Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Would you change something if you dont like the origin condition on a brand animal?

Go down 
+7
sauroid
Saarlooswolfhound
Bloodrayne
jarda
koniminiatures
Cyhyraeth
widukind
11 posters
AuthorMessage
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

Would you change something if you dont like the origin condition on a brand animal? Empty
PostSubject: Would you change something if you dont like the origin condition on a brand animal?   Would you change something if you dont like the origin condition on a brand animal? EmptyThu Jul 11, 2013 7:06 pm

I know this questions is a little be irritated, but i dont mind custom animals.

My problem is:

Today i got some new Kitan model and i like them very much. But they have a little coupler that you can stick this pieces together. This couplers are really small and i conside if i cut this that i only have the animal without the them. The couplers are on good places (end of the fins) so that this after a cut would be invisible. But the figurines will be after the cut not in the origin condition and that will be also for ever.

What you think????? Would you do that???

STS members can merge Very Happy

sunny Andreas sunny
Back to top Go down
Cyhyraeth

Cyhyraeth

Country/State : Russian Federation

Would you change something if you dont like the origin condition on a brand animal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Would you change something if you dont like the origin condition on a brand animal?   Would you change something if you dont like the origin condition on a brand animal? EmptyThu Jul 11, 2013 9:01 pm

As you may see from my collection, I don't mind customizing them when nesessary:) When the model has some small flaws and scratches, and I may hide them with pastels for ex- I'll do it without any hesitation.

koniminiatures

Country/State : Finland

PostSubject: Re: Would you change something if you dont like the origin condition on a brand animal?   Would you change something if you dont like the origin condition on a brand animal? EmptyThu Jul 11, 2013 11:19 pm

Why not? Especially if you don't mind their resale value dropping in the eyes of some strictly original finish collectors, and you find the trim would benefit the models.

widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Would you change something if you dont like the origin condition on a brand animal?   Would you change something if you dont like the origin condition on a brand animal? EmptyFri Jul 12, 2013 7:59 am

Many thanks:-)

sunny Andreas sunny
Back to top Go down
jarda

jarda

Country/State : Česká republika

PostSubject: Re: Would you change something if you dont like the origin condition on a brand animal?   Would you change something if you dont like the origin condition on a brand animal? EmptyFri Jul 12, 2013 10:07 am

I think You should define some criteria for your collection. For example, I never collect any custom-made animals and repaints (when I saw here some figures made by STS members, I was often tempted to revocate these criteria...) but when I receive damaged rare figure or rare figure with missing part, I usually try to fix it (e.g. Jeol lioness or Jeol male elephant perfectly restored by Harriet). I registered that You in some cases remove the base from the figures (e.g. Bandai birds) - at least for your addition photos. If You have no plans for trade or sell these figures in the future and if is such change (cutting off the couplers) convenient for your displaying purposes, I think this is OK - it is YOUR collection and YOUR criteria.
Back to top Go down
Bloodrayne

Bloodrayne

Country/State : Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: Would you change something if you dont like the origin condition on a brand animal?   Would you change something if you dont like the origin condition on a brand animal? EmptyFri Jul 12, 2013 3:57 pm

I buy my animals for me.
And I have no intention of ever selling them again.
Therefor, if something isn't to my liking on an animal figure, I will not hesitate to make it look perfect.
(Perfect for me that is.)

Saarlooswolfhound

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Would you change something if you dont like the origin condition on a brand animal?   Would you change something if you dont like the origin condition on a brand animal? EmptyFri Jul 12, 2013 5:02 pm

I agree with what has already been said here. If you want to "fix" it to your liking go ahead. It is your collection, and unless you plan on selling it sometime (which I doubt many others on here intend to do so either) I would not hesitate in altering it.

https://thecuriouscompendium.wixsite.com/curiouscompendium
widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Would you change something if you dont like the origin condition on a brand animal?   Would you change something if you dont like the origin condition on a brand animal? EmptyFri Jul 12, 2013 5:36 pm

Okay, that helps me a lot sunny sunny sunny sunny 

sunny Andreas sunny
Back to top Go down
sauroid

sauroid

Country/State : usa

PostSubject: minor paint retouch   Would you change something if you dont like the origin condition on a brand animal? EmptySun Aug 18, 2013 8:24 pm

is minor paint retouch on rubbed/paint-worn figures acceptable in the world of collecting? i want to hear all your opinions. thanks.
Back to top Go down
Florian

Florian

Country/State : Belgium , Plateau de Herve

PostSubject: Re: Would you change something if you dont like the origin condition on a brand animal?   Would you change something if you dont like the origin condition on a brand animal? EmptySun Aug 18, 2013 9:19 pm

Yes, I think yes if the painting is really good and with the really adapted color.

widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Would you change something if you dont like the origin condition on a brand animal?   Would you change something if you dont like the origin condition on a brand animal? EmptySun Aug 18, 2013 11:50 pm

Its your collection for yourself, all is allowed what you accept:-)

sunny Andreas sunny
Back to top Go down
scot(t)

scot(t)

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Would you change something if you dont like the origin condition on a brand animal?   Would you change something if you dont like the origin condition on a brand animal? EmptyMon Aug 19, 2013 12:33 am

If you're trying to insure that the resale value of the figure is maintained, then I would not retouch the figure. For example, there are several rubs on my Schleich Oryx. Since the figure is valuable -- despite the fact that I doubt I'll ever sell it -- I won't touch up the model. But I've acquired figures that I know I will never sell and I've touched up a small rub that irritated me. If I ever were to sell or pass along that item, I take great pains to report each rub that has been touched up. And I would be distressed if I bought a collectors item (some Schleich for example) and discovered that someone had touched up rubs with paint or markers. These are of course just my own views about how I treat my own models. Andreas' point seems exactly right to me: whatever you want to do to items in your collection is your business.
Back to top Go down
sauroid

sauroid

Country/State : usa

PostSubject: Re: Would you change something if you dont like the origin condition on a brand animal?   Would you change something if you dont like the origin condition on a brand animal? EmptyMon Aug 19, 2013 7:25 am

great inputs everyone.
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Would you change something if you dont like the origin condition on a brand animal?   Would you change something if you dont like the origin condition on a brand animal? EmptyMon Aug 19, 2013 8:59 am

I agree  with Scott Wink 

Personally I never make touc-ups.
If it is a played-with model it is part of the charm of that specific model.
If it is a brand-new model, it is just darned annoying, but a touch-up would make it even worse IMHO Very Happy

LeeAnn

LeeAnn

Country/State : United States

PostSubject: Re: Would you change something if you dont like the origin condition on a brand animal?   Would you change something if you dont like the origin condition on a brand animal? EmptyMon Aug 19, 2013 3:14 pm

scot(t) wrote:
If you're trying to insure that the resale value of the figure is maintained, then I would not retouch the figure. For example, there are several rubs on my Schleich Oryx. Since the figure is valuable -- despite the fact that I doubt I'll ever sell it -- I won't  touch up the model. But I've acquired figures that I know I will never sell and I've touched up a small rub that irritated me. If I ever were to sell or pass along that item, I take great pains to report each rub that has been touched up. And I would be distressed if I bought a collectors item (some Schleich for example) and discovered that someone had touched up rubs with paint or markers. These are of course just my own views about how I treat my own models. Andreas' point seems exactly right to me: whatever you want to do to items in your collection is your business.
Applause Applause 
I completely agree. Even if I doubt I'll ever sell, I still won't touch up any figures. But one can do with their collection what they wish. :) 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Would you change something if you dont like the origin condition on a brand animal?   Would you change something if you dont like the origin condition on a brand animal? Empty

Back to top Go down

Would you change something if you dont like the origin condition on a brand animal?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
STS Forum  :: Collections and collecting :: Collector's life-
Jump to: