Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

CollectA 2011

Go down 
+21
Admin
Rio
baltimore zoo
remrock02
SUSANNE
pm64
lucky luke
Lasersword1973
Arrakai
skysthelimit
Sumo
MARTINLATIN
alexmotoc
Sergey
Numa
ken yeo
Kikimalou
Wildheart
HKHollinstone
Kiryuha
Roger
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Numa
Numa

Country/State : England, UK

CollectA 2011 - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2011   CollectA 2011 - Page 5 EmptyTue Jan 25, 2011 11:11 am

Kiryuha wrote:

P.S.: Numaan, could you ask which Collecta figures are to be discontinued this year?

Hello

I think it is too early to ask that question, we only started 2011 but if i find anything out I will let you know.
Back to top Go down
Kiryuha

Kiryuha

Country/State : Kyiv, Ukraine

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2011   CollectA 2011 - Page 5 EmptyTue Jan 25, 2011 4:43 pm

Roger wrote:
Kiril, this is what I call a Schleichcentric thougt!!! You are more under Schleich influence than CollectA:)
Sure I am, and I don't hide it :) About 75% of my collection is made up by Schleich, and I set up all of my displays around Schleich models. That's why I evaluate figures by other brands not only by their quality, but also look if their scale fits with Schleich counterparts.
What pleases me the most is when other brands introduce species not available in the Schleich's and other brands' ranges. But what new has Collecta presented this time? Only the manatees.

Roger wrote:
What do you think about Schleich buffalo one year after CollectA and Papo? And about the Schleich kudu, when the same species is a big hit in Papo range? And which new species did Schleich put in the market this year?
Schleich could follow some steps of the other brands as well as they could follow Schleich Wink Competition...

http://community.livejournal.com/animal_figures/
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2011   CollectA 2011 - Page 5 EmptyTue Jan 25, 2011 5:40 pm

Kiryuha wrote:
Roger wrote:
Kiril, this is what I call a Schleichcentric thougt!!! You are more under Schleich influence than CollectA:)
Sure I am, and I don't hide it :) About 75% of my collection is made up by Schleich, and I set up all of my displays around Schleich models. That's why I evaluate figures by other brands not only by their quality, but also look if their scale fits with Schleich counterparts.
What pleases me the most is when other brands introduce species not available in the Schleich's and other brands' ranges. But what new has Collecta presented this time? Only the manatees.

Roger wrote:
What do you think about Schleich buffalo one year after CollectA and Papo? And about the Schleich kudu, when the same species is a big hit in Papo range? And which new species did Schleich put in the market this year?
Schleich could follow some steps of the other brands as well as they could follow Schleich Wink Competition...

Ok Kiril, you were commenting in an individual perspective and not in general terms!
It's nice to know that Schleich is also under influence of other brands! But you should know that unusual animals are easier to produce in brands with a huge market space like Schleich and not for new brands! Who wants a black-faced sppoonbill? Only collectors probabily! And who wants ostrichs??? The market even easier to find!
Why Schleich made a greater Kudu and not another antelope? Safari have a new lesser kudu and even our talented members are smarter, the eland by Harriete and Bongo by Ana!!!
Why is Schleich not making a sitatunga, a bushbuck or even a less apealing sable antelope? Suspect
Back to top Go down
baltimore zoo

PostSubject: Baltimore zoo   CollectA 2011 - Page 5 EmptyTue Jan 25, 2011 7:23 pm

K,
Yes it is interesting to see other collectors views.
You said you don't like the Britains elephants, to me the Britians bull African is awesome!
Schleich says they want it to fit in kids hands, I wonder if the other companies have that logic(because look at the Safari Wildlife Wonders series)? Plus is making a figure just a little larger that much more difficult for a kid to hold? Because they do make some small figures that a kid could possibly swallow. You would think they would be inclined to make figures just a little bigger.
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2011   CollectA 2011 - Page 5 EmptyTue Jan 25, 2011 8:16 pm

I read, I read, I read and have a question in mind : Will I give my tow cents on this ? Yes ? No ? Yes ?? No ?? YES !!!
What a Face I can't resist. tongue

Number of wildlife species ( wild, wood and ocean)

SCHLEICH 60 and COLLECTA 62.

Number of exclusive species (wild, wood and ocean).(unseen in Papo, Safari or Bullyland)

SCHLEICH 2 or 1... ( Cuvier Thomson's gazelle and yak if we forget the Papo )
COLLECTA 2 ( Spoonbill, barn owl)

The SEA LION : this sea lion is made in that posture since 1920's by every company, so it's not a SCHLEICH idea and it is absolutely a classic. The only modern company, except the Japanese, which made a different one is SAFARI Ltd with his swimming one.
have a look here and I have only a few : [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The RED DEER family : Another classic made by many many brands and again not a SCHLEICH creation.
Have a look here and I have only a few : [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The BELOWING STAG cheers . So SCHLEICH and COLLECTA are making one... in 2011. So which one is influenced is a love affair matter.

By the way Laughing

Number of species ? (wild, wood and ocean)

BULLYLAND 63 (No Schlangen/Amphibien)
PAPO 63
Wild SAFARI Ltd only 124 ( No Monterrey bay, wildlife wonders, incredible creatures)

Number of exclusive species (wild, wood and ocean)
BULLYLAND 6 (Red kite, Goshawk, monk vulture, Common buzzard, Bearded vulture, great gray owl.)
PAPO 1 (Black swan)
Wild SAFARI Ltd only 43 (No Monterrey bay, wildlife wonders, incredible creatures)

Interresting Very Happy No ? drunken
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2011   CollectA 2011 - Page 5 EmptyTue Jan 25, 2011 9:04 pm

Very interesting as always Christophe!
Anyway the Papo Black swan is a mute swan painted in black, is it a new species???Laughing
And why is not the Bullyland griffon vulture exclusive, are you counting with the retired Schleich white-backed vulture, or is missing me another?
And I think Schleich king penguin is exclusive if you are counting with 2010 figures and if not, the new repainting looks a king too while the others are emperors! ...and the bearded vulture from Bullyland is a 2011 figure, isn't it? So you should considere the Papo... etc!! Nice exercise... cheers
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2011   CollectA 2011 - Page 5 EmptyTue Jan 25, 2011 9:46 pm

Thank you Roger Very Happy

The Papo black swan is a miss but there is no melanistic mute swan so we can say it's a bad black swan Laughing

The Bullyland griffon vulture drunken Where is my head confused Of course, so one more for Bullyland cheers .

Since the title of the topic is about the CollectA 2011, I chose the 2011 catalogues to compare. Schleich decided to stop the King penguin this year so... It's not my fault What a Face .
I forget the Papo yak because... Sometimes I need to be nice with Schleich I love you , but it was my last time for 2011 Twisted Evil Laughing .
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2011   CollectA 2011 - Page 5 EmptyTue Jan 25, 2011 9:55 pm

Kikimalou wrote:

I forget the Papo yak because... Sometimes I need to be nice with Schleich I love you , but it was my last time for 2011 Twisted Evil Laughing .

Laughing Sad

Enjoy your new Schleich Kudu, is a nice figure!:)

PS: in the other page when I said to measure the tapir ears I ment okapi ears... always confuse with so different specis!confused
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2011   CollectA 2011 - Page 5 EmptyTue Jan 25, 2011 10:00 pm

I enjoy the 5 Schleich I bought this year Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2011   CollectA 2011 - Page 5 EmptyTue Jan 25, 2011 10:25 pm

baltimore zoo wrote:
K,
Yes it is interesting to see other collectors views.
You said you don't like the Britains elephants, to me the Britians bull African is awesome!
Schleich says they want it to fit in kids hands, I wonder if the other companies have that logic(because look at the Safari Wildlife Wonders series)? Plus is making a figure just a little larger that much more difficult for a kid to hold? Because they do make some small figures that a kid could possibly swallow. You would think they would be inclined to make figures just a little bigger.

I don't know the internal rules and projects of each company but I know that companies are not in scale with each other for nearly 100 years now.
Finding the scale of a model is an exercise I like to do but is not important for my collection. On day I decided that I would collect the models I like, whatever the scale and brand they were. It was before I bought the first SChleich or Papo for myself. I used to collect nearly 1:32 models of the 50's to the 70's and I fell in love with the old 1:20 Lineol cheers . I am much more happy like that Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2011   CollectA 2011 - Page 5 EmptyTue Jan 25, 2011 10:50 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
I enjoy the 5 Schleich I bought this year Very Happy

That's nice! I've bought the kudu and the greylag goose, because it's a bird present in Portuguese fauna! Anyway I don't know the patern Schleich as painted, or maybe I'm making some confusion??confused
Surely I will buy the wolverine too!:) Here in CollectA I don't know but I think will be more!What a Face
Back to top Go down
Kiryuha

Kiryuha

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2011   CollectA 2011 - Page 5 EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 10:59 am

Kikimalou wrote:
I read, I read, I read and have a question in mind : Will I give my tow cents on this ? Yes ? No ? Yes ?? No ?? YES !!! What a Face I can't resist. tongue
Number of wildlife species ( wild, wood and ocean)
SCHLEICH 60 and COLLECTA 62.
Interresting Very Happy No ? drunken
:) Oh, you shouldn't even think of resisting your wish to discuss here, Kiki! Wink
Sure, your post is very informative.
But, alas, the model ranges of animal figures couldn't be evaluated by quantity of species only. Quality is on the first place here.
Many of Bullyland figures, for example, can't be named collectibles - they're are toys. Papo also has some awkward and unrealistic stuff - look at their lynx, for instance. Schleich has "misfigures" too, but their share is low - almost all of Schleich wild critters could look good in a wildlife display.

Kikimalou wrote:
Snakes & amphibians should be counted as well, I think.

Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2011   CollectA 2011 - Page 5 EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 4:17 pm

Kiryuha wrote:

:) Oh, you shouldn't even think of resisting your wish to discuss here, Kiki! Wink
Sure, your post is very informative.
But, alas, the model ranges of animal figures couldn't be evaluated by quantity of species only. Quality is on the first place here.
Many of Bullyland figures, for example, can't be named collectibles - they're are toys. Papo also has some awkward and unrealistic stuff - look at their lynx, for instance. Schleich has "misfigures" too, but their share is low - almost all of Schleich wild critters could look good in a wildlife display.

Kyril, I understand your taste for Schleich and I respect it a lot but I can't agree. No Wink

What is quality ? Number of layers of paint ? Quality level of the PVC ? Accuracy ? Stamina ?

Quantity of species is an objective criterion.

For quality, it is much more subjective.

One example, I'm just looking at three cape buffaloes right now, the Papo, the Safari and the Schleich. The level of quality is the same among those models. The difference one can see is only a matter of taste. Some may say the Papo is too bodybuilded, the Safari has got too oblique hooves and the Schleich is still too chubby.

The style is different, not the level of quality.

Collecting is a love affair and we don't love all the same woman.

I prefer the Bullyland elephants (both asian or African) to the Schleich, the Bullyland black rhino than the Schleich one and the Bullyland croc than the Schleich.
And I also prefer the Papo lynx to the Schleich which I dislike What a Face ( I have a great hope with the 2011 Safari one)
I myself think some of the Schleich are not serious or too toyish. For example : The lions, elephants, chimps, black rhino, standing raccoon, the croc of course...

Sometimes I must admit I think those models have a low quality.

But I'm wrong ( maybe Wink) , I just dislike them and I know some serious collector here who worshiped them so...

Kiryuha wrote:

Kikimalou wrote:
Snakes & amphibians should be counted as well, I think.

I didn't count them because I didn't count the Safari Ltd "Incredibe creatures" Wink
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2011   CollectA 2011 - Page 5 EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 4:51 pm

Oh Kiril, the Papo lynx fits better withthe scales you are working!!! Don't you think the Schleich lynx is too big??? It was not you who told the scales are very important???
And again the penguins, emperors are 30% higher than kings, have you already see both Schleich altogether??? The same size???? I know there are not penguins in African savanas, but n euroasian lynx too! Love to write your oppinions but many contradictions! You are a Schleich lover and I am too, but we need to be impartial!:)
To me the most important is the toy be educational, not only diversity or quality and I see in catalogues that the most accurate scientifically is Safari, but I'm only seeing it in cathalogues! And the brand where I find more flaws is Schleich inspite of 75 years history and I think more than 20 years making wild animals!
I know you love to be controversial as a jornalistic strategy to see mainly what Christophe thinks of it!
But let me tell you that even CollectA, 5 years brand, have many figures better than Schleich!Very Happy cheers
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2011   CollectA 2011 - Page 5 EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 6:28 pm

BULLYLAND 6 (Red kite, Goshawk, monk vulture, Common buzzard, Bearded vulture, great gray owl.)

Anyone could help me?? This Bullyland goshawk is the Northern??? Autour des palombes??? I know Christophe, you have an old goshawk from vintage brands, what's your oppiniion???cheers
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2011   CollectA 2011 - Page 5 EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 7:44 pm

Roger wrote:

Anyone could help me?? This Bullyland goshawk is the Northern??? Autour des palombes??? I know Christophe, you have an old goshawk from vintage brands, what's your oppiniion???cheers

Exclusive species... I mean among the 5 modern manufacturers : Bullyland, CollectA, Papo, Safari Ltd and Schleich.

By the way, it's good to know that someone else than Willy and I have a look on my website cheers
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Country/State : NRW, Germany

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2011   CollectA 2011 - Page 5 EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 7:49 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
Roger wrote:

Exclusive species... I mean among the 5 modern manufacturers : Bullyland, CollectA, Papo, Safari Ltd and Schleich.

By the way, it's good to know that someone else than Willy and I have a look on my website cheers

Me too Cool
Back to top Go down
https://sts-forum.forumieren.de
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2011   CollectA 2011 - Page 5 EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 8:07 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
Roger wrote:

Christophe, I know you were only comparing modern figures! I only wanted to know your oppinion about the Bullyland goshawk and if it is really a Northern goshawk??? Suspect
Je veux savoir se la figure de bullyland est vraiment un autour des palombes puis que le mot anglais "goshawk" est três generique!!!
You already know that my English is very bad and now you also know that my french is even worst! But I'm very talented in Portuguese language!tongue
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2011   CollectA 2011 - Page 5 EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 8:18 pm

Admin wrote:
Kikimalou wrote:

Me too Cool

What a very fine place cheers So much VIP drunken
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2011   CollectA 2011 - Page 5 EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 8:21 pm

Roger wrote:

Christophe, I know you were only comparing modern figures! I only wanted to know your oppinion about the Bullyland goshawk and if it is really a Northern goshawk??? Suspect
Je veux savoir se la figure de bullyland est vraiment un autour des palombes puis que le mot anglais "goshawk" est três generique!!!
You already know that my English is very bad and now you also know that my french is even worst! But I'm very talented in Portuguese language!tongue

confused confused confused scratch scratch scratch No comprendo No
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2011   CollectA 2011 - Page 5 EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 8:21 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
confused confused confused scratch scratch scratch No comprendo No

lol!
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2011   CollectA 2011 - Page 5 EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 8:23 pm

I don't know if it is an autour des palombes because I need to have it in hand. Maybe it is a Northern goshawk because it is a German bird Wink

But, ok, there is the greatest chance it is a Northern. Do you have an other idea ? study
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2011   CollectA 2011 - Page 5 EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 8:33 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
I don't know if it is an autour des palombes because I need to have it in hand. Maybe it is a Northern goshawk because it is a German bird Wink

But, ok, there is the greatest chance it is a Northern. Do you have an other idea ? study

It is different from yours in your website, that's why I'm asking you, anyway if it is German is a habicht!!!study

No, I saw a lot of goshawks and it should be a Northern goshawk, and when not specified is because it is a Northern!!! In Portuguese called açor!::)

Last edited by Roger on Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kiryuha

Kiryuha

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2011   CollectA 2011 - Page 5 EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 8:55 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
What is quality ? Number of layers of paint ? Quality level of the PVC ? Accuracy ? Stamina ?
Yeah, it is the combination of these features. With realism & accuracy being on the 1st place.
Kikimalou wrote:
For quality, it is much more subjective... Collecting is a love affair and we don't love all the same woman.
:) Sure. That is why we can have interesting discussions here instead of simply agreeing with each other. Wink

Kikimalou wrote:
One example, I'm just looking at three cape buffaloes right now, the Papo, the Safari and the Schleich. The level of quality is the same among those models. The difference one can see is only a matter of taste. Some may say the Papo is too bodybuilded, the Safari has got too oblique hooves and the Schleich is still too chubby.
The style is different, not the level of quality.
The styles differ indeed, but quality of surface finish of the buffaloes differs too, and pretty much.

Kikimalou wrote:
And I also prefer the Papo lynx to the Schleich which I dislike What a Face ...
Oh, really? It's surprising to me. scratch Although the Schleich lynx is not an all-time masterpiece, I can't even compare it with the Papo one... Hm, many men - many minds indeed!
Kikimalou wrote:
I myself think some of the Schleich are not serious or too toyish. For example : The lions, elephants, chimps, black rhino, standing raccoon, the croc of course...
Here I can agree with you, excluding only the black rhino - it's a very presentable figurine. What do you have against it?

Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2011   CollectA 2011 - Page 5 EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 11:07 pm

So, what about realism and accuracy, surface finish, lynx and black rhino ? Laughing

IMHO "quality" is a very subjective idea. You put a lot of things in this word and at the end you have only a personal point of view.
There is a lot of ideas about quality shared by a lot of people so we could agree about some very bad models or excellent one.
But when we begin to discuss about models made by the majors, the differences are not so evident and a lot of our choices are not objective choices. i don't mean they are bad habit... but far less objective than we think.

One example : the surface finish is one point among others, sometimes it matters and sometimes not. The surface finish of the Papo dinos are maybe the most incredible among the majors. A lot of collectors think that they are the best models because they are so brillant. I think the Safari are better because they are far more realist and the surface finish is softer but very fine.
Nobody's wrong, we just don't look at the same thing.

Another thing : our past and culture is important too. In the 60's and 70's, the world was less open and the choice among toys were different in each country. In the USA, Marx produced very finely sculpted models but... unpainted. In Deutchland, Hausser elastolin produced very finely sculpted very soft plastic animals. In GB and a lot of other country, Britains ruled with finely sculpted models but poorly painted and sometimes poorly assembled. In France, Starlux produced the biggest range of animal models, sometimes fine sometimes odd but all painted and really hard plastic. Using hard plastic means your models are more fragile but allow you to make thiner horns, legs or snake tongue.
That's maybe why the range of a company is important for me. That's surely why I dislike too chubby models. And that's also why I don't collect unpainted animals, except a few. My mind and taste are not so free.. What a Face Laughing .

Realism and accuracy first ! really ? Let's talk about the Schleich black rhino. What do I like in this model ? It is a good toy, very finely made and the surface finish is good enough. It is seriously made. Ok, but it's also true for the CollectA white rhino and the Papo or Bullyland Black rhino...
What I dislike and why I prefer the others ? Because it is for me the less realist and accurate !
Why ? look at the proportion cyclops . the eyes are too big as always with the Schleich but it's not important. the head is as big at the abdomen, it's not a rhino it is a caricature.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

A real black rhino

Among the other modern black rhino, I prefer this one ( Cna I say it is at a better quality level ?)

But if I have to choose the best black rhino I know ( and own Very Happy ) It is this one

So, surface finish, realism and accuracy are often meaningless in our choice I guess.

And now what about the lynx. None of them are perfect but, how could I prefer this....Papo to the excellent... Schleich ? Because the Papo let me think more about a lynx than the Schleich. Some don't like the head of the Papo and I don't like the head of the Schleich. For me the Papo is moving like a lynx in the Taïga and not the Schleich. I like the way he walk and I can do nothing against this. One let me dream and the other bore me... That's life Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2011   CollectA 2011 - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

CollectA 2011
Page 5 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next