Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress

Go down 
+11
Caracal
thebritfarmer
A-J
Shanti
Kikimalou
Bonnie
Joliezac
Jill
SUSANNE
George
Ana
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress - Page 2 EmptyThu May 12, 2022 1:05 am

Awesome start A-J! This is such an exciting project! It must be the first reconstruction of such a tiger! Applause

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
Jill

Jill

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress - Page 2 EmptyThu May 12, 2022 1:54 am

The idea of painting a blue tiger is such a cool one, I love the research you're doing. That bobcat is incredible. Shocked The 'maltese' coloration possibility is fascinating, especially because it has virtually no visual record on anything but they think it could have existed (or still exist) in so many species. I'm excited to learn from you and this project. cheers
Back to top Go down
George

George

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress - Page 2 EmptyThu May 12, 2022 3:06 am

I can only echo what the others have said, I'm really interested to see how the paintwork develops, but also intrigued by the colour variation behind it, and how it looks on the other species you've found in pictures. Reading the eyewitness account of the blue tiger sighting, it really does sound something very different to the melanistic examples we've got photos of today, it's a good job he chose the 'blue' term rather than calling it 'black' or 'dark' or something else which would just be assumed as the widened-stripes kind of colouration.

Ana wrote:
Wow, the Irish Elk looks amazing! Beautiful work George! I love the new paintwork, it's so much more beautiful than the OF! I'm also impressed with your digital artwork. And what a great preparation and research for this project! Applause Applause Applause

Thanks! Although I liked his dark colour well enough, and would probably have kept him original finish if I had an ongoing prehistoric or deer collection to add him to, it just seemed a really good opportunity to play with bringing cave art into a paintjob, not something I've ever had chance to do before. I could do a horse one on a primitive-type mould, though, maybe CollectA's Exmoor or Mongolian would make a good prehistoric Lascaux horse!

A-J wrote:
It's looking really good, great work George!  Applause   I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of all it's glory in a nice sunlight

Thank you, glad you like him! I just took some picture of him in the garden when the rain broke into sudden sunshine, so when I've had chance to go through and crop them I'll get his photoshoot uploaded here :)

Shanti

Shanti

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress - Page 2 EmptyThu May 12, 2022 4:29 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]: thank you!! I will look into these colors! I am used to paint with pastels but they have a lot of disadvantages. (Dusty, fixing outdoors during bad weather not possible, not healthy for your respiratory). Do you think Citadel is a better quality than Vallejo paints?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] the Tiger looks awesome already!! Nice progress!!
Back to top Go down
George

George

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress - Page 2 EmptyThu May 12, 2022 4:42 am

I wouldn't say quality, just the fact they suit me so well. I like paints to be all sticky and smudgey, and spread out super-thin blended layers by a sort of rubbing/scrubbing motion, with not much paint dipped on the end of a certain kind of compact-packed silky-bristled synthetic brush. Other people probably like a more liquid paint which can be brushed on smoothly in thicker coats, or thinned like watercolour and layered with a really fluid motion.
Vallejo for me were just too flowing and non-sticky, which with my application technique made them streaky and difficult to get even coverage or blending at all. In fact, it was so bad I gave away the one colour I'd bought to try out, cos it just wasn't working for me and I knew somebody who liked them Laughing
So I find it totally depends on how I like to apply the paint, rather than a ranking of exact quality, or popularity of brands.

Shanti

Shanti

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress - Page 2 EmptyThu May 12, 2022 5:14 am

Thank you for your rating! I have a few bottles of vallejo but used them just for small details. Maybe I will try the Citadels and compare them with the Vallejo paint. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
thebritfarmer

thebritfarmer

Country/State : Ontario, Canada

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress - Page 2 EmptyThu May 12, 2022 5:43 am

I think I may try some Citadel paints also. Currently I am using Tamiya and they give a nice finish for a brush on paint. I also have a couple bottles of Vallejo.
Back to top Go down
thebritfarmer

thebritfarmer

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress - Page 2 EmptyThu May 12, 2022 11:38 am

I was able to prime the Giraffe today. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Shanti

Shanti

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress - Page 2 EmptyFri May 13, 2022 1:03 am

The giraffe will look awesome with new paint!
Back to top Go down
A-J

A-J

Country/State : The Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress - Page 2 EmptyFri May 13, 2022 1:26 am

great start in the giraffe cheers

Back to top Go down
https://www.instagram.com/ajs.artistry/
Jill

Jill

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress - Page 2 EmptyFri May 13, 2022 1:56 am

The giraffe seems like a very ambitious project, I can't wait to see it finished!
Back to top Go down
A-J

A-J

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress - Page 2 EmptyFri May 13, 2022 4:11 am

I have started building up the colours of my tiger. First I added in the base where the lighter blue/grey colours will go.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

and then I focused more on the texture

I even mixed in some real blue paint in the grey mixture, since I felt like I had too Very Happy  And it was a fun to see what it did to the the tiger model.

There's still a long way to go, and I want the sides to be lighter still study, but I'm getting there :)

Back to top Go down
Joliezac

Joliezac

Country/State : New Jersey, USA

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress - Page 2 EmptyFri May 13, 2022 4:21 am

Looks beautiful so far!

Animal Ark Website
Back to top Go down
https://joliezacc9d79.myportfolio.com/
Shanti

Shanti

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress - Page 2 EmptyFri May 13, 2022 5:02 am

Wow!! A-J! The tiger is coming along beautifully!
Back to top Go down
sunny

sunny

Country/State : uk

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress - Page 2 EmptySat May 14, 2022 4:40 pm

some photos of my tiger progress

original tigers (Britains)

I am using Pebeo paints for the first time and it's been interesting !
My white paint is a mix of Pebeo and normal interior house paint Very Happy I mixed them together as the Pebeo was too transparent for a base coat.

(I like to paint in batches Shocked  Laughing  )

I had to mix a few colours together to get the orangey coat I liked

and the other side

the family together
the cubs have only had a single light coat at the moment
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

Country/State : France

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress - Page 2 EmptySun May 15, 2022 1:27 am

Very well gone! cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
thebritfarmer

thebritfarmer

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress - Page 2 EmptySun May 15, 2022 2:47 am

This looks very good so far!
Back to top Go down
A-J

A-J

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress - Page 2 EmptySun May 15, 2022 3:48 am

They're starting to look like a nice little family Sunny, cheers and that is quite some batch you're painting there Shocked

I've added more highlights/lighter shades to my tiger. I even did some hair by hair painting, but I'm happy so far. I think I will go for a similar colour to the blue bobcat rather than going for a true blue colour like some of the sighting reports claim to have seen.

And thanks Jolie and Shanti for you kind comments :)

Back to top Go down
sunny

sunny

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress - Page 2 EmptySun May 15, 2022 4:47 am

I did some details on the sitting tiger's face. This is a 1/32nd scale model (quite small :) so there is a pencil in the photo for scale
I am doing a Bengal tiger coat pattern for this family

Back to top Go down
sunny

sunny

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress - Page 2 EmptySun May 15, 2022 4:50 am

A-J wrote:
They're starting to look like a nice little family Sunny, cheers and that is quite some batch you're painting there Shocked

I've added more highlights/lighter shades to my tiger. I even did some hair by hair painting, but I'm happy so far. I think I will go for a similar colour to the blue bobcat rather than going for a true blue colour like some of the sighting reports claim to have seen.

thank you Anne-Joke! I will see how they turn out :) they are quite small Wink

your tiger is looking very beautiful! I can see some lovely highlights on the face area!
Back to top Go down
Shanti

Shanti

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress - Page 2 EmptySun May 15, 2022 4:54 am

Wow, very nice progress folks!! Applause Very Happy
I own the sitting tiger too, I know how small it is! Shocked cheers

Still didn't have a chance of starting my project but hopefully there is enough of May left! Laughing
Back to top Go down
thebritfarmer

thebritfarmer

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress - Page 2 EmptySun May 15, 2022 5:00 am

A-J wrote:

very nice so far looking forward to seeing it develop.
Back to top Go down
thebritfarmer

thebritfarmer

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress - Page 2 EmptySun May 15, 2022 5:02 am

sunny wrote:
I did some details on the sitting tiger's face. This is a 1/32nd scale model (quite small :) so there is a pencil in the photo for scale
I am doing a Bengal tiger coat pattern for this family

These are looking very nice! I wonder if for the stripes a black paint pen may work better? I may try that. Will you be showing us the other projects you are working on? I would love to see them.
Back to top Go down
sunny

sunny

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress - Page 2 EmptySun May 15, 2022 5:55 am

thebritfarmer wrote:

These are looking very nice! I wonder if for the stripes a black paint pen may work better? I may try that. Will you be showing us the other projects you are working on? I would love to see them.

thank you very much. I prefer to use a fine paintbrush and paint for the stripes as it adds a lot of nuances that a pen can't give.
Those other models will go into my personal thread on the Collections section when I get time.
Back to top Go down
sunny

sunny

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress - Page 2 EmptySun May 15, 2022 6:01 am

last 2 pics for today cyclops albino

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress   STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

STS Model Painting Month 2022 - Works in Progress
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next