Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Pleisto.. scenes!

Go down 
+25
Gecko08
George
Saarlooswolfhound
Ana
Komodo
Max
Liiolii
Bonnie
spacelab
rogerpgvg
costicuba
Henricuz
Advicot
CWGross
Kikimalou
Shanti
pipsxlch
1claire
bmathison1972
Pardofelis
widukind
landrover
SUSANNE
Taos
Roger
29 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10 ... 16  Next
AuthorMessage
Caracal

Caracal

Country/State : France

Pleisto.. scenes!  - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pleisto.. scenes!    Pleisto.. scenes!  - Page 5 EmptySun Apr 19, 2020 11:20 am

Thank you Henri!.. you just have to wander in that thread " Dioramas and outdoor photos"! You will find: Plio-scenes, Mio-scenes, Oligo-scenes, Eo-scenes, African fauna, South east Asia fauna, far east fauna, North american fauna, into Amazonia, on the roof of the world, Old Europa.. :)
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: Pleisto.. scenes!    Pleisto.. scenes!  - Page 5 EmptyFri May 01, 2020 9:42 pm

Megaceros (= giant horns) from Starlux. Its scientific name is "Megaloceros giganteus"

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

It lived during Pleistocen in North Asia and Europe in open areas, and disapeared with the forests come-back when climat began to be less cold and dry but some survived in Oural mountains until Neolithic period. It was a large animal (2m at shoulder) with impressive antlers.

Another male is approaching  the herd, close, too close!.. (Starlux fallow toes)

.. the two males are looking each over up and down..

..but the newcomer does'nt feel strong enough and prefer to leave under the vigiland watch of its opponent!

I think this figurine, in spite of its lack of accuracy, is one of the best from Mr Massat, the Starlux brand sculptor, who was apparently more inspired by Ongulates than by carnivores! Its choice of colour and pattern seems judicious since Megaceros is supposed to have been geneticaly closer to fallows deers than to others deers and it's why I used fallow toes for the harem!

It remained a very long time the unique replica I knew of this splendid animal until production ten years ago, of another one from Bullyland. I saw on TAW there is another one from Geoworld I did'nt know. This year maybe, we shall have opportunity to get the wonderful one from Papo!

Last edited by Caracal on Sat May 02, 2020 11:37 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
widukind

widukind

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Pleisto.. scenes!    Pleisto.. scenes!  - Page 5 EmptyFri May 01, 2020 10:11 pm

wonderful

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Pleisto.. scenes!    Pleisto.. scenes!  - Page 5 EmptySat May 02, 2020 2:09 am

It is not only your sceneries and great photographic skills that turn these topics so interesting. Also your additional information, always very interesting and even the way you customize or just reuse your figures as you did in a very clever way with these fallow does. cheers

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: Pleisto.. scenes!    Pleisto.. scenes!  - Page 5 EmptySat May 02, 2020 11:38 pm

Thank you Andreas and Rogério! :)
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: Pleisto.. scenes!    Pleisto.. scenes!  - Page 5 EmptyMon May 04, 2020 10:13 pm

mammoth from Starlux (Mammuthus primigenus) also called wooly mammoth:

This figurine has been released in 1968 or 1969, it is the first model from Starlux.

This little Wooly mammoth (2,5m /3 m at shoulder) was living in open landscapes during the last ice age. It was very well adapted to coldness.

It disapeared far later than once supposed, only 4000 years ago, in Wrangler island, and so it's as historic as prehistoric!

This replica, with its tusks in the wrong vertical orientation,  is the reflect of main representation stream from its time. Maybe, like many illustrators, Mr Massat Copied the numerous paintings let by Magdalenian artists in caves. But these latters, to show the tusks curvature, had no other way that to draw them in vertical orientation! Later, when reconstructions were made from skeletons in museums, others more realistic and accurate versions were made.. So yet, this replica is a good evidence of the common representations of this animal until seventies.

Starlux brand is not the first historical brand to have produiced a mammoth. Some had been produiced before during the fiveties by Marx, Elastolin, Chialu or Neoform and many have been produiced, since, by all the modern brands for mammoth is a star among  Prehistoric animals!

Last edited by Caracal on Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Pleisto.. scenes!    Pleisto.. scenes!  - Page 5 EmptyMon May 04, 2020 11:54 pm

I love the "antique" touch of these pictures. Mammoth is defintely the star among prehistoric mammals, smilodon is a close competitor but the king is still the wooly mamoth. Great effect giving to these a historical atmosphere, it is like seeing old pictures of some of my predecessors. cheers

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: Pleisto.. scenes!    Pleisto.. scenes!  - Page 5 EmptyTue May 05, 2020 12:23 am

Thank you Rogério! :)
Back to top Go down
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Pleisto.. scenes!    Pleisto.. scenes!  - Page 5 EmptyTue May 05, 2020 8:22 am

This is absolutely wonderful cheers

Interesting information about the tusks of the mammoth in the models .... isn't it thought provoking that even when I was a teenager, we knew so little about prehistoric animals Laughing

widukind

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Pleisto.. scenes!    Pleisto.. scenes!  - Page 5 EmptyTue May 05, 2020 9:55 am

Nice mammoths

STS members can merge [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Andreas [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: Pleisto.. scenes!    Pleisto.. scenes!  - Page 5 EmptyTue May 05, 2020 11:15 am

Thank you Susanne and Andreas! :)
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: Pleisto.. scenes!    Pleisto.. scenes!  - Page 5 EmptyTue May 05, 2020 11:24 pm

Starlux mammoth 2nd version (1975 or 76 or 77?)

..the tusks are correctly oriented, the faty humpshoulder is visible, the legs are less thick, it's covered by  longer and darker fur and it shows a more natural walking attitude.
 When I got it in 1977, I was very surprise by its appearance for it was so different from all I had seen until there!.. But about 10 years after, when british brand "Invicta" produiced its mammoth model from its "British Museum" line, it was so like looking, that I incorporated it in my Starlux herd!..

..where it's still living!.. will you find it?.. :)

..and here with Starlux mammoth hunters:

Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Pleisto.. scenes!    Pleisto.. scenes!  - Page 5 EmptyWed May 06, 2020 1:56 am

Fabulous, Alain! elephant The British soldier is the one closest to the top right corner of the picture. He drives using the right leg while French soldiers use the left leg. Better to use it right than what's left. That first picture is quite impressive! We only have one of the mammoths on TAW, could you please provide a picture of the model that is missing? Very Happy

widukind

PostSubject: Re: Pleisto.. scenes!    Pleisto.. scenes!  - Page 5 EmptyWed May 06, 2020 5:22 am

10000 B. C.

Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: Pleisto.. scenes!    Pleisto.. scenes!  - Page 5 EmptyWed May 06, 2020 10:44 am

cheers Congrats Rogério, you found it!..

..  and OK for the picture of the oldie.. :)

Andreas, I saw this movie with far too big mammoths used in desert to build pyramids!  Laughing   :)

Last edited by Caracal on Wed May 06, 2020 12:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Advicot

Advicot

Country/State : A farm in Britiain

PostSubject: Re: Pleisto.. scenes!    Pleisto.. scenes!  - Page 5 EmptyWed May 06, 2020 11:38 am

Very lovely scenes

"Our planet is in crisis. The monster of this earth, is not a tiger nor a lion or shark. It's us we've destroyed the planet." (My own quote)
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: Pleisto.. scenes!    Pleisto.. scenes!  - Page 5 EmptyWed May 06, 2020 12:38 pm

Thank you Adam! :)
Back to top Go down
costicuba

costicuba

Country/State : Bulgaria

PostSubject: Re: Pleisto.. scenes!    Pleisto.. scenes!  - Page 5 EmptyWed May 06, 2020 4:17 pm

I love the Invicta mammoth very much.
And on your photos it looks perfect with the Starlux cheers

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: Pleisto.. scenes!    Pleisto.. scenes!  - Page 5 EmptyWed May 06, 2020 5:27 pm

Thank you Kosta! Do you know there is 2 versions of it with different tusks lenght?..
Back to top Go down
costicuba

costicuba

Country/State : Bulgaria

PostSubject: Re: Pleisto.. scenes!    Pleisto.. scenes!  - Page 5 EmptyWed May 06, 2020 5:31 pm

Caracal wrote:
Thank you Kosta! Do you know there is 2 versions of it with different tusks lenght?..

You mean about the Invicta mammoth ?
Or the Starlux .. ?
I only know that the Invicta has painted and unpainted versions ... scratch

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: Pleisto.. scenes!    Pleisto.. scenes!  - Page 5 EmptyWed May 06, 2020 5:50 pm

Aurochs from Starlux, Bos primigenius (= first cattle)

This imposant bovid lived during less cold periods of quaternary ice ages and above all after these latters, during Mesolithic. It roamed the wooden prairies. When the climat was too cold, it went away to South and East, leaving place to its cousin the steppe bison (Bison priscus)

to sculpt this figurine Mr massat said he had been inspired by the " Lascaux cave large bull":

..(here is the replica he himself has offered to the brand boss Mr Beffara)

But you can notice the bison like fur which covers its shoulders although there is none on the model! This defaut reveals the confusion between the 2 bovids until the end of sixties and after! I think Mr Massat has been influenced by many illustrations and representations by these times which made him to add the mane!..

.. and that's why the figurine seems to be an hybrid:

Until recently with the little "Club Earth" one, this Starlux figurine, released in 1968 (maybe before!) was the only one of this imposant bovid.

Last edited by Caracal on Wed May 06, 2020 10:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Caracal

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: Pleisto.. scenes!    Pleisto.. scenes!  - Page 5 EmptyWed May 06, 2020 6:21 pm

costicuba wrote:
Caracal wrote:
Thank you Kosta! Do you know there is 2 versions of it with different tusks lenghts?..

You mean about the Invicta mammoth ?
Or the Starlux .. ?
I only know that the Invicta has painted and unpainted versions ... scratch

Yes I mean about the Invicta one:

Back to top Go down
Advicot

Advicot

Country/State : A farm in Britiain

PostSubject: Re: Pleisto.. scenes!    Pleisto.. scenes!  - Page 5 EmptyWed May 06, 2020 6:38 pm

Very great

"Our planet is in crisis. The monster of this earth, is not a tiger nor a lion or shark. It's us we've destroyed the planet." (My own quote)
Back to top Go down
Roger
Admin
Roger

PostSubject: Re: Pleisto.. scenes!    Pleisto.. scenes!  - Page 5 EmptyWed May 06, 2020 6:52 pm

I love Aurochs and I must show mine. I am sure this could be easily a commercially successful figure. It is also a known animal. Maybe brands avoid it because it is not so distinctive and some surely could end in some farm collections. Though, it is not a problem but one more reason to help sales.
I love your presentation and all the details you mention as it is the fur on shoulders.
There is also the rare Yowie Forgoten Friends Aurochs and I've heard about some transgender Camargue bulls, do you know anything about it? Laughing

Caracal

PostSubject: Re: Pleisto.. scenes!    Pleisto.. scenes!  - Page 5 EmptyWed May 06, 2020 8:58 pm

Aurochs from Yowie?.. never seen them and very interested by any more informations about! Very Happy
..for camargue bulls comingout I think I know them rather well!  Laughing

..  and I'd like to see yours my friend!

Thank you Adam and Rogério! :)

Last edited by Caracal on Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pleisto.. scenes!    Pleisto.. scenes!  - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Pleisto.. scenes!
Page 5 of 16Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10 ... 16  Next