Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!

Go down 
+31
Joliezac
Duck-Anch-Amun
NandO
Shanti
Seeway
Birdsage
Jill
RtasVadumee
George
Loon
Burgerenby
A-J
rogerpgvg
Kikimalou
Farm collector
Ana
Roger
spacelab
Pardofelis
Bonnie
costicuba
Caracal
Advicot
Taos
lucky luke
widukind
pipsxlch
SUSANNE
bmathison1972
landrover
Saarlooswolfhound
35 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13 ... 21  Next
AuthorMessage
Jill

Jill

Country/State : USA

Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!  - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!    Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!  - Page 5 EmptySat Apr 17, 2021 10:43 pm

Saarlooswolfhound wrote:
Oh thank you Jill! Your comments, especially coming from a zoo keeper background, mean a lot!
To be fair, my taxonomic knowledge has been absolutely bested by the crowd in this hobby. Laughing I am floored by the breadth of knowledge!! (But equids have always been a passion!)

EDIT: Also very impressed you even attempted that melanistic zebra, even more that you managed to get it right!
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!    Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!  - Page 5 EmptySat Apr 17, 2021 11:47 pm

The knowledge on this forum is diverse and deep indeed, I have felt out of water a few times. Wink Google is a great help sometimes for me. Laughing BUT we are all here for the SAME reason, a deep passion for animals and a love of this hobby! We all learn from each other. I myself am a canine enthusiast mostly, but I have enjoyed painting these other kinds of animals too, surprisingly I think my pirahna was the most fun and best unexpected result so far! My raccoon dog my best over all though with a lot of work and patience... thank you for your words on my zebra too. Not my favorite work result but it was challenging and showed me how to do it better and it will probably be touched up at some point. I shared it so anyone who is also trying to repaint can see that it doesn't always pan out but its good to try anyway. Wink I have some more "re-dos" coming also from childhood paint mistakes... Embarassed but I hope they work out better on round 2.  Rolling Eyes Anyway long story short... thanks again!  cheers

Enough late night rambling from me...

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous

Last edited by Saarlooswolfhound on Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Burgerenby

Burgerenby

Country/State : Deutschland

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!    Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!  - Page 5 EmptySun Apr 18, 2021 3:30 am

Ohh, I've also been thinking of making a melanistic zebra for a while, maybe with a different pattern variation.
I'm amazed the raccoon dog custom turned out so well without having to edit the sculpt.
Back to top Go down
Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!    Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!  - Page 5 EmptySun Apr 18, 2021 7:07 pm

Saarlooswolfhound wrote:
The knowledge on this forum is diverse and deep indeed, I have felt out of water a few times. Wink Gpogle is a great help sometimes for me. Laughing
Yes, I feel like it's time to break the text books back out! All my -ology classes were a number of years ago now. Laughing

Quote :
surprisingly I think my pirahna was the most fun and best unexpected result so far!

You know, I think piranha are one of the most underrated fish for how beautiful they are. The way they sparkle! I love that you painted one. :) Also your red wolf. I'm in North Carolina, and I have worked with red wolves for a number of years (in zoos, not out at Alligator River). I have even had a chance to participate in the care of a litter of four (raised by their parents) and have been to a few red wolf SSP conventions. I love that you chose to represent them as well! I recognized it immediately when scrolling through, before I saw what you said it was, so I would say that speaks highly of your skill. After all, they are so easy to confuse with a coyote even in real life, to get the key markers in a figure it impressive!

Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!    Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!  - Page 5 EmptySun Apr 18, 2021 7:25 pm

Thank you burgerenby and jill again!

The raccoon dog needed no resculpting at all, the paws gave it away for it should have been; short digits and paw pads, not handlike for a raccon at all. So the decision was made for me really. Wink

And Jill, you flatter me! I am extremely jealous of your work with red wolves (a dream to me), they need more people like you on their side! Unfortunately they have hybridized with coyotes extensively in some populations which makes each one (whether its hybrid or not) precious. Thanks again for your words of encouragement.  sunny

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
A-J

A-J

Country/State : The Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!    Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!  - Page 5 EmptyMon Apr 19, 2021 3:56 pm

Great new repaints! The zebra variant is really cool and I don't think I've seen a lot of repaints like these before. And the fox and the squirrel have such nice unique colours too cheers But the one drawing my attention the most is the tanuki/racoon dog I love you A lot of times I worry while layering different colours that it won't work out too, but in my experience every piece goes to an "ugly stage" before it it all seems to work together in the end. I think you did an excellent job with this model Applause cheers

Back to top Go down
https://www.instagram.com/ajs.artistry/
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!    Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!  - Page 5 EmptyTue Apr 20, 2021 1:09 am

You mean you haven't seen many repaints of different color morphs and mutations? I have several more planned... Wink And thank you, I am quite proud of my tanuki and how it came out.  Razz

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!    Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!  - Page 5 EmptyThu Apr 22, 2021 5:19 am

I am naturally excited about the grey fox but just as the majority of the people posting here, my favorite is the racoon dog. That racoon figure is being debated also for a long time and I believe we have no idea of what it is. Your fantastic repaint, without any sculpts changes, has really worked perfectly and you turned an ambiguous figure into a fantastic model. cheers

Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!    Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!  - Page 5 EmptyThu Apr 22, 2021 11:49 am

Thank you Roger! It is a really strange sculpt overall. But I am glad my paint job worked so well and people like it! I might post a new family photo of my raccoon dogs soon to show comparison... might be biased but I like my repaint best of the 3 I have.  Laughing

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!    Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!  - Page 5 EmptyFri Apr 23, 2021 4:44 pm

Saarlooswolfhound wrote:
Thank you Roger! It is a really strange sculpt overall. But I am glad my paint job worked so well and people like it! I might post a new family photo of my raccoon dogs soon to show comparison... might be biased but I like my repaint best of the 3 I have.  Laughing

It is fair that you are proud of your work and how perspicacious you were about this figure. There aren't many racoon dog figures but I am sure you have a beautiful little family to show.

Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!    Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!  - Page 5 EmptySun Apr 25, 2021 1:08 pm

Thanks Roger.  sunny

My painting rate was a bit stunted this week from being busy, but here are my first 3 to show of the new batch! The before:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

First up is my favorite dinosaur. The weather is rainy so these don't have the best lighting. Didn't quite achieve the effect I was hoping for but I haven't ever done a dinosaur before and the texture was a bit difficult on this one.

Then I wanted a little more interesting coat pattern for a brahma in my herd.

And then a more controversial species. A kabomani tapir (whether you consider it a new species OR simply a color morph of the brazilian tapir, I just wanted something a little different species-wise albeit simple to paint)

Last edited by Saarlooswolfhound on Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!    Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!  - Page 5 EmptySun Apr 25, 2021 1:38 pm

I love how you have chosen to repaint each of the models- each style/ pattern fits them perfectly and adds something really unusual to your collection! cheers Applause
I love the colours on the dinosaur, you have painted them so well- they complement each other beautifully and look so professional, as though they are printed! Very Happy And I alos really love the mottled pattern on the Brahma! cheers
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!    Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!  - Page 5 EmptySun Apr 25, 2021 2:37 pm

Applause Applause Applause

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Burgerenby

Burgerenby

Country/State : Deutschland

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!    Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!  - Page 5 EmptySun Apr 25, 2021 5:20 pm

Ohhh I remember the kabomani tapir from the TetZoo podcast, such an interesting choice.
The speckles on the Brahman are interesting to look at.
Interesting colour choice for the Spinosaurus, a nice blend of bird-like and tropical fish aspects.
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!    Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!  - Page 5 EmptySun Apr 25, 2021 6:06 pm

I love especially the tapir! Such a good idea regardless of what we consider it. I suspect Susanne will love your dino. Laughing

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!    Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!  - Page 5 EmptySun Apr 25, 2021 10:30 pm

Oh, the brahma is really fun! I love that pattern and those colors, great choice, and I like how you executed it. Lots of variation and "randomness" to the pattern. And I learned something knew via your tapir, very awesome!
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!    Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!  - Page 5 EmptyMon Apr 26, 2021 4:17 am

Great cheers I have a bias for the Emerald toucanet and Melanistic zebra. It seems the pics of teh melanistic foal is spreading the plague everywhere. Laughing These photos gave me the inspiration to paint an eohippus from Tams7prairie Wink

What to tell about the Kabomani tapir scratch Despite I love your idea, this model have very long legs and this "species" is known to have shorter legs than the other tapirs, maybe it's the right figure to try a custom ? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!    Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!  - Page 5 EmptyMon Apr 26, 2021 12:30 pm

Thank you very much everyone!

I know the scientific description for kabomani says that the femur length is shorter than in other tapirs, but from the dark nighttime photos of them they look proportionally about the same. Alas, given my poor skills with heavy customizing I probably won't for this model. *I also fixed my mistake above regarding the species involved.

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!    Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!  - Page 5 EmptyMon Apr 26, 2021 1:33 pm

I love the tapir

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Taos

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!    Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!  - Page 5 EmptyMon Apr 26, 2021 4:32 pm

Beautiful repaints,the Brahma is really great.If you have another spare may I suggest a cherry red Santa Gertrudis or a black/white speckled Nguni. Smile

Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!    Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!  - Page 5 EmptyMon Apr 26, 2021 5:02 pm

I almost did a pattern similar to the speckled nguni. I don't have another brahma but I do have some china cattle I was going to paint sometime at least for practice. I will for sure ask you for some ideas!

Thank you Andreas and Taylor!

Back to top Go down
lucky luke

lucky luke

Country/State : FRANCE Saint-Louis

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!    Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!  - Page 5 EmptyTue Apr 27, 2021 1:33 am

Beautiful repaints Very Happy Applause cheers
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!    Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!  - Page 5 EmptyTue Apr 27, 2021 4:11 am

I agree! cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!    Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!  - Page 5 EmptyTue Apr 27, 2021 11:40 am

Thank you Luke and Alain! Very Happy

Here are the other 3 from the batch. First off the one that again didn't quite turn out how I hoped but was good practice. Safari toob croc into a smooth fronted caiman.

Then the two I like best, a white throated toucan from a Schleich copy.

And a baby mountain tapir for my family out of the nayab mini model.

Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!    Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!  - Page 5 EmptyTue Apr 27, 2021 12:05 pm

Applause Applause Applause Applause

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!    Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!  - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!
Page 5 of 21Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13 ... 21  Next