Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Anna's customs and repaints, NEW Irish Sport Horse Mare

Go down 
+20
spacelab
pipsxlch
George
Jill
Burgerenby
Advicot
rogerpgvg
Shanti
A-J
lucky luke
costicuba
Taos
Roger
Saarlooswolfhound
SUSANNE
widukind
Caracal
Kikimalou
Bonnie
Ana
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
Ana

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

Anna's customs and repaints, NEW Irish Sport Horse Mare - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anna's customs and repaints, NEW Irish Sport Horse Mare   Anna's customs and repaints, NEW Irish Sport Horse Mare - Page 7 EmptyThu Dec 09, 2021 2:14 pm

Thanks so much for your words Bonnie, and Christophe Smile
I have the comparison shot for you Very Happy At least she's not as red as this red lego block Laughing
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
Shanti

Shanti

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Anna's customs and repaints, NEW Irish Sport Horse Mare   Anna's customs and repaints, NEW Irish Sport Horse Mare - Page 7 EmptyThu Dec 09, 2021 7:58 pm

Oh wow, this ist tiny! Shocked But so detailed and pretty painted! Wonderful!! cheers I love you
Back to top Go down
Burgerenby

Burgerenby

Country/State : Deutschland

PostSubject: Re: Anna's customs and repaints, NEW Irish Sport Horse Mare   Anna's customs and repaints, NEW Irish Sport Horse Mare - Page 7 EmptySun Dec 12, 2021 12:04 pm

Gosh, so much detail on such a small horse, just mindblowing!
Back to top Go down
Jill

Jill

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Anna's customs and repaints, NEW Irish Sport Horse Mare   Anna's customs and repaints, NEW Irish Sport Horse Mare - Page 7 EmptySun Dec 12, 2021 6:45 pm

I agree, amazing detail on such a tiny thing! The precision really fools the eye into thinking it's much bigger than it is. I think it's a wonderful bay, it makes me think of Sham from the King of the Wind's described color.
Back to top Go down
Ana

Ana

PostSubject: Re: Anna's customs and repaints, NEW Irish Sport Horse Mare   Anna's customs and repaints, NEW Irish Sport Horse Mare - Page 7 EmptyMon Dec 13, 2021 8:02 pm

Thank you all so much for your kind comments! I think the sculpt is really lovely and that made it easy to paint even in small scale Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Ana

Ana

PostSubject: Re: Anna's customs and repaints, NEW Irish Sport Horse Mare   Anna's customs and repaints, NEW Irish Sport Horse Mare - Page 7 EmptyMon Dec 20, 2021 4:17 pm

I have a little update. I finally finished painting my Breyer Stablemates Thoroughbred model. This time it's for my own collection. I like the mold quite a lot and I wanted to practice painting this pattern, so here he is. The color is chestnut with rabicano (aka white ticking) and minimal sabino patterns. Color and pattern are based on a TB yearling from a Japanese Auctions website (name unknown). I named my model Kitsune-Tsuki Smile
I prefer this side

I'm not entirely happy with the pattern on this side but I'll live with it.

Back to top Go down
Joliezac

Joliezac

Country/State : New Jersey, USA

PostSubject: Re: Anna's customs and repaints, NEW Irish Sport Horse Mare   Anna's customs and repaints, NEW Irish Sport Horse Mare - Page 7 EmptyMon Dec 20, 2021 4:24 pm

Wow!! Gorgeous!!

Animal Ark Website
Back to top Go down
https://joliezacc9d79.myportfolio.com/
George

George

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: Anna's customs and repaints, NEW Irish Sport Horse Mare   Anna's customs and repaints, NEW Irish Sport Horse Mare - Page 7 EmptyMon Dec 20, 2021 5:49 pm

Oh, he's lovely! I really like the depth of colour in the chestnut shading, how dark and reddish it goes on his hindquarters especially, it makes him look really vibrant and handsome. The darkening of the tail toward the tip is also a beautiful decision. And the markings, with either the white stockings & blaze or the rabicano roaning it would still be a fantastic paintjob, but to go for both on one model shows your commitment and patience with the detailing. I agree that the side you prefer is his nicest, the ticking looks slightly more subtle, but that's his 'good side' for the mould pose anyway, so he'll look his most gorgeous in photos and on display when he's facing the right way (I hate when the nicest side of the paintjob ends up being the 'back' of the model Laughing )

Bonnie

Bonnie

Country/State : UK

PostSubject: Re: Anna's customs and repaints, NEW Irish Sport Horse Mare   Anna's customs and repaints, NEW Irish Sport Horse Mare - Page 7 EmptyMon Dec 20, 2021 6:08 pm

I love him so much, you have painted him amazingly with your incredible talent! sunny sunny
So many different shades on such a small horse, and it looks so realistic, as though it is real and not painted! cheers cheers Applause
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
rogerpgvg

rogerpgvg

PostSubject: Re: Anna's customs and repaints, NEW Irish Sport Horse Mare   Anna's customs and repaints, NEW Irish Sport Horse Mare - Page 7 EmptyMon Dec 20, 2021 7:06 pm

Stunning!

Ana

PostSubject: Re: Anna's customs and repaints, NEW Irish Sport Horse Mare   Anna's customs and repaints, NEW Irish Sport Horse Mare - Page 7 EmptyTue Dec 21, 2021 12:21 pm

Thank you all for your kind comments! I'm glad you like my little fox Smile

George, yes, I agree it's annoying when the "back" of the model gets the nicer paintwork Smile

Back to top Go down
Burgerenby

Burgerenby

Country/State : Deutschland

PostSubject: Re: Anna's customs and repaints, NEW Irish Sport Horse Mare   Anna's customs and repaints, NEW Irish Sport Horse Mare - Page 7 EmptyFri Dec 24, 2021 11:45 pm

The subtlety of the pattern on this tiny figure is fantastic.
Back to top Go down
Jill

Jill

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Anna's customs and repaints, NEW Irish Sport Horse Mare   Anna's customs and repaints, NEW Irish Sport Horse Mare - Page 7 EmptyFri Dec 24, 2021 11:50 pm

He's beautiful, his face especially is so full of detail and life. Your paint job really accentuated the model, which is a really nice one. All that musculature really shines with the shading of the coat! Gorgeous and difficult pattern you chose, it came out so well, even the side you like less! I love the shape of his blaze on his muzzle, too. Stunning!
Back to top Go down
Ana

Ana

PostSubject: Re: Anna's customs and repaints, NEW Irish Sport Horse Mare   Anna's customs and repaints, NEW Irish Sport Horse Mare - Page 7 EmptyMon Feb 21, 2022 1:47 pm

Thank you so much for your kind comments Jill and Burgerenby! cheers

I'm sorry for the long silence here but I do have some updates today Smile

This month I participate in Namopaimo (National Model Painting month) so I thought I can also share progress pictures here. I chose Pierre (1/9 scale Percheron sculpted by Emilia Kurilla) and the tiny Shire foal model (1/64 scale) by Maggie Bennet as my victims. It's just one more week to go and I don't know if I will be able to finish the big one.

Also, I forgot to share this model I finished painting last month. Capriole was sculpted by Kelly Sealey originally as Lipizzaner (scale 1/24). I chose blue roan with reverse dapples for this model, I based it on one Italian Murghese stallion, so now I consider it a Murghese and called him Azzurro.
Funny thing, I started painting him years ago but I was intimidated by the hair by hair roaning technique and left him on the shelf. I came back to painting him in January this year and finished him in about two weeks.

Back to top Go down
sunny

sunny

Country/State : uk

PostSubject: Re: Anna's customs and repaints, NEW Irish Sport Horse Mare   Anna's customs and repaints, NEW Irish Sport Horse Mare - Page 7 EmptyMon Feb 21, 2022 8:23 pm

beautiful horses Anna! you are very skilled and talented. Pierre has such a soft face with those colours seamlessly blending into each other / fading out. I can feel my hand patting his warm soft skin Very Happy
Superb!
Back to top Go down
Joliezac

Joliezac

Country/State : New Jersey, USA

PostSubject: Re: Anna's customs and repaints, NEW Irish Sport Horse Mare   Anna's customs and repaints, NEW Irish Sport Horse Mare - Page 7 EmptyMon Feb 21, 2022 9:29 pm

Excellent as always! I absolutely love the painting on Azzurro!

Animal Ark Website
Back to top Go down
https://joliezacc9d79.myportfolio.com/
SUSANNE
Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Anna's customs and repaints, NEW Irish Sport Horse Mare   Anna's customs and repaints, NEW Irish Sport Horse Mare - Page 7 EmptyTue Feb 22, 2022 8:37 am

Fabulous repaints as always, Anna cheers

That Azzurro is quite outstanding , both model and paintwork !
I never heard of this breed before Very Happy

Ana

Ana

PostSubject: Re: Anna's customs and repaints, NEW Irish Sport Horse Mare   Anna's customs and repaints, NEW Irish Sport Horse Mare - Page 7 EmptyTue Feb 22, 2022 5:41 pm

Thank you all so much for the lovely comments!! 😄

Susanne, I think this breed is not very widely known. And most of Murgese horses are black rather than roan but this color is allowed too. One of the more famous ones is stallion Carletto, photo below.
Image source [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down
George

George

PostSubject: Re: Anna's customs and repaints, NEW Irish Sport Horse Mare   Anna's customs and repaints, NEW Irish Sport Horse Mare - Page 7 EmptyTue Feb 22, 2022 5:46 pm

Oooh, seeing that real horse really emphasises how well you've nailed that roan and dappled colour, I'm even more impressed than I was before!

The little shire foal is also beautiful, I especially like the pale curly foal coat giving way to the darker adult summer coat in just the right places. My grandparents lived next door to a shire breeder so I saw a lot of foals growing up, it's always really touching to see a foal model which really looks like my old friends at that age!

Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Anna's customs and repaints, NEW Irish Sport Horse Mare   Anna's customs and repaints, NEW Irish Sport Horse Mare - Page 7 EmptyTue Feb 22, 2022 10:52 pm

A blue roan called Azzurro is fun. It is actually very beautiful!!!
Azzurro is like the Portuguese word for blue but it also sounds like "eu zurro" that means "I bray" Laughing
Oh, the advantage of being a TAW editor is that I've heard before about Murgese because I needed to add the Funrise Murgese, from Jill, on TAW.
I hope you can complete your plans on time.

Bonnie

PostSubject: Re: Anna's customs and repaints, NEW Irish Sport Horse Mare   Anna's customs and repaints, NEW Irish Sport Horse Mare - Page 7 EmptyWed Feb 23, 2022 12:39 pm

These are absolutely stunning, your repaints are always so inspiring! cheers cheers That dappled colour is incredibly realistic, and the 1/64 model is so tiny yet you have included as much detail as on a much larger model- amazing!! Shocked Applause And all those shades of brown are blended so smoothly on the 1/9, I love it! cheers Do you use acrylics for painting your models? Very Happy I have been and find them ok, but sometimes quite thick/ clumpy and not the easiest to work with, but maybe I am using the wrong brand! study
Back to top Go down
https://hoarenairne.wixsite.com/dogartist
Taos

Taos

Country/State : W.Sussex,United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Anna's customs and repaints, NEW Irish Sport Horse Mare   Anna's customs and repaints, NEW Irish Sport Horse Mare - Page 7 EmptyWed Feb 23, 2022 9:21 pm

Wonderful models. Applause Applause Applause I knew that the Murghese generally came in black but I got a horse book recently and they described the roan/dappling with an illustration!

Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Anna's customs and repaints, NEW Irish Sport Horse Mare   Anna's customs and repaints, NEW Irish Sport Horse Mare - Page 7 EmptyWed Feb 23, 2022 10:07 pm

Pierre will be a hit, I can't wait to see more pics ! bounce

And Azzuro is the best name to provide to this horse, actually it is the best name to provide to a lot of good things sunny
Back to top Go down
Ana

Ana

PostSubject: Re: Anna's customs and repaints, NEW Irish Sport Horse Mare   Anna's customs and repaints, NEW Irish Sport Horse Mare - Page 7 EmptyThu Feb 24, 2022 10:23 am

Thank you all so much for your comments! It makes me happy to read that you like them! Very Happy I worked on Pierre the last two days and I think I may be able to finish him in February after all (if I don't have one of the possible technical troubles)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] thank you! I'm so happy to hear that the Shire foal looks realistic! That means a lot coming from you! I still need to add details to his eyes, and maybe check if I can improve other details as well.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] I use acrylics and powdered pastels (Panpastel). In general, there are so many brands of acrylics, and each of them produces different qualities that it's hard to tell why your paints were not always nice to work with.
One thing I've learned about paints and pastels over the years is that usually the cheaper brands have less pigment in them, have a lot of fillers and it's a lot harder to paint with them. So, in my opinion, it's better to buy fewer colors of higher quality paints (and mix your colors from the basics) than a lot of cheap brand paints. Also, if your paint is too thick, maybe it's that kind of "heavy body" acrylics, those are nice to paint on canvas, create texture effects, but I don't like them for painting models. Acrylic paints that I like are more fluid. I used to like Vallejo model acrylics, they are quite thin and nicely pigmented, I would still recommend them.
Nowadays I use brands Golden (they have a fluid version, heavy body version, slow drying, super-flat, many kinds of paints and mediums, but this is a really expensive brand) and Liquitex (they have for example very good acrylic ink, some painters love it).

And, about the name Azzurro, admittedly it wasn't my own idea. I've asked my good friend for help because her husband is Italian. So, he came up with the idea and I liked it a lot! Especially good name for a blue roan I thought. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
George

George

PostSubject: Re: Anna's customs and repaints, NEW Irish Sport Horse Mare   Anna's customs and repaints, NEW Irish Sport Horse Mare - Page 7 EmptyThu Feb 24, 2022 11:21 am

Ana wrote:
One thing I've learned about paints and pastels over the years is that usually the cheaper brands have less pigment in them, have a lot of fillers and it's a lot harder to paint with them. So, in my opinion, it's better to buy fewer colors of higher quality paints (and mix your colors from the basics) than a lot of cheap brand paints. Also, if your paint is too thick, maybe it's that kind of "heavy body" acrylics, those are nice to paint on canvas, create texture effects, but I don't like them for painting models.

This, exactly this! Every time I've had painty discussions with people trying to get into customising and struggling with making their paints play nicely, I've had to recommend spending a bit more and resigning yourself to getting less paint for your money. You really do need paints formulated and designed for models or miniatures, rather than art or craft shop acrylics which you'd use for painting on canvas or other large flat surfaces.

Expensive paint doesn't make good painters, it's not that. But wrong paints cause frustrated painters with poor results, while right paints make it easier to get good results and improve your skills. Once you find the paint brand that suits the way you want to paint, you're halfway there.

But you do need to experiment to find that perfect fit. What one person swears by, another will find impossible and infuriating and avoid forever afterwards (for example, me and my three best model-horse-painting friends of fifteen years, each perfectly competent with our own customs, have ended up with such distinct preferences that we couldn't manage a decent horse with each other's materials if we tried!)

I wrote about my own paint choices here - it's Games Workshop 'layer' range, if you don't want to read the full rambling Laughing

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anna's customs and repaints, NEW Irish Sport Horse Mare   Anna's customs and repaints, NEW Irish Sport Horse Mare - Page 7 Empty

Back to top Go down

Anna's customs and repaints, NEW Irish Sport Horse Mare
Page 7 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next