Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Burger's Customs

Go down 
+23
Taos
Pardofelis
halichoeres
strawberry crocodile
sunny
spacelab
Jill
George
goatherder
lucky luke
pipsxlch
Kikimalou
A-J
Ana
Roger
costicuba
Caracal
Advicot
widukind
Saarlooswolfhound
Bonnie
SUSANNE
Burgerenby
27 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

Burger's Customs - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Burger's Customs   Burger's Customs - Page 2 EmptyMarch 16th 2021, 06:27

Burgerenby wrote:
Something from early January, a repainted Papo Megaloceros.
Normally I take photos on a wooden plank that is part of my desk, the Spinosaurus was just too large for that, thus the photos on my bed.
The colours for this giant deer are based on cave paintings.

It is very interresting, which cave painting ? It doesn't looks like the Lascaux one.
Back to top Go down
Burgerenby

Burgerenby

Country/State : Deutschland

PostSubject: Re: Burger's Customs   Burger's Customs - Page 2 EmptyMarch 16th 2021, 07:18

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Thank you, the Egyptian oryx isn't that old however, it's not even prehistoric, after all it was around during ancient Egypt and zebras and such have been around for much longer.
Bush elephants, Nile crocodiles and cheetahs can all be seen in ancient Egyptian art, cheetahs were even pets at that time.
Zebras were living in this region long before the pyramids, as the desert was spreading more and more large mammals vanished from the region.
The "modern" wildlife we see today is in the end what is left over of the Pleistocene.
This oryx is thus more comparable to thylacines and passenger pigeons.
The only animal that wouldn't have met it in real life is of course the dinosaur.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] I have answered that question when I posted the Megarachne.
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Burger's Customs   Burger's Customs - Page 2 EmptyMarch 16th 2021, 08:36

Burgerenby wrote:
 [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] I have answered that question when I posted the Megarachne.

Embarassed  My mistake Embarassed  So my question is: is there some publication which explain why the Chauvet and Cougnac paintings are more valid than the Lascaux one ? It really interrest me.

By the way, I'm sorry i didn't commented your posts. I like your custom and repaints and I also like very much your idea to bring back to life some newly extinct species. Thank you for that Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Burgerenby

Burgerenby

PostSubject: Re: Burger's Customs   Burger's Customs - Page 2 EmptyMarch 16th 2021, 14:31

I don't know where this question is coming from, there are two separate sources that indicate such a colouration as opposed to Lascaux being one single instance where all that is depicted is a silhouette that doesn't indicate anything besides the animal's shape.
Regarding publications there are "The evolution of the giant deer, Megaloceros giganteus" by Lister 1994 and "The Nature of Paleolithic Art" by Guthrie 2006.
Back to top Go down
Burgerenby

Burgerenby

PostSubject: Re: Burger's Customs   Burger's Customs - Page 2 EmptyMarch 16th 2021, 16:09

I said I'd post some of my dinosaurs to balance things out but I still have so many mammals left, here are the ones from South America.

Last year I resculpted the nose of the Safari Ltd. Macrauchenia by cutting the trunk off just so that the skull is still intact and creating a new nose from scratch, afterwards repainted with a colouration I have used before in a painting I made back in April 2019.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Below you can see my old painting.

Next up is the Geoworld Thylacosmilus.
Was planning to do this since last summer but it took until February to get this figure.
The colours are inspired by other marsupials such as water opossums and quolls, I wanted to get as far away from thylacine colours as possible as most reconstructions just copy and paste thylacine stripes onto Thylacosmilus.

I also repainted the Schleich Glyptodon as I plan to repaint the entire Prehistoric Series by Schleich, I am however not too satisfied with the outcome, I planned to make it look flashier but it is fine for this time, I might paint a second one someday instead of giving this one a re-repaint.

And the last one for now, the Bullyland Megatherium, making it a terrifyingly hairless avocado eater.
I do believe that there were still a lot of giant ground sloths with shaggy coats but I imagine them to work like proboscids, some having more and some having less dense fur depending on their surrounding climate.

The Bullyland figure is especially great as it’s just so huge, among the largest toys of this genus and decent looking overall, which is why I also still have one in default condition as the original isn’t bad either.

Back to top Go down
Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: Burger's Customs   Burger's Customs - Page 2 EmptyMarch 16th 2021, 16:25

Amazing customs again! I like this snout variation on the Macrauchenia, very interesting! But my favorite got to be the Thylacosmilus, just brilliant! I love you

And, oh my a naked Megatherium  affraid That's a groundbreakin idea! I like it Very Happy

Burgerenby wrote:

Thank you, I hope to reach your level of skill one day, your repaints are so impressive and inspiring, the colour transition on your horses is so soft and I am especially in love with your cats.

Thanks so much! I think your skill level is already very high and you have your unique style and some great ideas!
For the soft color transitions, you may like to try shading with dry pigments and pastels. It is a bit tricky technique but helps create very smooth transitions.

Last edited by Ana on March 16th 2021, 16:31; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
Caracal

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: Burger's Customs   Burger's Customs - Page 2 EmptyMarch 16th 2021, 16:29

Very Happy I am very fond of extinct mammals and I realy enjoy watching on your very beautiful and interesting repaints! drunken

With its new appearance, the macrochenia looks a little a camelid! You saved these poor Schleich Smilodon and Geoworld Thylacosmilus with your skill  cheers  cheers

.. but what did you do to this poor Bully Megatherium?.. and Why?.. affraid

Last edited by Caracal on March 17th 2021, 09:43; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Burger's Customs   Burger's Customs - Page 2 EmptyMarch 16th 2021, 17:02

cheers cheers cheers

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Burgerenby

Burgerenby

PostSubject: Re: Burger's Customs   Burger's Customs - Page 2 EmptyMarch 16th 2021, 17:51

On one side, I always wished for a hairless Megatherium figure, I feel like that would be right up CollectA's alley at least, but since that likely won't happen for a long time I took it into my own hands.
Midway through I came to the horrible realization that it would also require nipples and other such anatomical details that would otherwise be hidden under fur, so I researched how that works and looks on sloths and I am so glad it's not the primate-like configuration we got on elephants but instead they got them located in their armpits.
I don't know if I'd do something like this again, I got my fingers cut from carving all the fur off, but it's fun to have some variation on the shelf and for now I am satisfied with one horror sloth.
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: Burger's Customs   Burger's Customs - Page 2 EmptyMarch 16th 2021, 18:33

OK I see.. but save your skilful fingers! :)
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Burger's Customs   Burger's Customs - Page 2 EmptyMarch 16th 2021, 18:54

I realy love most of your projects, especially the Egyptian ones. All of them have something special, from subtle changes to radical giant sloths. I love many of the pictures and the pair of sloths is genial. cheers

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Burger's Customs   Burger's Customs - Page 2 EmptyMarch 16th 2021, 21:14

Yes, each one of these are just beautiful, you have so much talent and creativity!! cheers sunny Applause
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
costicuba

costicuba

Country/State : Bulgaria

PostSubject: Re: Burger's Customs   Burger's Customs - Page 2 EmptyMarch 17th 2021, 01:32

Wonderful job on every each of them ! Applause
The Macrauchenia looks really nice and interesting like that.
And the Bullyland Megatherium, showes especially, that you have very good skills also in sculpting !
Well done !

pipsxlch

Country/State : US/Florida

PostSubject: Re: Burger's Customs   Burger's Customs - Page 2 EmptyMarch 17th 2021, 02:57

You are very talented! I absolutely love the sea scorpion- and its resin(?) cousin.
Back to top Go down
Burgerenby

Burgerenby

PostSubject: Re: Burger's Customs   Burger's Customs - Page 2 EmptyMarch 17th 2021, 15:14

This time I got some fish, both of these are a bit older from November 2020.

First a Helicoprion, it was created from a Schleich great white shark by cutting its head, claspers and some of its fins off, the remaining fins were reshaped and a new head was sculpted from scratch.

Next I got this Dunkleosteus, another Schleich custom, I reshaped its fins, added lips to the upper jaw and Meckel's cartilage to the lower jaw.

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Burger's Customs   Burger's Customs - Page 2 EmptyMarch 17th 2021, 17:59

These customs are again really great and surely a good idea with the shark. However, I find it always better when it is with figures we find in lots in a poor shape but if it was the case, it wouldn't be easy to find a Dunkleosteus.

Burgerenby

PostSubject: Re: Burger's Customs   Burger's Customs - Page 2 EmptyMarch 17th 2021, 18:52

The shark was new because at the time the grocery store chain Edeka was offering Schleich figures for a low price so I got the shark twice and repainted the one which had worse paint application.
The Dunkleosteus was second hand off eBay for only 6 €, I don't want to pay the full price for a sculpt I don't like, I'm not swimming in money.
I also don't see a problem with repainting something that is still in production, I'd be more hesitant if it is something that is retired and rare unless there are still ones out there in better condition in other people's collections.
Back to top Go down
Burgerenby

Burgerenby

PostSubject: Re: Burger's Customs   Burger's Customs - Page 2 EmptyMarch 17th 2021, 19:10

I should probably also add a bit of regional context.
In Germany eBay, Shpock, eBay-kleinanzeigen and flea markets are flooded with Schleich, it is still relatively easy to come by Replica Saurus models even and when I go on eBay-kleinanzeigen right now I can see ten listings for the Schleich Dunkleosteus between 6 € and 10 €, note that it costs 15 € when bought new.
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: Burger's Customs   Burger's Customs - Page 2 EmptyMarch 17th 2021, 21:05

Very interesting customs! cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Burger's Customs   Burger's Customs - Page 2 EmptyMarch 17th 2021, 21:31

Burgerenby wrote:
I should probably also add a bit of regional context.
In Germany eBay, Shpock, eBay-kleinanzeigen and flea markets are flooded with Schleich, it is still relatively easy to come by Replica Saurus models even and when I go on eBay-kleinanzeigen right now I can see ten listings for the Schleich Dunkleosteus between 6 € and 10 €, note that it costs 15 € when bought new.

Yes, you are right. It is never a problem that one decides to customize a figure even if it is new or unavailable. It is always a personal decision. It is however even more fantastic when someone can give a new life to a figure that is in poor shape. I wished I could do it myself.

Burgerenby

PostSubject: Re: Burger's Customs   Burger's Customs - Page 2 EmptyMarch 17th 2021, 22:55

I repaint figures that are in poor shape most of the time so I don't know why you seem so upset about this over one single figure that I didn't even buy new, it had a previous owner and was used for its primary purpose as a toy.
I should be allowed to do what I want to with the figures I buy.
Sometimes I want to customize a specific figure however and can't find it used so then in those rare cases I buy a figure new to customize it such as the Safari Macrauchenia, Germany is Schleich territory, Safari isn't as widespread here and it is harder to come by used Safari figures that are still in production, I was lucky with that only three times so far.
I mostly repaint models that have had a lot of paint wear so I don't know why you make it seem like I only buy new ones to repaint them.
I feel like you are accusing me of things and it makes me uncomfortable.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Burger's Customs   Burger's Customs - Page 2 EmptyMarch 17th 2021, 23:56

Burgerenby wrote:
I repaint figures that are in poor shape most of the time so I don't know why you seem so upset about this over one single figure that I didn't even buy new, it had a previous owner and was used for its primary purpose as a toy.
Sometimes I want to customize a specific figure however and can't find it used so then in those rare cases I buy a figure new to customize it such as the Safari Macrauchenia, Germany is Schleich territory, Safari isn't as widespread here and it is harder to come by used Safari figures that are still in production, I was lucky with that only three times so far.
I mostly repaint models that have had a lot of paint wear so I don't know why you make it seem like I only buy new ones to repaint them.

Everyone is being very kind with you and appreciating your work. The only person who mentioned something about using new figures for customs it was myself and obviously without any kind of accusatory purpose. Actually I am so surprised with your reaction that I checked all posts to be sure I was understanding. I want you to feel confortable on forum and if you read our posts, you will find that there is a friendly atmosphere in this community. Please keep enjoying. :)

costicuba

Country/State : Bulgaria

PostSubject: Re: Burger's Customs   Burger's Customs - Page 2 EmptyMarch 18th 2021, 01:28

I am absolutelly shure, Roger didn`t want to make you feel like you feld, with his comment in any way.
He just shared what many collectors things in general :) I also repaint a lot and of course we can do what we want with our models , also with new ones, even with more rare ones ... As long this makes us happy :)
And I am absolutelly shure that Roger is very honest, when he said that he really like your works ,
and I really like them too :)
Your shark has really cool colours and the Dunkleosteus looks amazing like that. Well done ! :)
Roger is really gentle and wonderful man, you will see this in the future for sure Very Happy

Burgerenby

PostSubject: Re: Burger's Customs   Burger's Customs - Page 2 EmptyMarch 18th 2021, 13:49

I am not used to kindness and I don't know anyone here yet, forgive my defensive reaction.
Back to top Go down
Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: Burger's Customs   Burger's Customs - Page 2 EmptyMarch 18th 2021, 14:09

Awesome customs again! I'm a big fan! I really enjoy your topics and I hope you keep posting and customizing. You are very creative and it's great to see how you transform ordinary toys into artworks. And you have very fresh ideas for the prehistoric creatures' depictions. sunny

Burgerenby wrote:

From my point of view as a fellow painter and customizer, I think my only criteria when choosing a model to repaint, or/and customize is if the sculpt is good and inspiring, and also if I can afford it. The rarity of the item plays a very little role for me, especially if I own the model already. If I can offer a piece of advice it would be: always choose for the best possible sculpt, if you are to invest your precious time and skills to repaint it. In my view, by re-painting or re-sculpting a model you always add to it its value, you create something unique! And most importantly you celebrate the hobby the way you like it. This is the creative side of our hobby and it is my favorite! Very Happy

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Burger's Customs   Burger's Customs - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Burger's Customs
Page 2 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next