Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress

Go down 
+11
Caracal
thebritfarmer
A-J
Shanti
Kikimalou
Bonnie
Joliezac
Jill
SUSANNE
George
Ana
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
Caracal

Caracal

Country/State : France

STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress - Page 5 EmptySat May 28, 2022 10:56 pm

Wonderful tigers family! cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress - Page 5 EmptySun May 29, 2022 6:59 pm

A-J wrote:

And the sheepdog [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] drunken don't those dog breeds have the best colours! And you've layed down the base coat really smooth.
I think a reason why the blue merle colour is so attractive, is the contrast between the ochery-orange and the blue-grey. It is like the blue and orange combo (my favourite) that work really well since they are complementary colours, but in dog colour it is like a desaturated version of that combo study

Anyway, I just wanted to put those thoughts out there, I really enjoy contemplating colours Very Happy

---
It's been a bit more quiet this week. How is everyone else doing? I think I will be able to finish mine it time. It's just a bit of a trend with me that I start wel on time but when it's almost done I can keep it standing like that on my desk until the deadline pressure is hitting me Rolling Eyes Also, the last few days have been a bit more busy...

But May is not over yet, we can do it bounce bounce

Thanks so much, A-J! I've been working on the dog a lot today. I decided to add a few layers of pastels as I can't quite get the effect I wanted with paints only. Now the spray is drying. I may be able to finish tomorrow. And if not there is still Tuesday! It seems like I always wait with work until the last minute, oops! Laughing

I agree about the complementary colors, the combination of (somewhat) blueish tones with orangey color looks very attractive. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
thebritfarmer

thebritfarmer

Country/State : Ontario, Canada

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress - Page 5 EmptySun May 29, 2022 7:02 pm

Well Giraffes are not easy to paint and my experiment did not work as planned Sad I am not pleased with the outcome so will refrain from showing.
Back to top Go down
Shanti

Shanti

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress - Page 5 EmptySun May 29, 2022 7:16 pm

Oh no! So sorry [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]!! I don't envy you about your project with the giraffe! But please don't quitt! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
A-J

A-J

Country/State : The Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress - Page 5 EmptySun May 29, 2022 8:46 pm

thebritfarmer wrote:
Well Giraffes are not easy to paint and my experiment did not work as planned Sad I am not pleased with the outcome so will refrain from showing.

I'm sorry to hear that... it's part of experimenting though, so don't give up, find a way to make it work for you! You can do it! cheers

Back to top Go down
https://www.instagram.com/ajs.artistry/
Burgerenby

Burgerenby

Country/State : Deutschland

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress - Page 5 EmptySun May 29, 2022 9:01 pm

Giraffe spots are tricky, no worries there, besides you can always fix it later, even if it means having to start over and overpainting when you feel ready for it.
From what I have seen giraffe spots require some planning, including having to sketch the outlines first with a pencil, a little complicated but worth giving it another shot.
No wonder factories have switched to simply printing these patterns on.
Back to top Go down
sunny

sunny

Country/State : uk

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress - Page 5 EmptySun May 29, 2022 9:23 pm

thebritfarmer wrote:

I did a Britains giraffe last year, in the progress thread you can see all my pics and comments. Perhaps it may inspire or help you ?

Keep going though!! there is no time limit to painting a figure really, and last year many animals were finished in June, so it would be great to see your giraffe.
Back to top Go down
sunny

sunny

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress - Page 5 EmptySun May 29, 2022 9:26 pm

Shanti wrote:
Lovely!! What a gorgeous tiger family!! Very Happy I love you
thank you very much!

Caracal wrote:
Wonderful tigers family! cheers cheers
thank you Alain :)
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress - Page 5 EmptyMon May 30, 2022 9:04 pm

Really great progress everyone! I can't wait to see the end products!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], I am sorry your project didn't turn out how you had hoped. I can speak from experience... I tried a leucistic coat on this giraffe calf last year:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Mine didn't turn out how I had HOPED, but I learned a lot. I plan on attempting it again sometime, and hopefully it will work out better. 

I can also attest that no one here would judge your work! If anything they would have insightful tips to share that you can try next time! I have posted things I knew weren't any good, but no one here has ever made me feel ashamed of trying of something new. I would encourage you to share your work, I for one would bet that you achieved things that I didn't in my model!

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress - Page 5 EmptyMon May 30, 2022 10:11 pm

I'm sorry to hear that it didn't go as you wanted, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. Giraffes spots must be complicated to paint. I have never painted one but just from the look of it, I feel like it must be a difficult kind of pattern. But maybe you could give it another try? sunny

My doggo is nearly finished, I'll share the pictures tomorrow. Smile

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
A-J

A-J

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress - Page 5 EmptyMon May 30, 2022 11:16 pm

I as good as finished my tiger yesterday, but I still need to take proper photos.
I do have this little teaser picture that doesn't display the colours properly at all, but it was fun to take:

Back to top Go down
Burgerenby

Burgerenby

Country/State : Deutschland

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress - Page 5 EmptyMon May 30, 2022 11:43 pm

Love the lighting in this teaser photo, am excited to see it under daylight.
Back to top Go down
Saarlooswolfhound
Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress - Page 5 EmptyTue May 31, 2022 12:03 am

Oh it looks so neat! Can't wait!

-"I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven’t got the guts to bite people themselves."-August Strindberg (However, anyone who knows me knows I love dogs  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
-“We can try to kill all that is native, string it up by its hind legs for all to see, but spirit howls and wildness endures.”-Anonymous
Back to top Go down
https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
thebritfarmer

thebritfarmer

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress - Page 5 EmptyTue May 31, 2022 1:31 am

Well here is the Giraffe I was working on. I was trying to make it similar to Britains rather than being 100 % realistic. I think the tape should have been narrower. I will likely strip the paint an have another go at a later date. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
thebritfarmer

thebritfarmer

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress - Page 5 EmptyTue May 31, 2022 1:32 am

Then I applied the paint, and then remove the tape...........[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
sunny

sunny

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress - Page 5 EmptyTue May 31, 2022 4:08 am

the tiger is looking great @Anne-Joke ! can't wait to see it :)

that's an interesting way to paint your giraffe [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and it reminds me of the batik style of patterns! I really like it :)
Back to top Go down
A.R.Garcia

A.R.Garcia

Country/State : ND/MN, USA

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress - Page 5 EmptyTue May 31, 2022 7:08 pm

Everyone's projects look interesting... I'll have to take more time to look and comment soon. When I began painting my okapi, the paint would not stick properly. I don't have a primer since I had never had an issue with acrylics and any plastic before, but I guess there is a first time for everything. I could not find the right primer locally, and, combined with other distractions, that means I can't use the okapi in time for the end of the month Embarassed . I'm working on a backup, Safari ltd blue jay, that I can maybe finish and post before the end of the day here. Even if that is technically changing figures, I thought it would be in the spirit of the event to try to complete something.

A-J

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress - Page 5 EmptyTue May 31, 2022 7:15 pm

That's so unfortunate Andy... I was looking forward to seeing the okapi coloured since the resculpted part was really well done. I guess I'll have to be a bit more patient than bounce
I hope you will be able to finish the blue jay, I'd say that is in the spirit of the event scratch

Back to top Go down
Shanti

Shanti

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress - Page 5 EmptyTue May 31, 2022 8:30 pm

Ooh, that tiger teaser photo is really teasing!! Shocked Very Happy

Interesting way of painting the giraffe! Would love to see the next steps!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
A.R.Garcia

A.R.Garcia

Country/State : ND/MN, USA

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress - Page 5 EmptyWed Jun 01, 2022 12:33 pm

Here are some of my belated process pics.

First the branch:

Then an initial blue layer- this is the paler blue that will remain showing on the shoulders, neck, and crest:

Eye, beak, and the beginning of the black markings:

Black markings are finished, the brighter blues are blended, with some feather outlines/shading:

The black & white feather markings were the last major step before the final touches:

Shanti

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress - Page 5 EmptySun Jun 05, 2022 3:48 pm

Lovely bird!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5