Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC

Go down 
+14
Roger
Pardofelis
Saarlooswolfhound
Kikimalou
Joliezac
Gecko08
Bonnie
widukind
George
landrover
SUSANNE
pipsxlch
rogerpgvg
Caracal
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

Country/State : UK

Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC - Page 11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC   Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC - Page 11 EmptyMon Dec 19, 2022 3:37 pm

Good to see you back!

Gecko08 wrote:
I've been considerably naughtier this year so we will see how Christmas turns out.
Laughing  Laughing  Surprised  Shocked

It's very interesting to see the Basilosaurus. I didn't know that the ancestors of whales were much more elongated. It has a strange name, -saurus suggests to me that it is a dinosaur.

Gecko08 wrote:
Some people I know have tried to tell me that I am too old for model dinosaurs or animals, but I'm the type of person who does whatever he wants anyway. Dinosaurs and figures will always be a part of my life, I don't care how old I am.

I don't understand how you can be too old to collect dinosaurs. These people can probably learn a lot from what you have learnt about dinosaurs by collecting them. They probably have no idea of how serious your interest in dinosaurs is. Be naughty and collect more Very Happy.
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC   Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC - Page 11 EmptyMon Dec 19, 2022 4:17 pm

rogerpgvg wrote:
Good to see you back!
Gecko08 wrote:
I've been considerably naughtier this year so we will see how Christmas turns out.

It's very interesting to see the Basilosaurus. I didn't know that the ancestors of whales were much more elongated. It has a strange name, -saurus suggests to me that it is a dinosaur.

Gecko08 wrote:
Some people I know have tried to tell me that I am too old for model dinosaurs or animals, but I'm the type of person who does whatever he wants anyway. Dinosaurs and figures will always be a part of my life, I don't care how old I am.

I don't understand how you can be too old to collect dinosaurs. These people can probably learn a lot from what you have learnt about dinosaurs by collecting them. They probably have no idea of how serious your interest in dinosaurs is. Be naughty and collect more Very Happy.

When the Basilosaurus was discovered in 1834, it was originally thought to be of a giant reptile. After examined tooth Richard Owen thought that the specimen was an herbivorous mammal, similar to sirenians. Now we know it was the biggest known Cetacean of the Paleogene.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], life is a very serious thing so please never trust people who tell you that you are too old to do something, these people obviously haven't understood anything about their own life. Wink
Back to top Go down
Gecko08

Gecko08

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC   Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC - Page 11 EmptyMon Dec 19, 2022 4:33 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
rogerpgvg wrote:
Good to see you back!
Gecko08 wrote:

Gecko08 wrote:

When the Basilosaurus was discovered in 1834, it was originally thought to be of a giant reptile. After examined tooth Richard Owen thought that the specimen was an herbivorous mammal, similar to sirenians. Now we know it was the biggest known Cetacean of the Paleogene.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], life is a very serious thing so please never trust people who tell you that you are too old to do something, these people obviously haven't understood anything about their own life. Wink

Yes, I never let people tell me I am too old to do good things I enjoy. And Basilosaurus’ fossils were mistaken to be reptilian in nature at first. Sir Richard Owen recognized the teeth as belonging to a mammal and he tried to get it renamed to Zeuglodon cetoides but it was never changed.

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC   Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC - Page 11 EmptyMon Dec 19, 2022 5:56 pm

Thanks Haydn for your very interesting demonstration how these different scales can work together.
The only difference is that your smaller scaled is a much larger creature and the size proportions are not so easy to notice. It might not result so nicely when using two creatures with comparable sizes as a Megacerops and a Palaeoloxodon. Though, it is known some models can cover a certain range of scales and maybe 1:35 is plausible to the Safari figure.

Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC   Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC - Page 11 EmptyMon Dec 19, 2022 8:05 pm

Congrats Haydn! The fossil is very neat especially, I have one also. 

As an aside, I wouldn't pay any attention to people who try to tell you that collecting is childish. We have collectors here from your age all the way up to 70 and 80 year olds! Its a hobby that helps pass the time, brings joy, and if nothing else, is obviously very educational etc. If I had a dime for anytime someone made similar comments to me... I wouldn't have such a long wishlist of models to find. Wink

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Caracal

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC   Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC - Page 11 EmptyTue Dec 20, 2022 5:06 pm

Gecko if you are too old to collect dinosaurs I suppose me too! Laughing Laughing

Big congrats for this very good basilosaurus! cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Gecko08

Gecko08

PostSubject: Re: Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC   Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC - Page 11 EmptyThu Dec 22, 2022 12:39 pm

It’s probably because some people would see my quitting figures as “growing up”. But I could argue that it’s a good thing to like the natural world. I’ve decided to do a December collection inventory. This inventory will be done in taxonomic groups, not on era or scale. As an extra note, I will include the scale of the models so you know which size comparisons are accurate. We are starting with the Arthropods since they are one of the oldest lineages of animals.

Panarthropoda
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Anomalocaris (Flormoon, 1:5), Peytoia (ROM, 1:4), Opabinia (Favorite Co, 1:1), Hallicigenia (Favorite Co, 3x Life Size), Aysheaia (Cog Ltd, 1:1)

I previously had this group labeled as Lobopodia, but some people argue that Lobopodia doesn't exist as a group, and some argue that Lobopodia exists but it only includes the worm-like animals (Hallucigenia and Aysheaia). If Lobopodia exists, it is most definitely paraphyletic, meaning it includes all living descendants (same as saying humans are Lobe-Finned Fish because you can't evolve out of an order). In the case of Lobopodia, this would mean it includes all modern Arthropods. This is confusing enough so I just labeled it as Panarthropoda even though it is paraphyletic as well, just that everyone can agree on it. PHEW! Taxonomy is confusing enough, next time I will just use scale and era and stick to making family trees.

Another interesting thing about this photo is that Anomalocaris was shrunken down more than any animal here, yet it is still big enough to terrorize most of them.

Crustacea (Canadaspis is a mistake)
Canadaspis (Favorite Co, 1:1), Pulalius (Safari Ltd, 1:1), Tasmanian Giant Crayfish (Yowie, 1:12), Giant Isopod (Safari Ltd, 1:10)

I have some crustacea on my modern animal wishlist, but I'd rather complete my prehistoric wishlist first since there is very little left on it. The Safari Pulalius (right of the crayfish) is a neat figure, but it has a very poor coloration. It is meant to be a fossil but they could have at least painted the rock a lighter color than the fossil animal.

Misc. Arthropods
Marella (Favorite Co, 4x Life Size), Leancholia (Paleocasts, 3x Life Size)

The idea for this shot is the arthropods that have no living relatives and are the only models of their kind. To be honest all this taxonomy trouble is going to clear up once I start on the vertebrates, where the lines are a lot clearer and there are more figures to go off.

Trilobites (next 2 photos)
1st Row - Cambrian Trilobites (left to right): Olenoides (Favorite Co, 1:1), Redlichia (Collecta, 1:3), Naraoia (Safari Ltd, 2x Life Size), Tricrepicephalus (Safari Ltd, 1:1)
2nd Row - Ordovician Trilobites (left to right): Neoasaphus (Paleocasts, 1:1), Raymondites (Safari Ltd, 2x Life Size), Asaphus (Paleocasts, 1:1)

I have an abundance of good trilobite models, so I am photographing them on age. The second photo is for Silurian-Devonian Trilobites since a lot of them lived through both eras.

1st Row (left to right): Dalmanites (Paleocasts, 1:1), Harpes (Paleocasts, 1:1), Phacops (Paleocasts, 1:2), Eldredgeia (Paleocasts, 1:1)
2nd Row (left to right): Maurotarion (Paleocasts, 1:1), Paralejurus (Paleocasts, 1:1), Hollardops (Paleocasts, 1:1)

Chelicerates (next 3 photos)
Sanctacaris (Safari Ltd, 1:1), Eurypterus (Paleocasts, 1:2), Acutiramus (Flormoon, 1:12), Sidneyia (Safari Ltd, 1:2), Adelophthalmus (Paleocasts, 1:1), Mixopterus (Safari Ltd, 1:9)
(left to right) Euproops (Paleocasts, 1:2), Paleolimulus (Paleocasts, 1:2)
Bullet Ant (Brave Wilderness, 1:1), Hine's Emerald (Safari Ltd, 1:2), Protosolpuga (Character, 1:6), Peacock Tarantula (Yowie, 1:4)
Chelicerates include modern insects and arachnids plus the eurypterids and some leftover extinct species.

Writing this post was a doozy but I'm certain these taxonomy inventories will get easier from here.

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC   Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC - Page 11 EmptyThu Dec 22, 2022 12:45 pm

cheers cheers cheers

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC   Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC - Page 11 EmptyThu Dec 22, 2022 4:45 pm

Very interesting presentation with lots of useful informations. A true Museum of Natural History. Very Happy

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC   Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC - Page 11 EmptyThu Dec 22, 2022 5:07 pm

indeed! cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Gecko08

Gecko08

PostSubject: Re: Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC   Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC - Page 11 EmptyFri Dec 23, 2022 12:28 pm

For this inventory, I will be finishing off the invertebrates.

Cnidaria
Spotted Jellyfish (K&M, 1:6), Deep Sea Jellyfish (Safari Ltd, 2x Life Size), Mauve Stinger (Safari Ltd, 1:1), Hula Skirt Siphonophore (K&M, 1:3)

I added some corals to the photo since they also count as Cnidarians.

Porifera
Vauxia (Safari Ltd, 1:1)

The only sponge in my collection is the Vauxia from Safari's discontinued Cambrian toob.

Echinodermata
Brown Sea Cucumber (Yowie, 1:9), Blue Linckia (Safari Ltd, 1:5), Sunflower Sea Star (Yowie, 1:18), Pleurocytites (Kaiyodo, 2x Life Size)

Echinoderms are the closest group of invertebrates related to vertebrates. We are closer to the sea cucumber than we are to the octopus, a very interesting perspective.

Mollusca
Tullimonstrum (Paleocasts, 1:2), Wiwaxia (Favorite Co, 1:1), Passaloteuthis (Collecta, 1:1), Glaphurochiton (Paleocasts, 1:1)

We still don't know what the Tully Monster is, yet it is more likely that Tullimonstrum is an invertebrate. It has been compared to mollusks in some interpretations, and that is what I'm going with for the time being.

Orthoceras (Collecta, 1:2), Cameroceras (Flormoon, 1:50), Rayonnoceras (Kaiyodo, 1:30)

This shot is for the non-ammonite shelled mollusks in my collection.

Ammonites
Pleydellia (Flormoon, 1:1), Peltoceratoides (Safari Ltd, 1:1), Diplomoceras (Collecta, 1:35), Hoplites (Safari Ltd, 1:2), Pravitoceras (Collecta, 1:1), Baculites (Collecta, 1:25), Parapuzosia (Collecta, 1:40), Pachydiscus (Kaiyodo, 1:20), Australiceras (Collecta, 1:6)

I wish companies made aquatic or flying animal figures with bases. Something simple like the Pachydiscus by Kaiyodo. At least it's in a natural position and not awkwardly laying on its side on my shelf.

Tiger Cowry Snail (Safari Ltd, 1:4), Lyre Cranch Squid (Safari Ltd, 1:2), Bullock's Hypselodoris (Safari Ltd, 1:1)

This last picture is for the modern mollusks in my collection. There's a trend I'm starting to notice with these photos. The prehistoric animals in the families have good representation but the modern side is usually smaller.

Last edited by Gecko08 on Sat Dec 24, 2022 8:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC   Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC - Page 11 EmptyFri Dec 23, 2022 3:16 pm

If we ever find life in another planet, I think it will look somewhat like this. We never know if it will happen and I think each of us have a different expectation about it. I'm not with the group of those who believe in advanced societies similar to us and also not with the group who only believes we'll find microscopic life. I enjoy most the idea of creatures like those in a "oceanic" planet or so. Laughing I think Christmas time is cutting the effect of my medication. Wink santa

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC   Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC - Page 11 EmptyFri Dec 23, 2022 4:52 pm

So beautiful cnidaria and ammonites! cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
landrover

landrover

Country/State : colombia

PostSubject: Re: Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC   Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC - Page 11 EmptyFri Dec 23, 2022 9:25 pm

I like the photo of the ammonites cheers cheers

Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC   Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC - Page 11 EmptySat Dec 24, 2022 2:15 am

Impressive Very Happy

How did you calculate your Pleurocytites scale ? For me it is more 2/1 than 1/2 scratch
Back to top Go down
Gecko08

Gecko08

PostSubject: Re: Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC   Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC - Page 11 EmptySat Dec 24, 2022 8:52 am

I must’ve mistyped it

Back to top Go down
Gecko08

Gecko08

PostSubject: Re: Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC   Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC - Page 11 EmptySat Dec 24, 2022 6:39 pm

The last invertebrates I missed the first go.

Pripulida
Ottoia (Safari Ltd, 1:2)

Cestoda
Flatworm (Character, 1:20)

Now onto one of my favorite orders, the Fish.

Mcnamaraspis (Yowie, 1:3), Gemuendina (Gosnell, 1:4), Bothriolepis (Kaiyodo, 1:4), Dinichthys (Diramix, 1:40), Dunkleosteus (Favorite Co, 1:40), Pikaia (Favorite Co, 2x Life Size)

This batch is for the primitive fish (jawed and jawless) and we got some oddballs in here. Japanese companies like Favorite and Kaiyodo make some of the best models of the weirdest species, but they are increasingly hard to get outside of Japan.

Chondrichthyes
Xenacanthus (Safari Ltd, 1:10), Frilled Shark (Safari Ltd, 1:20), Bandringa (Paleocasts, 1:12), Orthacanthus (Safari Ltd, 1:30), Hybodus (Safari Ltd, 1:18)

This section is for the Cartilaginous fish. This batch is the basal sharks.

Holocephali
Cladoselache (Safari Ltd, 1:20), Dark Ghost-shark (Discovery Science, 1:9), Helicoprion (PNSO, 1:30), Edestus (Safari Ltd, 1:65), Sarcoprion (Safari Ltd, 1:60), Stethacanthus (Safari Ltd, 1:7)

Some of these may look shark-like and they are cartilaginous, but they are actually closer to today's ratfish and chimera.

Lamniformes
Otodus Megalodon (Favorite Co, 1:45), Basking Shark (Collecta, 1:35), Megamouth Shark (Safari Ltd, 1:30), Scapanorhynchus (Safari Ltd, 1:30) Goblin Shark [big guy in the back right] (Discovery Science, 1:12), Great White Shark (Safari Ltd, 1:35), Cretoxyrhina (PNSO, 1:30)

I purposely tried to obscure the Goblin Shark in this photo because all the other sharks are close in scale (range of 1:30-1:45) except the Goblin Shark, looking even bigger than Megalodon.

Charcharhiniformes
Bonnethead (Safari Ltd, 1:6), Scalloped Hammerhead Shark (Papo, 1:12), Tiger Shark (Safari Ltd, 1:25), Speartooth Shark (Discovery Science, 1:20), Bull Shark (Safari Ltd, 1:18)

1:18 or 1:20 is a common scale for sharks that arent exceptionally large like the Great White or Whale Shark. Charcharhiniformes is the largest order of sharks. The bonnethead is one of them, the only shark is known to have a partial herbivorous diet.

Orectolobiformes
Blind Shark (Discovery Science, 1:12), Nurse Shark (Safari Ltd, 1:20), Pyjama Shark (Discovery Science, 1:10)

This order contains the whale shark, the largest modern fish. And...I don't have a whale shark. We will certainly have to fix that next year.

Squaliformes
Deep Sea Lantern Shark (Discovery Science, 1:3), Angular Roughshark (Discovery Science, 1:10), Birdbeak Dogfish (Discovery Science, 1:12)

Pristiophoriformes
Japanese Sawshark (K&M, 1:12)

Heterodontiformes
Zebra Bullhead Shark (Discovery Science, 1:15), Horn Shark (K&M, 1:15)

Batoidea
Onchopristis (Unknown, 1:45), Cownose Ray (Safari Ltd, 1:12), Kuhl's Maskray (Safari Ltd, 1:9)

Actinopterygii
Xiphactinus (Collecta, 1:30), Leedsichthys (Sansyo88 Custom, 1:50)

I still have Collecta's mini Leedsichthys but for an insanely large fish, one should hope for a large figure. This is the only one in existence that I bought from a seller who makes custom models in Japan.

Diplomystus (Safari Ltd, 1:12)

Pelican Eel (Safari Ltd, 1:6)

Chinook Salmon (Safari Ltd, 1:9)

Spectacled Parrotfish (Safari Ltd, 1:10)

Fangtooth (Kaiyodo, 1:6)

Lake Sturgeon (Safari Ltd, 1:25)

Soleatus Barreleye (AAA, 1:1)

Razorback Sucker (Safari Ltd, 1:6)

Perciformes
Yellow Perch (Safari Ltd, 1:3), Flame Angelfish (Safari Ltd, 1:2), Threadfin Butterflyfish (Battat, 1:4)

Stomiiformes
Black Dragonfish (Safari Ltd, 1:2), Pacific Viperfish (AAA, 1:2), Spiny Hatchetfish (AAA, 1:1)

Tetraodontiformes
Pufferfish (Oenux, 1:1 [species uncertain]), Ocean Sunfish (Safari Ltd, 1:35), Clown Triggerfish

The Ocean Sunfish is the largest bony fish alive today (if we're talking all fish then it goes to the cartilaginous whale shark and if we're including prehistoric, it would go to Leedsichthys).

Lophiiformes
Humpback Anglerfish (Safari Ltd, 1:2), Prince Axel's Wonder Fish (AAA, 1:2), Starry Handfish (AAA, 1:3)

Sarcopterygii
West Indian Coelacanth (Safari Ltd, 1:18), Crassigyrinus (Play Visions, 1:25), Acanthostega (Kaiyodo, 1:6)

Tomorrow's post will be my Christmas haul, but after that, the usual posts will resume starting with amphibians.

Back to top Go down
Gecko08

Gecko08

PostSubject: Re: Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC   Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC - Page 11 EmptySun Dec 25, 2022 9:09 pm

Merry Christmas  santa  santa  everyone, I hope you all had a great time this year. Since my dinosaur haul wasn't as big this year, I will show some of my non-figure presents this year.

First up is the Celestron Nexstar 6SE telescope. It looks really small because this is a picture taken from a story higher than the telescope on the ground. The big deal with this telescope is that it is computerized, as in once it is aligned with the stars of the night sky, it can then go to any sky object. No searching is required once the telescope is aligned. I use the telescope to take pictures with my phone (I'm not really into using fancy cameras, all my figure shots are done with my Ipad and iPhone).

Next up is a blurry photo of the drone I just got. Once I learn how to fly it I am probably going to use this drone a lot.

Lastly is a set of Doctor Who DVDs.

Zuul (Safari Ltd)
Late Cretaceous Montana
Length: 20 feet
Scale: 1:40

Zuul was named in 2017 so it is a recent find. Zuul was called the Destroyer of Shins due to its tail club and heavily armored body. The scientists noticed that Zuul had some physical characteristics to set it apart from other ankylosaurs. The osteoderms on the tail have a hollow profile and rear-facing points. The armor tiles on the head are overlapping. These qualities convinced them that Zuul was a separate genus and not another species of Euoplocephalus. The model itself is amazing, no complaints about the coloring as I think a lot of dinosaurs were vibrant and strange. If that wasn't good enough, Zuul is known for excellent fossils, and I lately refuse to buy any models of a dinosaur that's extremely fragmentary. Accuracy is important to me so I need to know if a model is accurate.  

An exhibit at the ROM showing Zuul and Gorgosaurus.

Me attempting to recreate the encounter with the Papo Gorgosaurus

I looked up "Judith River Formation" where Zuul is from and found a host of creatures that shared its environment.
Deinosuchus (Safari Ltd), Daspletosaurus (Safari Ltd), Gorgosaurus (Papo)
They were all close in scale to 1:40 so I threw in a puny human for scale. If you want monsters, look no further than natural history.

Hyaenodon (Safari Ltd)
Middle Paleogene Asia
Length: 10 feet
Scale: 1:18

Safari Ltd specified that their Hyaenodon was Hyaenodon gigas. Hyaenodon existed from the Mid-Paleogene to the Early Neogene and inhabited 3 continents (North America, Europe, and Asia), so the fact that we are given a species narrows it down within reason. H. gigas was the largest species in the Hyaenodon genus. It reached 10 feet and 833 pounds whereas most of the other species stayed under 100 pounds. Hyaenodon was a vicious predator, and this species was especially formidable given its larger size and weight. Despite being named after hyaenas, the Hyaenodon wasn't directly related to modern hyaenas. Hyaenodon shared an ancestor with the order Carnivora, yet it wasn't in the order. So it would be the same clade but in a different order.

In terms of figures, this is easily the best Hyaenodon on the market. If you view it head-on, you can slightly see a resemblance to modern hyaenas, even though they aren't directly related.

Now for the inventory portion of today's post.

Amphibia

Temnospondyli
Koolasuchus (Custom by Sansyo88, 1:18), Platyhystrix (Play Visions, 1:12)

Prehistoric "Amphibians" are so rarely made into models, when I saw the extremely rare Platy and Crassigyrinus on eBay I had to pounce on them. We are not sure whether Temnospondyls are true amphibians or if they are a different classification.

Lissamphibia
Mudpuppy (Safari Ltd, 1:4), Chinhai Spiny Newt (Yowie, 1:2), Mutable Rain Frog (Yowie, 2x Life Size), Granular Poison Frog (Brave Wilderness, 2x Life Size), Eopelobates (Safari Ltd, 1:2)

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC   Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC - Page 11 EmptyMon Dec 26, 2022 4:15 am

cheers cheers cheers

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC   Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC - Page 11 EmptyMon Dec 26, 2022 7:48 am

Your collection shows clearly how educational and interesting is our hobby of collecting animal figures.
How wonderful a telescope that points to the perfect place without needing your interference. During my initial youth age, I got as a present a little telescope, probably one of the nicest gifts I received during that time of my life. Though, it was so hard to point to someting specific that I used it mostly to watch stork nests. Laughing

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC   Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC - Page 11 EmptyMon Dec 26, 2022 5:58 pm

Impressive fishes display! cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Gecko08

Gecko08

PostSubject: Re: Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC   Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC - Page 11 EmptyWed Dec 28, 2022 5:48 pm

Today we are viewing reptiles in my inventory.

Lepidosaurs
Crested Gecko (Safari Ltd, 1:1), Amazon Tree Boa (Safari Ltd, 1:1), Lake Erie Water Snake (Safari Ltd, 1:12)

The Amazon Tree Boa is such a behemoth and it takes up so much shelf space, this is why I decided to stop buying 1:1 models of animals larger in size than a few inches. The Water Snake looks comically tiny next to the two life-size figures. I can definitely do better for lizards and snakes in my collection so we'll see what happens next year.

Mosasauridae
Mosasaurus (Collecta, 1:50), Tylosaurus (Safari Ltd, 1:55), Ectenosaurus (PNSO, 1:50)

1:40 is my favorite scale and I don't have any 1:40 Mosasaurs but it all seemed to work out. There is a debate over whether Mosasaurs are closer to Monitor Lizards or snakes and both sides have evidence. A theoretical clade called Toxicofera includes snakes, mosasaurs, Monitor Lizards, Gila monsters, and iguanas. It was proposed because it consists of all venomous reptiles and their relatives after discovering that most "nonvenomous" snakes actually have mild venom. It argues that venom is a trait that was inherited based on ancestry and they may very well be right but they have little evidence yet. Venom in lizards and snakes used to be considered a rarity and was believed to have evolved separately (in venomous snakes and venomous lizards like Komodo Dragons and Gila monsters). It would make a lot more sense if they were related since most other lizards aren't toxic and most snakes have mild toxins in their saliva.

Parareptilia
Scutosaurus (Safari Ltd, 1:30)

There are some other parieasaur models I could track down (Starlux Bradysaurus), but I am extremely lucky to have the rare Safari Scutosaurus. It is a prize for my collection and I got it when it was readily available on Amazon after I saw it on Primeval.

Pantestidines
Odontochelys (PNSO, 1:4), Glyphoderma (PNSO, 1:12), Henodus (Safari Ltd, 1:18), Common Snapping Turtle (Brave Wilderness, 1:10), Meiolania (Kaiyodo, 1:30), Archelon (Favorite Co, 1:30)

Henodus is supposed to be with Sauropterygia and not Pantestudines, but I am let off with the technicality that Sauropterygia is according to some, a group inside of Pantestudines meaning it doesn't technically matter where I put Henodus as long as I don't put Plesiosaurus with the turtles.

Sauropterygia
Elasmosaurus (Collecta, 1:45), Hydrotherosaurus (Collecta, 1:40), Keichousaurus (PNSO, 1:2), Dolichorhynchops (Safari Ltd, 1:40), Liopleurodon (Safari Ltd, 1:40), Plesiosaurus (Favorite Co, 1:25)

Archosauromorphs
Shringasaurus (Safari Ltd, 1:20), Tanystropheus (Safari Ltd, 1:20), Hyperodapedon (Lontic, 1:6), Euparkeria (Safari Ltd, 1:6) Champsosaurus (Safari Ltd, 1:40), Proterosuchus (Safari Ltd, 1:35)

I like the weird species of extinct animals, and lucky for me this group consists almost entirely of weird species. Almost all of these animals died out in the Triassic, except for Champsosaurus which existed until the Paleogene.

Crocodylia
Deinosuchus (Safari Ltd, 1:40), Pristichampsus (Safari Ltd, 1:35), Gharial (Papo, 1:25)

Pseudosuchia
Dakosaurus (PNSO, 1:25), Kaprosuchus (Safari Ltd, 1:30), Metriorhynchus (Safari Ltd, 1:30), Montealtosuchus (Safari Ltd, 1:18), Plesiosuchus (Safari Ltd, 1:35), Prestosuchus (Safari Ltd, 1:30), Postosuchus (Safari Ltd, 1:40), Machaeroprosopus (Safari Ltd, 1:45)

Ichthyosaurs
Shonisaurus (Schleich, 1:40), Eurhinosaurus (PNSO, 1:30), Himalayasaurus (PNSO, 1:45), Ophthalmosaurus (Recur, 1:20), Ichthyosaurus (Safari Ltd, 1:40)

Anurognathidae
Anurognthaus (Character, 1:10)

Rhamphorhynchidae
Rhamphorhynchus (Safari Ltd, 1:6)

Pterodactyloidea
Anhanguera (Schleich, 1:30), Tapejara (Safari Ltd, 1:15), Nyctosaurus (PNSO, 1:10), Guidraco (PNSO, 1:20), Hatzegopteryx (Collecta, 1:40), Hamipterus (Flormoon, 1:6), Dsungaripterus (Mattel, 1:15), Nemicolopterus (PNSO, 1:1), Pteranodon (Safari Ltd, 1:20)

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC   Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC - Page 11 EmptyThu Dec 29, 2022 8:52 am

Fantastic figures! I like especially the lifesized ones but it is really a problem if we don't have much space left. Maybe the best is to get a single representative of each family/subfamily or so, large snakes are often huge.

Gecko08

PostSubject: Re: Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC   Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC - Page 11 EmptyFri Jan 06, 2023 11:24 am

This time my theropod dinosaurs.

Primitive Dinosauria
Monolophosaurus (Safari Ltd, 1:30), Coelophysis (Safari Ltd, 1:12), Cryolophosaurus (Battat, 1:40), Dilophosaurus (Safari Ltd, 1:40), Chilesaurus (Papo, 1:20)

Chilesaurus is so weird, it shows traits of all three main kinds of dinosaurs (Theropods, Sauropods, and Ornithischia)

Megalosauroidea
Afrovenator (Collecta, 1:40), Suchomimus (Safari Ltd, 1:40), Spinosaurus (Schleich, 1:45), Spinosaurus (PNSO, 1:50), Baryonyx (Safari Ltd, 1:30), Megalosaurus (Collecta, 1:40)

Megalosaurus was the first dinosaur discovered. I was originally going to get the Toyway British Museum Megalosaurus but I changed my decision to the more modernized Collecta Megalosaurus when it was announced. Both the PNSO and Schleich Spinosaurus are the most accurate Spino models around, which is why I chose to have and display them both.

Ceratosauria
Abelisaurus (PNSO, 1:80), Deltadromeus (Safari Ltd, 1:40), Indosuchus (PNSO, 1:80), Ceratosaurus (Safari Ltd, 1:30), Masiakasaurus (Safari Ltd, 1:9)

Allosauroidea
Sinraptor (Vitae, 1:30), Mapusaurus (Collecta, 1:50), Concavenator (Favorite Co, 1:25), Giganotosaurus (Eofauna, 1:35), Siats (Mattel, 1:30), Neovenator (Collecta, 1:40), Yangchuanosaurus (PNSO, 1:30), Allosaurus (Safari Ltd, 1:30), Acrocanthosaurus (Battat, 1:40), Chiliantaisaurus (Vitae, 1:60)

I was crushed when I saw that the Chiliantaisaurus' body wasn't in the photo, just it's head. The only other dinosaur I would like to have from this group is an accurate Carcharodontosaurus.

Comgsognathidae
Sinosauropteryx (PNSO, 1:12)

Tyrannosauroidea
Dilong (Safari Ltd, 1:20), Xiongguanlong (Collecta, 1:40), Bistahieversor (Collecta, 1:50), Yutyrannus (Safari Ltd, 1:40), Proceratosaurus (PNSO, 1:30), Guanlong (Safari Ltd, 1:20)

Tyrannosauridae
Alioramus (Mattel, 1:40), Gorgosaurus (Papo, 1:40), Daspletosaurus (Safari Ltd, 1:30), Tyrannosaurus (Battat, 1:40), Nanuqsaurus (Golden Link, 1:35), Tyrannosaurus (Safari Ltd, 1:30), Qianzhousaurus (Safari Ltd, 1:25), Tarbosaurus (PNSO, 1:30), Lythronax (Collecta, 1:40)

Ornithomimosauria
Deinocheirus (Collecta, 1:60)

Therizinosauria
Beipioasaurus (Safari Ltd, 1:25), Nanshiungosaurus (Battat, 1:30), Therizinosaurus (Collecta, 1:55)

Oviraptorosauria
Gigantoraptor (Collecta, 1:60), Anzu (Safari Ltd, 1:25), Caudipteryx (Safari Ltd, 1:10), Citipati (Safari Ltd, 1:18), Oviraptor (Safari Ltd, 1:10)

Troodontidae
Mei long (PNSO, 1:6), Stenonychosaurus (BoTM, 1:15)

Dromaeosauridae
Velociraptor (Safari Ltd, 1:10), Buitreraptor (BoTM, 1:10), Acheroraptor (BoTM, 1:6), Dromaeosaurus (BoTM, 1:6), Deinonychus (Safari Ltd, 1:18)

Microraptoria
Microraptor (Safari Ltd, 1:5), Hesperonychus (Vivid Toy Ltd, 1:12), Sinornithosaurus (Safari Ltd, 1:18)

Paraves
Hesperornis (Character Options, 1:12), Confuciusornis (PNSO, 1:6), Yi qi (PNSO, 1:6), Anchiornis (PNSO, 1:4), Archaeopteryx (PNSO, 1:6)

Aves
Bald Eagle (Safari Ltd, 1:12), Peregrine Falcon (Safari Ltd, 1:12), Phorosrachos (Unknown, 1:12), Canada Goose (Safari Ltd, 1:20), Eurasian Eagle Owl (Safari Ltd, 1:10), Great Blue Heron (Safari Ltd, 1:30), Herring Gull (Safari Ltd, 1:12), Horned Guan (Yowie, 1:15), Gastornis (Safari Ltd, 1:25), Titanis (Lanard Toys, 1:18)

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC   Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC - Page 11 EmptyFri Jan 06, 2023 12:34 pm

I enjoy the fact you provide the scale, especially for extant birds.
Chilesaurus doesn't look weird for an untrained eye as mine. Though, for those used to the features of each dino group, it may look weird. Maybe they should call it Chimaerosaurus instead of Chilesaurus.

PostSubject: Re: Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC   Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC - Page 11 Empty

Back to top Go down

Gecko08’s Collection - MOVED TO A NEW TOPIC
Page 11 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next