Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

CollectA 2011

Go down 
+21
Admin
Rio
baltimore zoo
remrock02
SUSANNE
pm64
lucky luke
Lasersword1973
Arrakai
skysthelimit
Sumo
MARTINLATIN
alexmotoc
Sergey
Numa
ken yeo
Kikimalou
Wildheart
HKHollinstone
Kiryuha
Roger
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
HKHollinstone

HKHollinstone

Country/State : England, CUMBRIA

CollectA 2011 - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2011   CollectA 2011 - Page 4 EmptySun Jan 23, 2011 3:58 pm

Roger wrote:
HKHollinstone wrote:
Yes, I wondered what size the CollectA Asian elephant was. But I'm imagining it will be too small compared with the Schleich zebras - I'm going to try and sculpt an Asian elephant, so see how that turns out, then I won't have to look for an in scale elephant anymore cheers

Harriete, I think CollectA Asian elephant will be smaller than the CollectA African elephant!
So, very small to your zebra!
If you want a picture from the CollectA african elephant near a Schleich zebra tell me.
But why are you using a zebra to compare with an Asian elephant???
Well, I wanted to make a zoo diorama and the Schleich Zebras were the scale I was going to use, so I'm collecting animals that are in scale with the zebras. I already have a rhino, okapi and giraffe in scale.

Back to top Go down
http://hkhollinstone.weebly.com/
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2011   CollectA 2011 - Page 4 EmptySun Jan 23, 2011 5:52 pm

HKHollinstone wrote:
Roger wrote:
HKHollinstone wrote:
Yes, I wondered what size the CollectA Asian elephant was. But I'm imagining it will be too small compared with the Schleich zebras - I'm going to try and sculpt an Asian elephant, so see how that turns out, then I won't have to look for an in scale elephant anymore cheers

Harriete, I think CollectA Asian elephant will be smaller than the CollectA African elephant!
If you want a picture from the CollectA african elephant near a Schleich zebra tell me.
Well, I wanted to make a zoo diorama and the Schleich Zebras were the scale I was going to use, so I'm collecting animals that are in scale with the zebras. I already have a rhino, okapi and giraffe in scale.

That's very interesting! I have the Schleich female zebra and it is about 1:22 scale! But it works perfectly as a 1:20 scale, some small zebra. But not all zebras have the same size!
So I think the new Schleich kudu will work nicely with your zebra too!
Loved to know the brands of the figures you are choosing, is interesting for those who collect in scale. The CollectA giraffe in 1:22 scale will work as a 4,25 m giraffe! Not bed for a reticulated!
Don't forget to show your Zoo!!!Very Happy
Back to top Go down
HKHollinstone

HKHollinstone

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2011   CollectA 2011 - Page 4 EmptySun Jan 23, 2011 6:02 pm

Roger wrote:
HKHollinstone wrote:
Roger wrote:
HKHollinstone wrote:

That's very interesting! I have the Schleich female zebra and it is about 1:22 scale! But it works perfectly as a 1:20 scale, some small zebra. But not all zebras have the same size!
Loved to know the brands of the figures you are choosing, is interesting for those who collect in scale. The CollectA giraffe in 1:22 scale will work as a 4,25 m giraffe! Not bed for a reticulated!
Yes, I'll show you all my zoo diorama, when I start doing it Laughing
Well, first the Giraffe I painted is AAA, the black Rhino (I'm not sure if it's too big scratch ) is Bullyland, the large version. I think the Papo Okapi is alright with the Schleich Zebras, the schleich one is too big.
I don't usually mind models not being in scale with each other - I really would like the Wildlife Wonders Okapi and that's huge! The schleich male zebra is bigger then the female, I always use him as a guide.

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2011   CollectA 2011 - Page 4 EmptySun Jan 23, 2011 6:34 pm

HKHollinstone wrote:
Roger wrote:
HKHollinstone wrote:
Roger wrote:
HKHollinstone wrote:

Well, first the Giraffe I painted is AAA, the black Rhino (I'm not sure if it's too big scratch ) is Bullyland, the large version. I think the Papo Okapi is alright with the Schleich Zebras, the schleich one is too big.
I don't usually mind models not being in scale with each other - I really would like the Wildlife Wonders Okapi and that's huge! The schleich male zebra is bigger then the female, I always use him as a guide.

Oh, I remember, you have the most beautiful giraffe of this forum, I have no idea about its size! The Papo okapi is a nice choice! I'm seeing the size of the rhino (63610) in my catalogue and with some measuerements it looks to have 8 cm high at sholders, so it is 1,60m, perfet size in 1:20 scale! As you are very talented I think we will see very nice figures! cheers
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2011   CollectA 2011 - Page 4 EmptySun Jan 23, 2011 9:43 pm

HKHollinstone wrote:

confused It's not the first time I heard the story of the Schleich okapi which is too BIG scratch I still don't understand geek .

The Schleich okapi is 8,5 cm at shoulder and the Papo 8 cm. An okapi is 1,80m at shoulder... It means the Schleich is 1:21 and the Papo 1:22...
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2011   CollectA 2011 - Page 4 EmptySun Jan 23, 2011 9:53 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
HKHollinstone wrote:

confused It's not the first time I heard the story of the Schleich okapi which is too BIG scratch I still don't understand geek .

The Schleich okapi is 8,5 cm at shoulder and the Papo 8 cm. An okapi is 1,80m at shoulder... It means the Schleich is 1:21 and the Papo 1:22...

And Christophe, have you already measured the scale of the ears of the Schleich tapir or the scale of the tail of the Schleich Kudu??? What a Face
Back to top Go down
skysthelimit

skysthelimit

Country/State : Serbia

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2011   CollectA 2011 - Page 4 EmptySun Jan 23, 2011 9:57 pm

Kikimalou wrote:

The main difference seems to be in the lenght and angle of the neck

Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2011   CollectA 2011 - Page 4 EmptySun Jan 23, 2011 10:01 pm

Roger wrote:
Kikimalou wrote:

And Christophe, have you already measured the scale of the ears of the Schleich tapir or the scale of the tail of the Schleich Kudu??? What a Face

Which Schleich kudu ? The older or the new one ???? Laughing
Back to top Go down
skysthelimit

skysthelimit

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2011   CollectA 2011 - Page 4 EmptySun Jan 23, 2011 10:02 pm

lol!

Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2011   CollectA 2011 - Page 4 EmptySun Jan 23, 2011 10:02 pm

skysthelimit wrote:
Kikimalou wrote:

The main difference seems to be in the lenght and angle of the neck

And the scale of the head Shocked
Back to top Go down
skysthelimit

skysthelimit

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2011   CollectA 2011 - Page 4 EmptySun Jan 23, 2011 10:03 pm

Just a bit Very Happy

Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2011   CollectA 2011 - Page 4 EmptySun Jan 23, 2011 10:33 pm

[/quote]

Which Schleich kudu ? The older or the new one ???? Laughing[/quote]

OK, so measure the scale of the beard of the old kudu and the tail of the new, then tell me!Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2011   CollectA 2011 - Page 4 EmptySun Jan 23, 2011 10:36 pm

EASY study scratch sunny The scale is 1:Schleich cheers
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2011   CollectA 2011 - Page 4 EmptySun Jan 23, 2011 10:43 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
EASY study scratch sunny The scale is 1:Schleich cheers

BINGO!!! cheers
Back to top Go down
baltimore zoo

PostSubject: Baltimore zoo   CollectA 2011 - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 24, 2011 4:19 am

Kikimalou,
I'm not a fan of Bullyland, but I do like the the size of the African elephant.
As far as your reference to a kudu calf living with a male kudu, that's how I should approach the new Papo Asian elephant situation, not in my zoo animal figure world.
And Roger, I didn't see the catalogue with the adult black rhino and white rhino calf. But they need to change it!
As far as displaying, I don't want to stare at my elephant's buttocks...
Good idea(I do that myself) with where you place figures to help make look more in proportion. However, my display cases aren't large enough to do that.
Also, as far as Britain's, since the elephants are the largest, the other animals are smaller in relation to them. If I use the Papo African elephant, the Papo lions would be to big when put in the same display with them. I feel the Papo big cats(Lions, tigers, cheetah, leopards, and jag), all look fine displayed together(they are pretty close to all(biggest group of Papo animals) being in the same scale), so they are my standard, and I want all the other figures to be in(or look as close) scale with them.
I can live with displaying the Papo big cats(as mentioned), gorilla, orang, nile croc, black bear, tapir, cape buffalo, giraffes, dromedaries, and hippos.
Back to top Go down
HKHollinstone

HKHollinstone

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2011   CollectA 2011 - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 24, 2011 8:38 am

I love the schleich Okapi, but it doesn't live up to my favourite wild animal. The head is too big and the ears - look at the elegant neck and head of a real Okapi
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Here's a link to the Papo
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
and schleich
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
I think out of the two the Papo is the most accurate and in scale with a Schleich Zebra.

Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2011   CollectA 2011 - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 24, 2011 10:36 am

HKHollinstone wrote:
I love the schleich Okapi, but it doesn't live up to my favourite wild animal. The head is too big and the ears - look at the elegant neck and head of a real Okapi

I agree with you Harriet, I've got these two guys Wink .

What I ment is : the problem with the Schleich okapi isn't the scale... It's the sculpt !

As often with Schleich, head, eyes and ears are too big and animals are too chubby. That's why they are cute... That's why they are not very realist alien .

I already said that in another topic but just have a look at the "famous" Schleich black rhino cyclops cyclops cyclops The head is as big as the abdomen clown Laughing
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2011   CollectA 2011 - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 24, 2011 3:24 pm

This is what I’m always trying to say: big heads, big ears and sometimes short bodies or even fat bodies! Those are typical strategies to develop cute figures. See what happen with plushes or cartoons! Of course Schleich do it in a subtle way, that is the reason why I say that they are more beautiful but not accurate or more educational!
But people love it and I have nothing against the taste of each person.
however don’t call masterpiece when a replica is beautiful but not perfect!
Of course there are too very nice figures in this brand!
Back to top Go down
Kiryuha

Kiryuha

Country/State : Kyiv, Ukraine

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2011   CollectA 2011 - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 24, 2011 7:32 pm

Many thanks for the info, Numaan!
Well, I was expecting more interesting critters from Collecta after they introduced some really fresh things last year... Sad
And now we have only 1 species that isn't already on the market - the manatee.
Most of the others are represented by all the major brands (only the Snow leopard is made by just two majors - Safari & Bullyland).
Moreover, Schleich's influence is too visible this time: ostrich chikcs, sea lion, Red Squirrel Eating, red deer family (and the stag is bellowing - surprise!)...
After the last year's fresh and extraordinary buffalo, peregrine falcon and spoonbills it all looks as a step back. Don't you agree with me, friends?

P.S.: Numaan, could you ask which Collecta figures are to be discontinued this year?

http://community.livejournal.com/animal_figures/
Kiryuha

Kiryuha

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2011   CollectA 2011 - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 24, 2011 7:35 pm

Roger wrote:
...And about sizes, the best dioramas I'm seeing in this forum has wrong scaled
animals, people uses the distances. in a diorama, you put almost always the smaller closer and
the biggest farer. So, has the space for the diorama is not as deep as real life, the smaller scale of
the bigger animals makes it looks farer, see it putting the giraffes behind ]all animals!
You're right, that's a good solution to cope with scales, although it doesn't work in every case.

baltimore zoo wrote:
Oh yeah, and the sea lion looks like the old Schleich sea lon! What's the
matter can't come up with a sea lion in a new position?
100%!

Kikimalou wrote:
By the way, Papo elephants and Schleich hippo are in scale with Britains
Very Happy
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

baltimore zoo

PostSubject: Baltimore zoo   CollectA 2011 - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 24, 2011 9:18 pm

K,
I'm still not satisfied with any Papo elephants,(be it size or they're not realistic enough), so as you said Papo elephant and Schleich hippo are in scale(as Britians),
but I really don't care for either figure, so stuck in the elephant quandary.
I do like the Papo(open mouth) hippo, just need an elephant to go with that
one.
I still wonder how all(each company) product designers decide on what scale to make each on each individual figure? Because there's no rhyme or reason pattern to it. I mean why do they make adult 7"-8" tall giraffes, instead of making them
4" tall? They seem to kind of get it right on the giraffes(a descent 7"-8" in height), but why not on elephants?
Back to top Go down
HKHollinstone

HKHollinstone

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2011   CollectA 2011 - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 24, 2011 9:37 pm

baltimore zoo wrote:
K,
I'm still not satisfied with any Papo elephants,(be it size or they're not realistic enough), so as you said Papo elephant and Schleich hippo are in scale(as Britians),
I do like the Papo(open mouth) hippo, just need an elephant to go with that
one.
I still wonder how all(each company) product designers decide on what scale to make each on each individual figure? Because there's no rhyme or reason pattern to it. I mean why do they make adult 7"-8" tall giraffes, instead of making them
4" tall? They seem to kind of get it right on the giraffes(a descent 7"-8" in height), but why not on elephants?
Their main audience is children - they think they can get away with making elephants small to save money, maybe. Because children don't care really whether animals are in scale with each other. They wouldn't have to make them that much bigger to be in scale, I agree it is silly.

By the way, the Bullyland large black rhino that I have, is it in scale with the Papo hippo? I have them both but I'm not sure still.

Last edited by HKHollinstone on Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2011   CollectA 2011 - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 24, 2011 10:59 pm

baltimore zoo wrote:
K,

B, it's always interresting to see different collectors point .

I'm very satisfied with the papo elephants and I use them with the Britains giraffe and other 1:32 stuff because I really dislike the Britains elephant Laughing
Back to top Go down
Kiryuha

Kiryuha

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2011   CollectA 2011 - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 24, 2011 11:15 pm

baltimore zoo wrote:
...I still wonder how all(each company) product designers decide on what scale to make each on each individual figure? Because there's no rhyme or reason pattern to it...
Schleich wrote in the catalogs that their figures are designed to fit children's hands. I think it means not too large and too small animals.

Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2011   CollectA 2011 - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 24, 2011 11:51 pm

Kiryuha wrote:
Many thanks for the info, Numaan!
Well, I was expecting more interesting critters from Collecta after they introduced some really fresh things last year... Sad
And now we have only 1 species that isn't already on the market - the manatee.
Most of the others are represented by all the major brands (only the Snow leopard is made by just two majors - Safari & Bullyland).
Moreover, Schleich's influence is too visible this time: ostrich chikcs, sea lion, Red Squirrel Eating, red deer family (and the stag is bellowing - surprise!)...
After the last year's fresh and extraordinary buffalo, peregrine falcon and spoonbills it all looks as a step back. Don't you agree with me, friends?

P.S.: Numaan, could you ask which Collecta figures are to be discontinued this year?

The red deer is a remaking, like in Schleich, so no influence! The sea lion is a very old Schleich figure, probabily soon retired, ostrich chikcs, sea lion, Red Squirrel Eating are in other brands too! Ostrich were a big miss in CollectA range like it is a cheetah!
What do you think about Schleich buffalo one year after CollectA and Papo? And about the Schleich kudu, when the same species is a big hit in Papo range? And which new species did Schleich put in the market this year?
Kiril, this is what I call a Schleichcentric thougt!!! You are more under Schleich influence than CollectAdon't you aggree???:)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CollectA 2011   CollectA 2011 - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

CollectA 2011
Page 4 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next