn’t have any other Cambrian that wasn’t Anomalocaris at this scale, so I had to improvise. I’m sure cutter didn’t mind.

Cambrian Larger Than Life Size (both images)
Hallucigenia sparsa (Favorite co), Pikaia gracilens (Favorite co), Marrella splendens (Favorite co), Naraoia compacta (Safari Ltd)
Leanchoilia superlata (Paleocasts), Haikouicthys ercaicunensis (Custom),  
Cambrian 1:1 (both images)
[url=https://servimg.com/view/20242300/860][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Wiwaxia corrugata (Rom), Aysheaia pendunculata (Cog Ltd), Opabinia regalis (Favorite co), Tricrepicephalus tripunctatus (Safari Ltd)

Wiwaxia corrugata (Favorite co), Olenoides serratus (Favorite co), Canadensis perfecta (Favorite co), Sanctacaris uncata (Safari Ltd)

Last edited by Gecko08 on Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Gecko08

Gecko08

PostSubject: Re: Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC   Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC EmptyFri Sep 17, 2021 9:24 pm

I’ve made a spreadsheet that lists every species in my collection, which I think will make the process of making this topic a lot easier.

Last edited by Gecko08 on Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC   Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC EmptyFri Sep 17, 2021 10:04 pm

Wonderfully weird animals. I particularly like the  Laggania cambria and Aysheaia pendunculata.

Gecko08

PostSubject: Re: Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC   Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC EmptySat Sep 18, 2021 3:32 am

My Cambrian era collection was a lot better off than most of my other pre-dinosaur eras (ex. Silurian, Ordovician, Carboniferous, Ediacaran). But I was able to find a few Ordovician era creatures that I am proud to present (two are on their way)

Promissum pulchrum (Custom)
Length: 16 inches
This will be the last of my customs that I will be presenting here.

Pleurocystites squamous (Kaiyodo)
Scale 1:1

Asaphus cornutus (Paleocasts)

Neoasaphus kowalewskii (Paleocasts)
Trilobites from Patrick May

Cameroceras trentonese (Colorata Knockoff)
Length: 30 feet
Scale: 1:50
Interestingly, this is the largest creature on earth until the Devonian (when they were just barely beaten out by the predatory fish). I guess when it was this massive size, it could have eaten whatever it wanted and also have been maneuverable enough to move at high speeds. This figure is obviously a ripoff of Colorata’s Cameroceras (found on Amazon as an Orthoceras [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] or EBay also listed as Orthoceras
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
It appears like multiple companies have accessed this figure and claim it as their own. I won’t list them because there are two many to count.

Back to top Go down
George

George

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC   Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC EmptySat Sep 18, 2021 9:18 am

Now you're into one of my favourite time periods, I collect real fossil trilobites so it's lovely to see some model versions Very Happy

Gecko08

Gecko08

PostSubject: Re: Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC   Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC EmptyWed Sep 22, 2021 8:36 pm

I’m still holding out hope that I’ll be able to get the Safari Ancient Fossils tube (for the Raymondites and Mixopterus), but until then……

Orthoceras (Collecta)
Length: about 5 inches

Ordovician 1:1-1:4
As unfortunate as this looks, it may be the closest thing to a group shot we get of this era. Still I have found some nice diversity, with the Pleurocystites (actually the ancestor of the sea star), Conodont, pair of Asaphids, and an Orthocone. The safari Raymondites is about 2 times life size, and then there’s the 1:50 Cameroceras (nowhere near life size, but maybe it’s for the best).

Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC   Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC EmptyWed Sep 22, 2021 9:11 pm

Very interesting again! I'd have thought that there would be quite a few models of trilobites, but perhaps they are less common than the fossils themselves.

Gecko08

PostSubject: Re: Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC   Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC EmptyWed Sep 22, 2021 11:08 pm

Unfortunately so. Maybe Paleocasts will produce more creatures from the Ordovician, Silurian, and Carboniferous when he comes back. And here is my entire Silurian life. If it weren’t for Patrick May, I would barely have any Silurian. Most of my Silurian collection is here (with the exception of the Kaiyodo Hemicyclaspis, Safari tube Mixopterus, Safari tube Cave Scorpion (sub for Brontoscorpio like Quollmate did) and Kaiyodo Pterygotus. I am seeking for the Primeval Silurian Scorpion, but it isn’t modeled after any fossil species, so it has a low chance to end up on this topic). Eurypterids and kin diversify, but the Orthocones aren’t really gone. Agathans diversity as well.

Acutiramus macrophthalmus (Off-Brand Amazon)
This figure has a similar situation to my Cameroceras. Modeled off the Colorata Acutiramus and sold under different company names.
Length: 6 feet
Scale: 1:12
Paleocasts replicas are dominating this era.
Paralejurus sp. (Paleocasts)
Length: 3 inches

Maurotarion christyi (Paleocasts)

Harpes perradiatus (Paleocasts)

Dalmanites limulurus (Paleocasts)
Length: 2.5 inches

Eurypterus remipes (Paleocasts)
Length: 8 inches
The figure just said “sea scorpion” so I asked Patrick May using Etsy messenger what species it was molded off of, and he said it was Eurypterus remipes. The largest Eurypterus species get to 4 feet, but remipes was only 8 inches.

Silurian 1:1-1:2
This is a very simplified Silurian ecosystem. The eurypterids preyed on the trilobites.

I had to snap a 1:12 shot with a primeval action figure as well. I did this because a “Silurian Scorpion” appears in Primeval slightly bigger than Acutiramus, but it doesn’t resemble any real fossil. This is if they had used a more accurate scorpion.

Back to top Go down
Gecko08

Gecko08

PostSubject: Re: Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC   Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC EmptySun Sep 26, 2021 1:28 am

Jumping forward about 200 million years, my Triassic collection. The Triassic is the first era of the Mesozoic and also the most neglected era in the Mesozoic, with companies favoring the Jurassic and Cretaceous over any other era. Since this era takes place right after the massive Permian extinction, a lot of weird species evolved to fill open niches in the ecosystem.
Early Triassic

Proterosuchus fergusi (Safari Ltd)
Length: 7 feet
Scale: 1:20

Lystrosaurus murrayi (Kaiyodo)
Scale: 1:18

Middle Triassic

Atopodentatus unicus (PNSO)
Length: 10 feet
Scale: 1:30

Euparkeria capensis (Safari Ltd)
Length: 60 cm
Scale: 1:6

Glyphoderma kangi (PNSO)
Length: 34 inches

Late Triassic

Coelophysis bauri (Safari Ltd)
Length: 10 feet
Scale: 1:12

Desmatosuchus spurensis (Safari Ltd)
Length: 14 feet
Scale: 1:45

Herrerasaurus ichigualastensis (Schliech)
Length: 20 feet
The coloration could be better, but otherwise this represents Herrerasaurus just fine.

Himalayasaurus tibetensis (PNSO)
Length: 49 feet (same as Shonisaurus)
Scale: 1:150
The detail and accuracy of this figure is amazing, BUT IT’S SO SMALL!

Hyperodapedon Gordoni (Lontic)
It looks formidable with its tusks, but it was small and probably harmless.

Keichousaurus hui (PNSO)

Machaeroprosopus validus (Safari Ltd)
Length: 15 feet
Scale: 1:45

Mussaurus patagonicus (Mattel)
Length: 20 feet
This is a nice figure, the only problem being that Mattel’s sculptors had no idea this species was a prosauropod. I tried to position it in a more accurate posture.

Odontochelys semitestacea (PNSO)
Length: 15 inches

Placerias hesternus (Nayab)
Length: 11 feet

Postosuchus kirkpatrickii (Toyway)
Length: 15 feet
The safari ltd Postosuchus is probably a better figure, but until someone makes a bipedal Postosuchus, it would be spending money that would be better spent on other figures.

Shonisaurus popularis (Schliech)
Length: 49 feet
Scale: 1:40
It’s a really old figure made back when people thought that Shastasaurids had dorsal fins, but I like it very much nonetheless. It’s charming.

Triassic 1:12
Triassic 1:2-1:6
Triassic 1:18
Triassic 1:30
Triassic 1:40

Back to top Go down
landrover

landrover

Country/State : colombia

PostSubject: Re: Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC   Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC EmptySun Sep 26, 2021 3:11 am

Wow Gecko08, this is really marvellous.

Many nice animals and interesting description.

cheers cheers cheers

Caracal

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC   Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC EmptySun Sep 26, 2021 10:21 am

Very rich collection for this less known epoch and thank you for your useful comparison pictures! cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Gecko08

Gecko08

PostSubject: Re: Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC   Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC EmptySun Sep 26, 2021 6:15 pm

Our next stop: The Devonian. Oftentimes called the Age of Fishes, mainly because fish developed jaws and very quickly rose to apex predators. They overthrew the eurypterids with their advanced eyesight massive size. Sharks and placoderms appear, Plants overtake the land, and Tetrapods move to the beach. Eventful times. The Prehistoric Sharks Tube from Safari makes up about a third of my Devonian collection. The other third being Paleocasts, and the final third being miscellaneous.

Cephalaspis lyelli (Off-Brand Amazon)
This is a jawless fish that would have fed on bacteria on the rocks. As for the figure itself, it’s a rip-off of the Colorata Cephalaspis, similar to my Acutiramus and Cameroceras.

Eldredgeia venustus (Paleocasts)
If you want a quick tip, if you ever need measurements of an extinct species who’s Wikipedia article is a stub, just look for a fossil of one on eBay or a fossil marketing site. They will list the size.

Phacops rana (Paleocasts)

Hollardops mesocristata (Paleocasts)
Length: 3 inches

Acanthostega gunnari (Kaiyodo)
The only land pioneer in my collection. Godspeed Acanthostega. Back in the oceans, the other fish are living a simpler life….

Mcnamaraspis kaprios (Yowie)
Length: 1.5 feet
This was a much smaller placoderm than Dunkleosteus (speaking of which, I plan on getting the Favorite co dunkleosteus before I put it on this topic).

Cladoselache clarki (Safari Ltd)
The Prehistoric Sharks tube is a must have for fish enthusiasts.
Length: 6 feet

Stethacanthus altonensis (Safari Ltd)
This figure represents a male, because only males have the anvil shaped fin.
Length: 2 feet

Xenacanthus decheni (Safari Ltd)
Length: 4 feet

Devonian 1:1-1:2 Cephalaspis and some trilobites
Devonian 1:6-1:7
Devonian 1:10
Devonian 1:20

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC   Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC Empty

Back to top Go down

Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC
Page 1 of 12Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next