Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

do figures lose their value if mended/fixed/retouched?

Go down 
+3
widukind
SUSANNE
sauroid
7 posters
AuthorMessage
sauroid

sauroid

Country/State : usa

do figures lose their value if mended/fixed/retouched? Empty
PostSubject: do figures lose their value if mended/fixed/retouched?   do figures lose their value if mended/fixed/retouched? EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 1:20 pm

do figures lose their value if mended/fixed/retouched even if the outcome turns out to be not obviously fixed at all?
couple of examples of figures with minor flaws:
1. if i mend a figure with a pen mark on one foot, and paint over it (same color)
2. or i paint a faded/rubbed nose with same paint color

what is the best paint to use when retouching?
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: do figures lose their value if mended/fixed/retouched?   do figures lose their value if mended/fixed/retouched? EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 5:40 pm

I would NEVER buy a mended model ! Shocked
I much prefer it scratched and original Wink

Once I got one, I got very angry. It is not an original model any more What a Face

If you see around you all antiques drop dramaticly in value if they have been "repaired", and it is fraud to sell them as if they were not Wink

PS, of course it is another matter if a very old, rare model is completely damaged,. and then nicely repaired ( like we see with some old lineols). If they are sold as restored models, it is fine, of course Very Happy

widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: do figures lose their value if mended/fixed/retouched?   do figures lose their value if mended/fixed/retouched? EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 5:52 pm

SUSANNE wrote:
I would NEVER buy a mended model ! Shocked
I much prefer it scratched and original Wink

Once I got one, I got very angry. It is not an original model any more What a Face

If you see around you all antiques drop dramaticly in value if they have been "repaired", and it is fraud to sell them as if they were not Wink

PS, of course it is another matter if a very old, rare model is completely damaged,. and then nicely repaired ( like we see with some old lineols). If they are sold as restored models, it is fine, of course Very Happy

I agree and i not agree. I would all this accept from a professionel seller. But in the past i bought some fossil, that was terrible Sad

STS members can merge Very Happy

sunny Andreas sunny
Back to top Go down
∴Worlds∴in∴Miniature∴

∴Worlds∴in∴Miniature∴

Country/State : Switzerland

PostSubject: Re: do figures lose their value if mended/fixed/retouched?   do figures lose their value if mended/fixed/retouched? EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 1:18 pm

Some people may like restored models but personally I want all my models to be in ther "original" conditions (in fact, ideally I only collect figures in mint conditions).

That because I regard small differences in colour and design as variants.
Back to top Go down
tyrantqueen

tyrantqueen

Country/State : England, UK

PostSubject: Re: do figures lose their value if mended/fixed/retouched?   do figures lose their value if mended/fixed/retouched? EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 6:04 am

I think they do, yes. Ideally, collectors would prefer a mint, perfect model complete with tags.

Heh, I never bought into that mentality. I prefer to customise and repaint my models so that they're my own.
Back to top Go down
sauroid

sauroid

Country/State : usa

PostSubject: Re: do figures lose their value if mended/fixed/retouched?   do figures lose their value if mended/fixed/retouched? EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 8:58 am

great opinions everyone. i asked because one of the used figures i got has a pen mark on one of its paws and i cant seem to erase it totally. and the only way i'd feel "at peace" is if i could mend/paint over it with permanent paint of the same color as the figure (white). any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by sauroid on Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Bloodrayne

Bloodrayne

Country/State : Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: do figures lose their value if mended/fixed/retouched?   do figures lose their value if mended/fixed/retouched? EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 2:20 pm

Personally I use acrylic paints you can find in any hobbyshop.
The paint is waterbased so you can easily clean your brushes afterwards.

For just a little penmark I would just apply a couple of thin coats of paint and leave it to dry.

The problem you can find with painting plastic figures is that they have this protective coating,
so when kids play with them they don't get too easily scratched.
This coating sometimes makes it hard for the acrylic paint to stick.
This can easily be solved by firmly cleaning your figure first with some warm water and soap and a toothbrush.
But I would only recommend this if you are going to completely repaint the whole figure and reapply a new coating (varnish) afterwards.
Back to top Go down
tyrantqueen

tyrantqueen

Country/State : England, UK

PostSubject: Re: do figures lose their value if mended/fixed/retouched?   do figures lose their value if mended/fixed/retouched? EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 8:06 pm

Bloodrayne wrote:
Personally I use acrylic paints you can find in any hobbyshop.
The paint is waterbased so you can easily clean your brushes afterwards.

For just a little penmark I would just apply a couple of thin coats of paint and leave it to dry.

The problem you can find with painting plastic figures is that they have this protective coating,
so when kids play with them they don't get too easily scratched.
This coating sometimes makes it hard for the acrylic paint to stick.
This can easily be solved by firmly cleaning your figure first with some warm water and soap and a toothbrush.
But I would only recommend this if you are going to completely repaint the whole figure and reapply a new coating (varnish) afterwards.

That's why I like to use primer/gesso to help the paint stick to my models. But, I ever haven't actually had the problem of paint not sticking when I don't prime them.

Sauroid, I would recommend acrylic too. The only hard part is going to be finding the exact shade of the model scratch
Back to top Go down
Cyhyraeth

Cyhyraeth

Country/State : Russian Federation

PostSubject: Re: do figures lose their value if mended/fixed/retouched?   do figures lose their value if mended/fixed/retouched? EmptySat May 18, 2013 9:10 am

I quite agree with Susanne, I prefer to buy models in OF, even though they might be having some scratches and flaws.
As for the restored figures- well, if a seller mentions this, it's not that terrible) Once I bought a plastic horse that had renewed hooves, and if the seller didn't mention it- I would never notice, really. The paintjob was really exellent.

But I think that such minor mrnding may go as a light customizing and counted in the same way.

PostSubject: Re: do figures lose their value if mended/fixed/retouched?   do figures lose their value if mended/fixed/retouched? Empty

Back to top Go down

do figures lose their value if mended/fixed/retouched?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
STS Forum  :: Collections and collecting :: Collector's life-
Jump to: