Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress

Go down 
+11
Caracal
thebritfarmer
A-J
Shanti
Kikimalou
Bonnie
Joliezac
Jill
SUSANNE
George
Ana
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
sunny

sunny

Country/State : uk

STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress - Page 3 EmptySat May 14, 2022 7:04 pm

Shanti wrote:
Wow, very nice progress folks!! Applause Very Happy
I own the sitting tiger too, I know how small it is! Shocked cheers

Still didn't have a chance of starting my project but hopefully there is enough of May left! Laughing

thank you Shanti !

there is no rush, there is plenty of May left! cheers
it is exciting to see everyone's models - I remember last year!
Back to top Go down
sunny

sunny

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress - Page 3 EmptySat May 14, 2022 7:06 pm

George wrote:

Thanks! Although I liked his dark colour well enough, and would probably have kept him original finish if I had an ongoing prehistoric or deer collection to add him to, it just seemed a really good opportunity to play with bringing cave art into a paintjob, not something I've ever had chance to do before. I could do a horse one on a primitive-type mould, though, maybe CollectA's Exmoor or Mongolian would make a good prehistoric Lascaux horse!

I hope you get a chance to do that George, I love those prehistoric horses - I am excited to picture it now :)
Back to top Go down
sunny

sunny

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress - Page 3 EmptySat May 14, 2022 7:12 pm

Jill wrote:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

that is a pretty horse model Jill, and I like how more attractive you have made it now that you have put on an all white coat :)
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress - Page 3 EmptySat May 14, 2022 7:16 pm

Wonderful  job on all the tigers! cheers cheers cheers

I found my victim! Cool
Back to top Go down
Shanti

Shanti

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress - Page 3 EmptySun May 15, 2022 6:33 pm

At last, I started my project!
First I cleaned the model with some dish soap to remove all dirt and grease. After that I looked over it for some seams or rough spots but there were very few. I removed and smoothed everything with tiny files. Than I primed the fox with a brush on primer. When it was dry I started with the pastels and lots of reference photos. Not much yet but it is a start! Very Happy

Back to top Go down
thebritfarmer

thebritfarmer

Country/State : Ontario, Canada

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress - Page 3 EmptySun May 15, 2022 6:48 pm

It looks beautiful so far.
Back to top Go down
Shanti

Shanti

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress - Page 3 EmptySun May 15, 2022 6:50 pm

Thank you! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
A-J

A-J

Country/State : The Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress - Page 3 EmptyMon May 16, 2022 1:30 pm

Looks great already Shanti cheers I love the softness of the pastels. Just a question: did you use double-side tape to stick it on the stick ( clown ) or did you use something else?

Back to top Go down
https://www.instagram.com/ajs.artistry/
Shanti

Shanti

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress - Page 3 EmptyMon May 16, 2022 3:45 pm

Thank A-J😀!
I used a drop of super glue. Hopefully I can remove without lots of damage. 🙃
Back to top Go down
A-J

A-J

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress - Page 3 EmptyMon May 16, 2022 5:05 pm

the first half of the stripes are added cat
(not only to the tiger Razz )

Back to top Go down
A-J

A-J

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress - Page 3 EmptyMon May 16, 2022 5:10 pm

Shanti wrote:
Thank A-J😀!
I used a drop of super glue. Hopefully I can remove without lots of damage. 🙃

I sure hope so too, but is seems very convenient for painting (I have used double sided tape for something similar, but I had to replace the tape after a day or two...)

Back to top Go down
Shanti

Shanti

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress - Page 3 EmptyMon May 16, 2022 5:19 pm

The tiger looks amazing!!! Applause
Back to top Go down
Joliezac

Joliezac

Country/State : New Jersey, USA

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress - Page 3 EmptyMon May 16, 2022 6:35 pm

The fox and tiger look gorgeous so far!

Animal Ark Website
Back to top Go down
https://joliezacc9d79.myportfolio.com/
Caracal

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress - Page 3 EmptyMon May 16, 2022 6:56 pm

Indeed! cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
A.R.Garcia

A.R.Garcia

Country/State : ND/MN, USA

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress - Page 3 EmptyMon May 16, 2022 6:59 pm

The progress pics look nice so far… along with interesting commentary I’ll have to read more carefully. That Megaloceros digital painting is great and would look good printed as an accompaniment to the finished model. I’m happy to see the Funrise horse- I have a set of them from when I was little so it will be special to see this one with custom paint. The rare color is turning out well on the Schleich tiger, and the tiny stripes on the Britains tiger are lovely. The soft colors so far on that fox fit the sculpture really well.

A.R.Garcia

Country/State : ND/MN, USA

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress - Page 3 EmptyMon May 16, 2022 7:17 pm

Here is my progress- no paint yet but the preparation and adjustments are done. I shaved down the seam lines and excess plastic, then decided to cut/reshape the feet a little bit (the original Britains sculpture has better feet, I think). While the hooves of this copy might be good for a different animal, an okapi’s hooves are rather small and unassuming relative to the rest of its body.

For the snout, I decided not to sculpt the protruding tongue. I think my sculpted snout makes the head slightly longer than the original, but I’m satisfied with its accuracy. This is what it looked like after adding the mouth, nose, and a tiny bit on the underside of the jaw:

I decided the face needed to be a little higher or more convex in front of the forehead/eyes leading to the nose, so this is the final result after adding to the top:

Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress - Page 3 EmptyMon May 16, 2022 7:48 pm

You are all so talented !!! affraid

Shanti, what fox model is that ?

Jill

Jill

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress - Page 3 EmptyMon May 16, 2022 10:27 pm

Wow, all of these projects are looking amazing! So many stripes out there!

The blue tiger is GORGEOUS coloration, wow, I cannot wait to see it complete. And the fox, so soft like a watercolor painting come to life right now. Very Happy The sculpting on the okapi face is incredible, so much talent in this thread.

I haven't had a chance to work on this guy in a week, so here is the very first coat of blocking in darks and lights I did last week. A long way to go. Laughing

sunny wrote:

that is a pretty horse model Jill, and I like how more attractive you have made it now that you have put on an all white coat :)
Thank you! It is my hope to bring out the best in these models, which were not given the best of paint jobs but which I think deserve one. :)

A.R.Garcia wrote:
I’m happy to see the Funrise horse- I have a set of them from when I was little so it will be special to see this one with custom paint.
The one I am painting was actually from my childhood, very well loved. I have since found less abused versions of him, and decided to give the old man a new life!
Back to top Go down
Shanti

Shanti

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress - Page 3 EmptyTue May 17, 2022 8:05 am

That Okapi looks wonderful! So beautifully sculpted!!
The grey horse will look stunning, I am sure about that!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]: The fox is a 3D print resin by Nicola Behr (nb-arts.de). It was a bonus figure for a horse resin I bought from her.
Back to top Go down
Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress - Page 3 EmptyTue May 17, 2022 9:56 am

It's great to see so many nice models coming to life with the new colors Very Happy It makes me happy to see all of that cheers

The tiger is just so unique, I'll be so excited to see it finished. And it's getting closer too! bounce
The okapi has the cutest face now, what an improvement! Very Happy
The fox is very beautifully shaded and the grey horse is looking awesome too cheers

Last week I started customizing my dog model (Papo 1/12 Rough Collie to 1/9 Sheltie). Almost all body parts except for paws and tail are resculpted. I added more fur and sculpted a new head. This week I want to start painting. He's already covered in gesso, waiting for the colors Smile I can't choose between tricolor or blue merle  scratch  

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
George

George

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress - Page 3 EmptyTue May 17, 2022 3:57 pm

Ooh, so many projects starting to take shape or progress, the two tiger colours are especially interesting to watch as they fill in and gain their stripes, as it's such a very different take on the same kind of animal - not only the colouration of the coats, but your two different painting styles bringing them to life in different ways.

The fox is adorable, the faint and delicate colour stage right now as the pastels build up looks almost like an art piece which could be finished off with features right now and left looking that beautiful, but I'm looking forward to seeing how the colour carries on deepening with more layers.

The okapi looks greatly improved already, with his new replacement nose and adjusted face, it's amazing how these little basic made-in-china type knockoffs can really come into their own with a little work and careful consideration to tweak what's bad about them and up the realism.

And the dappled grey is going to be lovely, I can already tell from how well you've placed the light and dark parts. Even more special for being your childhood copy given a second life!

Shanti

Shanti

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress - Page 3 EmptyTue May 17, 2022 6:38 pm

Oh Ana, that Shelti looks gorgeous even without colors!! I couldn't chose between your two color suggestions, both would look beautiful on this dog!!Very Happy

Thank you George!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Shanti

Shanti

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress - Page 3 EmptyTue May 17, 2022 6:39 pm

I call my tiny fox finished. I still see many things I could try to do better but before I ruin him I close this chapter. Laughing cyclops

More photos in the "finished" thread.

For painting small parts on such tiny models I use microbrushes. They come in different sizes. Very handy to use!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

For the roaning I use a pencil and colored pencils. The eyes are three colored with tiny tiny brushes.

Back to top Go down
thebritfarmer

thebritfarmer

Country/State : Ontario, Canada

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress - Page 3 EmptyTue May 17, 2022 7:49 pm

Everyone's figures are coming along so nicely! I have the primer and base coat on mine. Now to figure out the spots! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Shanti

Shanti

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress - Page 3 EmptyTue May 17, 2022 7:53 pm

It will look good but a lot of work ahead of you! Very Happy Applause
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next