Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!

Go down 
+31
Joliezac
Duck-Anch-Amun
NandO
Shanti
Seeway
Birdsage
Jill
RtasVadumee
George
Loon
Burgerenby
A-J
rogerpgvg
Kikimalou
Farm collector
Ana
Roger
spacelab
Pardofelis
Bonnie
costicuba
Caracal
Advicot
Taos
lucky luke
widukind
pipsxlch
SUSANNE
bmathison1972
landrover
Saarlooswolfhound
35 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 21  Next
AuthorMessage
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!  - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!    Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!  - Page 4 EmptyWed 14 Apr 2021, 02:44

Next 3 are finished! Here is the before photo of the next batch:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

This is another model that I have had for some time but just couldn't get quite right. Several tries, now I am satisfied with the job. A gray fox:

This was a copy of the Schleich bernese mt dog pup, painted poorly. I have turned it into a shepherding variety ovcharka pup for my custom pair!

The proud parents

And lastly, a south rim Grand Canyon squirrel from an old Schleich

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
George

George

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!    Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!  - Page 4 EmptyWed 14 Apr 2021, 03:18

These are really nice, the fox is my favourite. I'm enjoying getting to know people's painting styles as I get familiar with who's who on the forum, I like yours a lot :)

widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!    Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!  - Page 4 EmptyWed 14 Apr 2021, 03:37

Applause Applause Applause Applause

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Advicot

Advicot

Country/State : A farm in Britiain

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!    Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!  - Page 4 EmptyWed 14 Apr 2021, 03:46

Wonderful work Very Happy

"Our planet is in crisis. The monster of this earth, is not a tiger nor a lion or shark. It's us we've destroyed the planet." (My own quote)
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!    Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!  - Page 4 EmptyWed 14 Apr 2021, 03:53

Three beautiful, beautiful repaints! The markings on the fox are so accurate, and the darling squirrel has so much detail! cheers cheers
But the little Ovcharka pup, ohhh this puppy has been painted so well!! cheers I love you Applause
I love how you have painted his little markings, it gives him such a sweet expression which really fits well with the tilted head! cheers And now you have completed the family, and what a wonderful family they are! Very Happy And I see them settling in perfectly with the beautiful Papo Pyrenees! Very Happy
Interesting that you chose the shepherding variety- I've never heard of this type, but knew that there were variants depending on the area they were bred, with many having become breeds in their own right like the Kars Dog.. I'd love to know more about this variety- maybe it has a separate more common name? Very Happy I tried to do some research and there seems to be varying sources on the number of varieties there are, but I couldn't find the shepherding variety! I'd love to know more about this variety, as your repainted model is beautiful! sunny
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!    Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!  - Page 4 EmptyWed 14 Apr 2021, 04:15

Thank you very much George, Andreas, Adam, and Bonnie! Your words of encouragement mean a lot for an insecure artist. Wink

Bonnie, this ovcharka breed doesn't have a lot of widespread info on it. But my understanding is that generally speaking there are gaurding types (with the more wolfish looking coats, sometimes cropped ears) and shepherding/working types (usually white with patches of color, often docked tails). I will do some brush up research and share some breed history here when I have time. Very Happy

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
Taos

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!    Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!  - Page 4 EmptyWed 14 Apr 2021, 06:58

Great repaints!! Applause Applause Applause
The Ovcharkas are really great.They look similar to the Central Asian Shepherd dog.Like Bonnie says Ovcharkas are an umbrella breed with many sub varieties. Smile A few have become popular here in the UK such as the Caucasian Shepherd dog and the above mentioned Central Asian Shepherd.

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!    Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!  - Page 4 EmptyWed 14 Apr 2021, 07:04

Really interesting, thank you so much Taylor and Paige! cheers Very Happy
Yes, I agree, it definitely seems to be a variable breed without much researched information- probably because lots I'm sure are still working bred! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!    Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!  - Page 4 EmptyWed 14 Apr 2021, 08:16

Very Happy very beautiful repaint Paige, I didn't know this kind of dog nor this species of squirrel but they are very convaincing and I love the new Schleich grey fox! cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!    Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!  - Page 4 EmptyWed 14 Apr 2021, 13:13

Thanks again friends! Its been a good hobby to pick back up.

As for Ovcharkas... it seems to me that this ancient breed has remained fairly dormant in the dog world in terms of development. Various sources (inconsistent with each other) claim to have developed the original breed into X, Y, or Z but they can't all claim the "original". So it seems to me that there are lots of sub breeds or varieties (each based on regional origin and breed intention) but they all are roughly the same dog still (much like the gray wolf actually. Arctic, red, Canadian, Eastern, etc. are all the same thing, just genetic populations with some slight differences and different names). But I hold on to my general statement of before that the overarching concept is this type of mastiff breed was largely developed into working (shepherding) or gaurding physique, and while both can be used for either purpose their looks reflect the intent of breeding. 

This was an interesting website to read.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!    Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!  - Page 4 EmptyWed 14 Apr 2021, 18:46

Saarlooswolfhound wrote:
Thanks again friends! Its been a good hobby to pick back up.

As for Ovcharkas... it seems to me that this ancient breed has remained fairly dormant in the dog world in terms of development. Various sources (inconsistent with each other) claim to have developed the original breed into X, Y, or Z but they can't all claim the "original". So it seems to me that there are lots of sub breeds or varieties (each based on regional origin and breed intention) but they all are roughly the same dog still (much like the gray wolf actually. Arctic, red, Canadian, Eastern, etc. are all the same thing, just genetic populations with some slight differences and different names). But I hold on to my general statement of before that the overarching concept is this type of mastiff breed was largely developed into working (shepherding) or gaurding physique, and while both can be used for either purpose their looks reflect the intent of breeding. 

This was an interesting website to read.
Really interesting, thank you! Yes I definitely agree with you, it seems now that there are many sub-types like you said with the Grey Wolf. And interesting that you would say they are overall divided into Shepherding and Guarding, I'd never heard this before and it's always so useful to learn new things about dogs, especially obscure breeds like these! Very Happy And the website was a fantastic read too! cheers
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!    Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!  - Page 4 EmptyFri 16 Apr 2021, 09:13

Last upload for a while as I am starting the base coat on a new batch of 6 models...

This zebra I bought for my nieces but found out they already it (and my other nieces/and nephews do as well). I wasn't planning on having another extra zebra amd it couldn't pass as another wild donkey species without some heavy modification (at least for my unskilled hands) so...

I present a melanistic zebra. Not my best work (stripes are infuriating, and my shading doesn't come through with all the striping but alas...). The super dark melanism is based off an old blurry photo taken in the 80s(?).

Now, on to much smaller but better things! An emerald toucanet. I wanted to do the yellow browed species but I couldn't find good reference photos online so I had to switch up. A better choice anyway as I love blue. The weather outside is garish clouds between rain spells so you can't see the pink bit of the beak except in the last photo. Smaller models are much harder for me to do but I learned a LOT on this project about the smaller toucan species so it was worth it.

And last, my only other wild canid body I had to paint. Originally a nayab raccoon, however it did not have hands like a raccoon but paws so... a tanuki immediately came to mind. And here we are! A raccoon to a raccoon dog! My proudest model so far I think, I was worried while layering my colors that it wasn't coming out right but as I pushed on it came together. I chose an intermediate coat color (not too black, not too pale bleached either).

Last edited by Saarlooswolfhound on Sun 18 Apr 2021, 13:56; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!    Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!  - Page 4 EmptyFri 16 Apr 2021, 09:40

Very beautiful toucan and raccoon dog! cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
RtasVadumee

RtasVadumee

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!    Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!  - Page 4 EmptyFri 16 Apr 2021, 09:49

Was it really supposed to be a raccoon ?! I works way better as a Tanuki, well done !

Safari 24
Yujin 15
Southlands 12
Mojo 14
Maia&Borges 5
Bullyland 1
Recur 1
Homemade 3
Bootleg 1
Total 582
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!    Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!  - Page 4 EmptyFri 16 Apr 2021, 09:57

Thank you both! Rtas, if you look at my blue group photo at the top of the page you can see the chubby raccoon on the right hand side. I thought about the paws and body shape and felt it was a raccoon dog in the wrong skin. I am glad I set him free. Wink

Last edited by Saarlooswolfhound on Sun 18 Apr 2021, 13:57; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
George

George

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!    Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!  - Page 4 EmptyFri 16 Apr 2021, 10:00

That's a great idea with the zebra, such a good way to 'use up' the accidental extra model in an interesting way. There's so many strange and fascinating variations on the typical zebra pattern, I like the odd blotchy-looking ones as well as the spotting style you've done here, and the ones which have such little white pattern at all it's like they've rolled in a big puddle of black stuff Laughing

This one is handsome in an un-pretty way!

The blobs in stripes, I do some identifying species on conservation camera traps, and have seen a few zebras with markings like this, I wish I'd collected screenshots of them all, now!

Bonnie

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!    Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!  - Page 4 EmptyFri 16 Apr 2021, 20:04

Three beautiful models again, such an unusual idea for the zebra but perfect to give him a new lease of life! cheers I just love the colours on the tiny toucanet, you have painted them so well for such a small model! Applause And wow, the Raccoon Dog!!! This is definitely your best so far, so many beautiful shades of brown, and painted so realistically, whilst still bringing out the texture of the fur! cheers
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!    Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!  - Page 4 EmptySat 17 Apr 2021, 01:35

Thank you both! 

George, the first link you shared was very nearly the reference I went with. And I totally agree, handsome in an unpretty way! Wink I decided to go with the darkest type because I thought it would contrast better with my other zebras but again this model ended up a bit different than I had hoped. It may be one I revisit later.

And Bonnie, thank you for your words as always! I truly do think the raccoon dog is my best work yet, but I am sad because it was my last wild canid to paint... but I do have several dogs to do so... Wink

Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!    Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!  - Page 4 EmptySat 17 Apr 2021, 02:08

Saarlooswolfhound wrote:
Thank you both! 

George, the first link you shared was very nearly the reference I went with. And I totally agree, handsome in an unpretty way! Wink I decided to go with the darkest type because I thought it would contrast better with my other zebras but again this model ended up a bit different than I had hoped. It may be one I revisit later.

And Bonnie, thank you for your words as always! I truly do think the raccoon dog is my best work yet, but I am sad because it was my last wild canid to paint... but I do have several dogs to do so... Wink
Oh no, the last wild canid, but a perfect one to end on! But knowing you, I'm sure there will be more in the future! bounce
Several more dogs!! That definitely makes up for it, I'm sure these upcoming repaints will make us both very happy! bounce cheers [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!    Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!  - Page 4 EmptySat 17 Apr 2021, 03:42

My favourite is the emerald toucan :)

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!    Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!  - Page 4 EmptySat 17 Apr 2021, 07:30

Thank you Andreas. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Taos

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!    Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!  - Page 4 EmptySun 18 Apr 2021, 05:47

Love the Raccoon dog and the Emerald Toucan,fantastic transformations! Applause Applause Applause

Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!    Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!  - Page 4 EmptySun 18 Apr 2021, 13:23

Thank you Taylor! :)

Back to top Go down
Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!    Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!  - Page 4 EmptySun 18 Apr 2021, 13:31

I love this aspect of the hobby! As a kid I tried painting everything, but now I hesitate because I don't know enough about the models I'd be painting. So I'm really enjoying looking through these galleries.

That said, I love your species choices and your style is really lovely! Real attention to specific details, and what great upcycles of not very impressive models. Your equids were my favorite, I would loooove to have a wild ass/przewalski collection in my life, and you really did them justice.

I also think this is the cutest thing I have seen today, and that's saying a lot, because I work at a zoo, hahaha.

Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!    Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!  - Page 4 EmptySun 18 Apr 2021, 13:39

Oh thank you Jill! Your comments, especially coming from a zoo keeper background, mean a lot!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!    Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!  - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!
Page 4 of 21Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 21  Next