Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!

Go down 
+31
Joliezac
Duck-Anch-Amun
NandO
Shanti
Seeway
Birdsage
Jill
RtasVadumee
George
Loon
Burgerenby
A-J
rogerpgvg
Kikimalou
Farm collector
Ana
Roger
spacelab
Pardofelis
Bonnie
costicuba
Caracal
Advicot
Taos
lucky luke
widukind
pipsxlch
SUSANNE
bmathison1972
landrover
Saarlooswolfhound
35 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16 ... 21  Next
AuthorMessage
Jill

Jill

Country/State : USA

Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!  - Page 12 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!    Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!  - Page 12 EmptySun Jul 11, 2021 9:39 pm

That was a great idea, to use that bear for a sunbear. It definitely looks like one! Great job on some complicated patters, especially on the Aussie. I agree with George, it looks very realistic. I love his bi colored eyes!
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!    Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!  - Page 12 EmptySun Jul 11, 2021 10:06 pm

Thank you Andreas, Ana, Roger, and Jill! sunny cheers

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!    Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!  - Page 12 EmptyWed Jul 14, 2021 6:29 pm

Ok, the next two are projects that didn't quite turn out how I had hoped/were pretty ambitious. I have never sculpted seriously let alone remodelled anything, so it was a challenge especially since it was so small. I decided to share so that other practicing artists can see that it takes time to learn new things. Wink Anyhow, I will just get into it...

This is a model I bought at the dollar store, it had such a cute face. I cleaned up some bad seams and moved to repainting. This model was based on Omo, a real leucistic giraffe. This isn't a 100% faithful, and as I said it isnt't quite how I wanted it but, alas...
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

This started out as a nayab badger. I did some resculpting. I cut off his tail and moved it up to align it better with the spine. I rescultped the ears (so hard), added some clay to the face and shoulders, blunted the nose. And repainted it. It is not a perfect model of one but the intent was a bushdog and was more of a project of fancy to test out my scultping skills.

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous

Last edited by Saarlooswolfhound on Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Birdsage

Birdsage

Country/State : United States/Texas

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!    Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!  - Page 12 EmptyWed Jul 14, 2021 6:30 pm

Very interesting customizations!
I especially like the bush dog!
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!    Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!  - Page 12 EmptyWed Jul 14, 2021 7:07 pm

Birdsage wrote:
Very interesting customizations!
I especially like the bush dog!

Absolutly agree

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!    Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!  - Page 12 EmptyWed Jul 14, 2021 9:59 pm

Beautiful and original ideas for these two models, I love the transformations and I think the results were wonderful! cheers So many clever adjustments to the Bush Dog, and the Giraffe has such a sweet face which fits really well with the lighter colouring! sunny
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!    Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!  - Page 12 EmptyThu Jul 15, 2021 2:41 am

Thank you Birdsage, Andreas, and Bonnie! I am glad you like them.

Back to top Go down
Jill

Jill

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!    Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!  - Page 12 EmptyThu Jul 15, 2021 2:57 am

That's an ambitious step in customizing! Resculpting always sounds scary, especially the cutting off of things. affraid Honestly though if you hadn't told me, I would have believed you that it came that way. The bushdog looks legitimately like something you'd get in a set. Maybe not the most photo-real coat detail, but the elements that a nice miniature would have, like the play visions sets or something! I like how you did a kind of "dry brush" effect over the texture of his coat, to have the darker color on the edges. The leucistic giraffe also looks great! That's a tricky coat to replicate, I imagine. I recognized him, though. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!    Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!  - Page 12 EmptyThu Jul 15, 2021 8:51 am

Oh, I think they are both great! you can be proud of them, wonderful works! I especially love the bushdog Very Happy

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
A-J

A-J

Country/State : The Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!    Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!  - Page 12 EmptyThu Jul 15, 2021 12:00 pm

I think it is really cool that you went for a leucistic giraffe! Since we're talking about practicing and learning new skills I was wondering what you thought was most challenging about painting this particular giraffe and the most interesting thing you learned from painting it was Smile study

Also, I really like the bushdog! I love those kind of transformations cheers. I think you really nailed the colour on this one!

Back to top Go down
https://www.instagram.com/ajs.artistry/
NandO

NandO

Country/State : indonesia

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!    Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!  - Page 12 EmptyThu Jul 15, 2021 12:33 pm

Love the badger Paige!!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!    Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!  - Page 12 EmptyThu Jul 15, 2021 12:33 pm

We're witnessing some unusual transformations on forum. Turning a badger into a bushdog is surely something we wouldn't expect. You're challenging your skills and that is really great! flower

Burgerenby

Country/State : Deutschland

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!    Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!  - Page 12 EmptyThu Jul 15, 2021 1:49 pm

They both turned out quite nicely and making a bush dog is such a great idea.
Back to top Go down
George

George

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!    Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!  - Page 12 EmptyThu Jul 15, 2021 5:37 pm

They both look lovely, how nice that we now have two custom portraits of the exact same giraffe here on STS! And the bush dog looks exactly like he's meant to be, not at all badgery any more.
It's always great when you dare to challenge your own skills, and end up with nice results you'll be happy owning and we all admire too :)

Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!    Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!  - Page 12 EmptyThu Jul 15, 2021 6:00 pm

Thank you Jill, Ana, A-J, Nando, Roger, Burger, and George! I am quite happy with them overall and enjoyed the challenge. My original comment was intended to be a concession that I recognize they are not perfect replications of the individual/species I chose. I am happy to add them to my shelves. I The bushdog especially was fun to do and while there are some innacuracies I had fun and learned some new things!

A-J, the giraffe was a challenge for 2 main reasons. One, zebra stripes and giraffe spots are a patience based pattern to complete and I kept wanting to make it symmetrical but the real animals aren't symmetrical. I just happened to be in a mood where I was being fussy and subconciously was making them sort of symmetrical and would have to make an extra effort to try and make the pattern different, thus I got a little frustrated on this project (surprisingly my quagga was easier to do!). The second challenge was my technique I chose was to paint the spots in a solid color and then "white wash them" with a thin layer of white overlaying the spotted pattern. It has been 100°F+ here and so dry that it made my thin coat of paint dry so fast (even in my air conditioned house) so some of my paint strokes are visible and the general effect just didn't quite turn out how I envisioned. It will be a pattern to revisit and attempt again sometime! Hopefully so I can achieve better results then. Wink

Thank you all for your encouraging comments! I have more tricks up my sleeves to try... I hope to present the last two models within a few days...

Back to top Go down
lucky luke

lucky luke

Country/State : FRANCE Saint-Louis

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!    Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!  - Page 12 EmptyThu Jul 15, 2021 10:44 pm

Very Happy Applause Applause Applause cheers
Back to top Go down
pipsxlch

pipsxlch

Country/State : US/Florida

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!    Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!  - Page 12 EmptyFri Jul 16, 2021 4:50 am

Wow- those are great! Applause I think you did a great job with the bush dog especially, captured it to me!
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!    Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!  - Page 12 EmptyFri Jul 16, 2021 5:26 am

Thanks so much Luke and Kelly!

I am supposed to be preparing for a small trip but as usual I am distracted from packing... I realized I hadn't shared some comparison photos of my customs with their friends! So here are a few since I won't be able to paint for 2 days.

My fringe eared oryx and his other buddies. He scales well with the Papo.

A handful of my sabertooth clan! I didn't realize pink noses were common in my pride.

My new colorful winged additions...

I did blend the sun bears face a bit more since his photoshoot. Aaaand we need more tapir babies!

My one spanish cow alongside her macho boyfriends.

And lastly some dogs. My portrait of Buck with some dog breeds that may or may not have been used to develop his breed. Then my new Aussie with and OLD WingMau pup I repainted and my Kelpie.
A short funny story, when Buck was a puppy I was out walking him (he was so young and still getting used to the leash he was walking ME). I live sort of out on the edge of town and a truck went by and suddenly flipped around on the road to come back to me. Scared me for a moment as we can get some sketchy people doing sketchy things out there sometime... anywho, it was a very nice man who needed to know where I got Buck. I was surprised he recognized the breed! He told me he grew up around Kelpies as his mom bred and trained them. They got a stray Decker rattie when he was a kid and he loved the dog. He hoped someday to breed the two types of dog together as he thought it'd make a stellar working companion. At the time Buck was ripping my button up plaid shirts because the movement was inspiring predator "get the rat" behaviors from him. All I could think of at the time is that the man must be crazy! But who knows, maybe when I am 50 I can buy a new Decker Kelpie from him to be a new friend. Wink My home state of Idaho is famous for another hodgepodge breed that is quite high energy so hopefully a kelpie/rattie mix would be a better temperament.

Back to top Go down
Burgerenby

Burgerenby

Country/State : Deutschland

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!    Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!  - Page 12 EmptyFri Jul 16, 2021 8:33 am

They all fit in so nicely with the rest of your collection.
Your repaint portrait of Buck is also such an eye catcher among your other dogs.
Back to top Go down
Bonnie

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!    Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!  - Page 12 EmptyFri Jul 16, 2021 9:56 am

They all fit in with the others perfectly! cheers
The dogs though, I love that photo, beautiful! Applause Your repaints definitely stand out as some of the best of all the dogs in the photo, and I love the variety of brands and breeds and colours- these dog-filled photos always catch my eye! I also really love how you displayed your beautiful Buck repaint (And seeing him again reminds me of how good it is, he looks almost Japanese in style, something about the way you have applied the colours is so aesthetically pleasing Very Happy), by showing all the breeds thought to have made the Decker around him! It's really interesting to see and would be fun to do with other dog breeds as well- with this visual image in my head I don't think I'll ever forget the breeds that made Buck now! Very Happy
What a funny story, Buck's handsome looks definitely attract lots of fame! Very Happy A Decker Kelpie would be a very interesting crossbreed too! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
RtasVadumee

RtasVadumee

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!    Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!  - Page 12 EmptyFri Jul 16, 2021 10:03 am

Wow, you have the Safari brown pelican...

Safari 24
Yujin 15
Southlands 12
Mojo 14
Maia&Borges 5
Bullyland 1
Recur 1
Homemade 3
Bootleg 1
Total 582
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!    Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!  - Page 12 EmptySat Jul 17, 2021 12:11 am

Thank you Burger and Bonnie. Very Happy since I completed the custom I have noticed one or two things that I missed on Buck's portrait, perhaps will be added later. But I was so satisfied it turned out so well and everyone seemed to like it here! It was one of those projects I was fussy about since it was a replication of my loved boy. Wink

Ben, I got lucky and found the brown pelican in a lot on ebay early this year or late last year. Its quite hard to find but I have seen a few pop up here and there.

Back to top Go down
pipsxlch

pipsxlch

Country/State : US/Florida

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!    Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!  - Page 12 EmptySat Jul 17, 2021 3:58 am

I love all your customs, and Buck Jr. with his family tree! And funny story about the man who recognized a Decker Giant. (When I was a kid our blue merle Aussies were usually called Dalmatians by people around town Rolling Eyes )

Hah, I got that same Wing Mau pup years ago with the intent of customizing it into an Aussie. Never happened and now I'm not sure where it is.
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!    Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!  - Page 12 EmptySat Jul 17, 2021 4:45 am

Thank you Kelly! People are so funny when they guess breeds... often they are so far off! When Pippen, my maltipoo, was alive people always thought he was a Westie, despite looking nothing like one besides being white... But I admit, there are some dogs you see at shelters for instance that look like a dead ringer for one breed but then you test them (and we have discussed at some length the accuracy... Wink ) but they come back as a clever mix! Anywho, if I ever find another WM aussie (or any puppies honestly) I will for sure let people know here. :) They are really nice little models.

And some exciting news! I found a special lot on ebay with a model I really needed for a specific repaint... bounce Once I get it in the mail and check it out in hand I hope to customize it and share it here. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
lucky luke

lucky luke

Country/State : FRANCE Saint-Louis

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!    Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!  - Page 12 EmptySat Jul 17, 2021 7:26 pm

Very Happy Applause cheers Cool new colorful winged additions Cool sunny bounce
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!    Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!  - Page 12 Empty

Back to top Go down

Saarlooswolfhound's custom repaints: 3/23/24 Special update!
Page 12 of 21Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16 ... 21  Next