Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!

Go down 
+19
rogerpgvg
SUSANNE
Roger
Jill
pipsxlch
Stripedhyena
costicuba
Kikimalou
Joliezac
Caracal
RtasVadumee
Pardofelis
bmathison1972
Saarlooswolfhound
landrover
George
Bonnie
widukind
spacelab
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
Bonnie

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 6 EmptySun Sep 05, 2021 9:36 pm

Beautiful Schleich models, it's so interesting to see both versions! Very Happy I actually really like the newer version, the large size is interesting because I have found some of their models seem to be getting smaller and smaller but for the same price- I think it's called 'shrinkflation'- but this is a big beauty! cheers I love the style of the Starlux model too, it's such a star! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
George

George

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 6 EmptySun Sep 05, 2021 10:26 pm

We're getting towards the end of the alphabet, I'm going to miss my daily anteater Laughing

Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 6 EmptyMon Sep 06, 2021 11:21 am

VEB PLAHO models derive from Marolin that in turn were miniatures of the Lineol figures. As this anteater is not inspired, as far as we know, in any known Lineol model. I assume they're Veb Plaho and probably there was no Marolin original anteater. However, Marolin was revived in 1992 with Plaho figures with slightly different paintings.
I know these two models are different but I don't know which exact versions they are.
It is a pity our Plaho expert, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], is not that active these days, I am sure he could give us some light about the subject.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Figure is 7,2 cm long, head + body is around 6 cm. It is important to notice the tail is curled. This figure has a strange design decision once both back legs are attached as a continuous piece of plastic. It results ugly because the walking pose turns it too noticiable and I can't find a good explanation for it once legs are thick enough to warrant the stability of the model. Maybe it also explains why Marolin has not used the Lineol IV generation model once it would result in a very delicate piece in such a small size.
It is again the Hausser 54mm plastic model I'm using for size comparison. It seems to fit better with most of the anteaters of its generation. Britains model is much smaller than all others.
I think again 1:24 scale works better for this model but I surely would use it if 1:32 scale was my collecting subject.

Yes, the daily updates will be finished soon, I enjoy having your support and faithfulness during this exotic walk. cheers

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 6 EmptyMon Sep 06, 2021 11:29 am

This is a lovely little vintage figure, it seems that lots of vintage brands made anteaters! cheers
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 6 EmptyMon Sep 06, 2021 3:17 pm

>>> As this anteater is not inspired, as far as we know, in any known Lineol model. I assume they're Veb Plaho and probably there was no Marolin original anteater. However, Marolin was revived in 1992 with Plaho figures with slightly different paintings.

As I understand it, the transition from Marolin to VEB Plaho was gradual and the descendants of the founder of Marolin, Richard Mahr, remained involved in the company during the VEB Plaho period. The Marolin/VEB Plaho figures were adapted from the Lineol moulds between 1967 and 1973 during the time that Marolin lost its independence from the DDR state (the name Marolin remained until 1975). I am guessing that the anteater was also created during this period. Whether it was originally sold as Marolin or VEB Plaho is perhaps not so critical, because the transition wasn't abrupt.

After the collapse of the DDR, the Mahr family took back control again in 1992 and the company changed its name back to Marolin. This change seems to have been much more abrupt and the post-1990 animal figures often look different from the pre-1990 figures. I am not so good at detecting the differences though, and going by TAW, there doesn't seem to be a big difference between the pre- and post-1992 anteaters.

>>> This figure has a strange design decision once both back legs are attached as a continuous piece of plastic. It results ugly because the walking pose turns it too noticiable and I can't find a good explanation for it once legs are thick enough to warrant the stability of the model.cheers

I have this model, and it is funny that it never struck me that the rear legs were connected. In my opinion, it is a beautiful, artistic model, even though its curled tail surely isn't realistic (perhaps an artistic zookeeper?) I read that Marolin/VEB Plaho used moulds that consist of just two parts (left and right side), rather than several pieces as most other companies did and do for more complex models. This means that complex shapes were hard to make and they sometimes had to compromise. I assume the connected legs are one such compromise. Another thing you often see is that the angles of the ears are slightly strange; this is another compromise. But remarkably, most Marolin/VEB Plaho models have four separate legs despite having only two-part moulds. It's quite interesting to check the models (follow the mould lines in the plastic) to see how they did this.
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 6 EmptyMon Sep 06, 2021 5:25 pm

Another masterpiece from Starlux Very Happy

I adore the slightly stylished look which is characteristic for many of the Starlux models, and this anteater is absolutely gorgeous I love you

Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 6 EmptyMon Sep 06, 2021 7:00 pm

Thanks Bonnie, anteaters were really common among vintage brands. Much more then what my topic shows and I don't have any other vintage anteater to post for now. I wished they were much more common among major companies, waiting for a super anteater from CollectA. bounce

rogerpgvg wrote:
>>> As this anteater is not inspired, as far as we know, in any known Lineol model. I assume they're Veb Plaho and probably there was no Marolin original anteater. However, Marolin was revived in 1992 with Plaho figures with slightly different paintings.

As I understand it, the transition from Marolin to VEB Plaho was gradual and the descendants of the founder of Marolin, Richard Mahr, remained involved in the company during the VEB Plaho period. The Marolin/VEB Plaho figures were adapted from the Lineol moulds between 1967 and 1973 during the time that Marolin lost its independence from the DDR state (the name Marolin remained until 1975). I am guessing that the anteater was also created during this period. Whether it was originally sold as Marolin or VEB Plaho is perhaps not so critical, because the transition wasn't abrupt.

After the collapse of the DDR, the Mahr family took back control again in 1992 and the company changed its name back to Marolin. This change seems to have been much more abrupt and the post-1990 animal figures often look different from the pre-1990 figures. I am not so good at detecting the differences though, and going by TAW, there doesn't seem to be a big difference between the pre- and post-1992 anteaters.

>>> This figure has a strange design decision once both back legs are attached as a continuous piece of plastic. It results ugly because the walking pose turns it too noticiable and I can't find a good explanation for it once legs are thick enough to warrant the stability of the model.cheers

I have this model, and it is funny that it never struck me that the rear legs were connected. In my opinion, it is a beautiful, artistic model, even though its curled tail surely isn't realistic (perhaps an artistic zookeeper?) I read that Marolin/VEB Plaho used moulds that consist of just two parts (left and right side), rather than several pieces as most other companies did and do for more complex models. This means that complex shapes were hard to make and they sometimes had to compromise. I assume the connected legs are one such compromise. Another thing you often see is that the angles of the ears are slightly strange; this is another compromise. But remarkably, most Marolin/VEB Plaho models have four separate legs despite having only two-part moulds. It's quite interesting to check the models (follow the mould lines in the plastic) to see how they did this.

Your imput is always precious. I confess, when I received it a long time ago, I disliked the idea of legs being connected. Currently, my comment is just a remark, it is something that does not bother me anymore.
I tried to follow the mold lines, it seems really to be split in two halves but it is not easy to see. They also look the same in both models but they have a little difference in weight, one is 10 g while the other is 11 g.

SUSANNE wrote:
Another masterpiece from Starlux Very Happy

I adore the slightly stylished look which is characteristic for many of the Starlux models, and this anteater is absolutely gorgeous I love you

I agree Susanne and guess who gave me this one in 2013? Yes, the friend with a pair of Siamese cats in her avatar. cat cat
I love, love, love the Starlux model, I don't care if it is not realistic, there's an obvious artistic expression on it and not from lack of ability to do it better. It screams STARLUX from the tip of the nose to the tip of the tail. Laughing

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 6 EmptyMon Sep 06, 2021 7:08 pm

Lots of childhood memories with that figure

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 6 EmptyMon Sep 06, 2021 8:36 pm

I really like this one too! I need some vintage anteaters...

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 6 EmptyMon Sep 06, 2021 9:26 pm

Great topic Rogério sunny I've just discovered it and I enjoy watching your collection Very Happy You already knew we share the same bias for anteaters, pangolins... Wink
I'm not a completist but I like eclectic open minded collections like yours, I enjoy those historical and geographical journeys, so many countries, so many periods. drunken

As far as the search for the grandfather of all, the first anteater ever to be produced, I can't help but add my two cents... Lineol produced it's first anteater in 1920 and your Pfeiffer was first produced in 1914 as far as I know. farao

For the tamadua, are you sure the K&M is older than the PV ? scratch
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 6 EmptyMon Sep 06, 2021 9:52 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
Great topic Rogério sunny I've just discovered it and I enjoy watching your collection Very Happy You already knew we share the same bias for anteaters, pangolins... Wink
I'm not a completist but I like eclectic open minded collections like yours, I enjoy those historical and geographical journeys, so many countries, so many periods. drunken

As far as the search for the grandfather of all, the first anteater ever to be produced, I can't help but add my two cents... Lineol produced it's first anteater in 1920 and your Pfeiffer was first produced in 1914 as far as I know. farao

For the tamadua, are you sure the K&M is older than the PV ? scratch

Kiki, it is such a huge joy to see you in this topic. Very Happy
Yes, I know your bias for anteaters and pangolins, The [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] is remarkable.
I wanted to make this topic for a long time, I was waiting for my collection to be back with me. I should have prepared each presentation with more precision but I will probably list them all on first post when it is finiished and update the data.
I had no idea the Pfeiffer was so old! However, I shouldn't have messed the informatiion about the K&M figure. The 1998 catalogue is not a Wild Republic but a Play Visions instead. Thus, we don't know when K&M minis were available for the first time. Even if it is on 2004 catalogue, there's no evidence that it is older than the Play Visions model. So, let's assume the Playv Visions tamandua is the older rendition as far as we know. cheers

Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 6 EmptyTue Sep 07, 2021 10:12 am

YOWIE USA brought several new series of Yowie animals. A giant anteater was included in their first series for the United States in 2015. So, the last branded of this daily adventure is a modern toy sized like a vintage one.
Yowie released before a giant anteater for their Australian Adventure series 6 but I don't have it.
These figures were sold as surprises inside of capsule for chocolate eggs. Thus they're small and often they have what I call egg design. Laughing

This is an attractive little chubby figure. It is 6 cm long, 4 cm head + body. It puts this model closer to a 1:32 scale than a 1:24 scale.
Here in comparison with the Hausser 54mm model.

The design concept, in my opinion, is very similar to the Schleich Classics model.
I mean, both are chubby with big heads and wide tails. Their size is also similar.

Tomorrow a cute ceramic figure to close our daily updates.

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 6 EmptyTue Sep 07, 2021 10:34 am

This is a lovely little Yowie figure, I never knew that they made an anteater! Very Happy I hope you can find the other anteater by this brand too! bounce
Back to top Go down
spacelab

spacelab

Country/State : Greece

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 6 EmptyTue Sep 07, 2021 4:44 pm

I think this is mostly inspired from the old Schleich model, especially the tail and the muzzle, and then shrunken to fit in a chocolate egg.
Yowie animals are cute & attractive anyway.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 6 EmptyTue Sep 07, 2021 6:09 pm

Thanks Bonnie and Spacelab. Very Happy
I agree, I believe the sculptor of the Yowies figure has the old Schleich model in his collection. They bear some similarities and concept and the biggest difference is the size to fit in an egg as [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] mentioned.
Here both together.

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 6 EmptyTue Sep 07, 2021 9:51 pm

Size-wise, probably the best 1:32 scale anteater. Looks pretty good too.

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 6 EmptyWed Sep 08, 2021 5:22 am

It looks you are right

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 6 EmptyWed Sep 08, 2021 10:58 am

It is with this lovely cute ceramic model that our Walk with Anteaters has its end.
Not a definitive end because I will recycle this topic for my collection of anteaters and I will update anytime a new figure joins the parade.
I can't find any information about this ceramic model, it was a gift from Carolynn [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].
It is closely the same size as the AAA anteater baby, thus, it is smaller than those figures from major brands.
I want to thank everyone for following this topic, it will be open for discussion and if any additional picture is needed, I will be glad of providing.
I will also try to show pictures about how the design of anteater toys evolved allong the years as Roger suggested.

Ceramic anteater with AAA anteater baby

Last edited by Roger on Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 6 EmptyWed Sep 08, 2021 5:19 pm

This is a wonderful end to this wonderful topic with such a lovely ceramic anteater! cheers I have loved walking with all your models of this lovely species, it has been so interesting to see the diversity and I am looking forward to the future posts that will appear on this topic! sunny bounce
Back to top Go down
spacelab

spacelab

Country/State : Greece

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 6 EmptyWed Sep 08, 2021 6:23 pm

Cute ending with a rather lost and sad little anteater. Someone to hug him please!
Back to top Go down
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 6 EmptyWed Sep 08, 2021 9:50 pm

I am not into ceramics, but this anteater is rather charming. This has been a very interesting topic. As other people have already said, it's a great idea to focus on one species, as it allows you to collect a wide variety of different brands. I hope you'll be able to find many more anteaters.

costicuba

Country/State : Bulgaria

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 6 EmptyThu Sep 09, 2021 4:14 am

This is really wonderful topic topic Roger ! cheers Applause
Thank you very much for creating it.
I really enjoy watching all these great models : old and new, big and small, plastic and other materials..
with great information for every one of them, and with great photos, showing also very useful comparisons between the models.
I really like your collection of anteaters, it showes that you really like these animals. They are favorite of mine too :)
Of course there are more nice models, waiting to be added on your collection in the future,
but there is one, which I especially would like to suggest to you.
A model, which is my favorite presentation of Giant anteater.
Kaiyodo Wild Rush - Giant anteater . THIS ONE
It is much much smaller than major brands models, but at the same time , it is done much better
in my opinion. The proportions are just perfect, the details, even for such a small model are amazing.
The coloration - wonderful.
You know which is the best arctic fox model , a model which you have now :) Again the Kaiyodo Wild Rush one.... and for me the same is for the Giant anteater Wink

Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 6 EmptySun Sep 12, 2021 1:45 pm

As it was suggested earlier in this topic. Here is an overview about how the way giant anteaters were designed since 1914.
My collection is not large enough to give an accurate overview but here it goes.

Composition models, these cover a long period previous to the regular use of plastic in toy figures.
I own these three, Pfeiffer (1914), Elastolin (1920 and Lineol (1940).

With the introduction of the plastic,, around 1960 or earlier, figures turned smaller and most were made at 54mm scale.
Those are all from 1960's decade, Starlux, Hausser, Britains and Veb Plaho.

During 1970's and 1980's manufacturing of toys in Hong Kong and similar places, turned into a fever and it allowed that children with poorer condition was able of playing with this kind of toys.
They often were copies of the big brand models but much more affordable.
Interestingly, giant anteaters seem to be an exception because the known Hong Kong models do not seem to be inspired in previous models, at least those I own.
I added the Schleich Classics into this lot, it is a 1979 figure, it looks almost like a premium figure but in rubber material.

Around 1990 the industry suffered a kind of revolution and many small brands appeared, often affordable with the manufacturing facilities in China. North American market is particularly remarkable in this regard during this era.
These figures do not really represent it and I actually don't know their release dates but I suspect those are from 1990's or eventually from the first half of the first decade of the XXI century.
New-Ray is a 1993 figure, Nayab may be around 2000 and PEC I have no idea, I assume they appeared a little after the Play Visions boom, around 2000 perhaps.

The first years of the XXI century brought a completely new industry and what we call major brands and standard sized models assumed a special protagonism since then.
Here the 2003 Schleich, 2006 Colorata and Safari Ltd.
Figures are now more realistic and tendencially larger.

Obviously I miss several Japanese figures but the tendency was to witness an increase in quality and figures turned more and more realistic.
2013 Papo and 2021 Schleich are representatives from these last years even if the Schleich is actually not more realistic than Safari's.
We can't make a correct judgement just based on giant anteaters because it is not so common in toy shape. It would be much more effective with lions or zebras.
I forgot to include the 2015 Yowies USA but that model belongs to a different market.

Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 6 EmptySun Sep 12, 2021 1:47 pm

costicuba wrote:
This is really wonderful topic topic Roger ! cheers Applause
Thank you very much for creating it.
I really enjoy watching all these great models : old and new, big and small, plastic and other materials..
with great information for every one of them, and with great photos, showing also very useful comparisons between the models.
I really like your collection of anteaters, it showes that you really like these animals. They are favorite of mine too :)
Of course there are more nice models, waiting to be added on your collection in the future,
but there is one, which I especially would like to suggest to you.
A model, which is my favorite presentation of Giant anteater.
Kaiyodo Wild Rush - Giant anteater . THIS ONE
It is much much smaller than major brands models, but at the same time , it is done much better
in my opinion. The proportions are just perfect, the details, even for such a small model are amazing.
The coloration - wonderful.
You know which is the best arctic fox model , a model which you have now :) Again the Kaiyodo Wild Rush one.... and for me the same is for the Giant anteater Wink

Thanks Kosta! I am glad you're enjoying. That Wild Rush anteater looks phenomenal. I wished shipping was not such a pain or I'd get it immediately. Yes, I know which Arctic fox is the best and I have it thanks to you. cheers

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 6 EmptySun Sep 12, 2021 2:37 pm

This is so interesting, I love seeing how things have changed over time! cheers The amazing news is, is that if you follow the trend in models, anteaters and also all plastic animals seem to be getting better in quality! cheers I wonder what the future will look like for the style of animal figures! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!   Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends! - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

Walking with Anteaters - a Sunny Tamandua and friends!
Page 6 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next