Forum dedicated to collectors of animal toy replicas

Toy Animal WikiToy Animal Wiki  HomeHome  Latest Topics  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Debate: Papo vs. Schleich

Go down 
+56
Gwaine
barracudacat
Tupolew Tu-154
Iuri97
NightLioness
costicuba
Bowhead Whale
Menicus
Ravenheartx
smilodoncalifornicus
LeeAnn
JonasV
widukind
dr.jones
Snardi
arafan
shadoweon
Bonobo
vcnbcn
ulinuk
schleich515686
Carola
∴Worlds∴in∴Miniature∴
Chris Sweetman
High Tyto Mira
K907
Haybale Farm
tyrantqueen
scot(t)
Cyhyraeth
Schleichfreund
Elros Alvar
Metallisuchus
schleich61
trevok4
Vivien
kudu11
Ana
LUkaPerry939
Wildheart
skysthelimit
sphyrna18
MartinH
incha
remrock02
ken yeo
baltimore zoo
SUSANNE
Kikimalou
SyLoBe
Sergey
atabini
Roger
Silver Unicornis
HKHollinstone
Gabe
60 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Elros Alvar

Elros Alvar

Country/State : Spain

Debate: Papo vs. Schleich - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Debate: Papo vs. Schleich - Page 5 EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 10:19 am

person: schleich
elves: schleich
knights: schleich
cattle:schleich
cats: schleich
horses:schleich
fantasy;: schleich
dragons: schleich
wild west: schleich
gladiators:schleich
egypcian: schleich
wild animals schleich
schleich have the best models.
papo have good models, but are very rare and some of them are not realistic.
Sorry
Wink

Look my Photo-Gallery On Flickr: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
*Álvaro*
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

Country/State : Lille, FRANCE

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Debate: Papo vs. Schleich - Page 5 EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 3:39 pm

Álvaro/schleich wrote:
person: schleich
elves: schleich
knights: schleich
cattle:schleich
cats: schleich
horses:schleich
fantasy;: schleich
dragons: schleich
wild west: schleich
gladiators:schleich
egypcian: schleich
wild animals schleich
schleich have the best models.
papo have good models, but are very rare and some of them are not realistic.
Sorry
Wink

Laughing Laughing Laughing I like people who knows what they like cheers Even if I absolutely disagree with them Wink
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Debate: Papo vs. Schleich - Page 5 EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 4:00 pm

I will not make a list, Roger made an interesting one IMHO, even if I don't agree with everything...

What is the best ?

SCHLEICH is the best for one thing... It is the Best seller Sad(o)): And that's the only point where SCHLEICH is the best. Laughing Laughing Laughing

PAPO is a brand with great hits and great flops. fantastic lions and tigers, great hippo, major croc. They are on the podium and IMHO have the gold or silver medal with those ones, not only in competition with SCHLEICH but in competition to the "bIG 6".
But PAPO has got also really really poor models, like zebras, dromedary or koala. What a Face

SCHLEICH has a decent line without too big flops but without hits. No It is uneasy to find a SCHLEICH model I could say it is the best among the "Big 6" brands. The SCHLEICH are well made but they are often not realistic. They are the champions of chubby models with too big heads. The zebras and pelican are maybe the only one which could reach the podium and have a medal. The last kudu, the Cape buffalo are the most realistic of the brand IMHO but they are not the best, not better than PAPO.
Both dinos from PAPO or SCHLEICH are not accurate, but at least PAPO are far more impressive than SCHLEICH.

I will not speak about elves, dragons and other things I don't collect.
Back to top Go down
Elros Alvar

Elros Alvar

Country/State : Spain

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Debate: Papo vs. Schleich - Page 5 EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 4:32 pm

Laughing Laughing Laughing It's ok Sad(o)): Sad(o)):

Look my Photo-Gallery On Flickr: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
*Álvaro*
Back to top Go down
Metallisuchus

Metallisuchus

Country/State : America

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Debate: Papo vs. Schleich - Page 5 EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 7:09 pm

It also came to mind that some collectors may like the somewhat more traditional toy approach that Schleich takes perhaps for nostalgic reasons. I must understand this because that is the way I am when it comes to certain other things such as video games, music, and movies - I like a lot of 'outdated' things. And of course brands like Papo have a much more modern approach (with more of a focus on detail).

Sergey

Country/State : S. - Petersburg, Russia

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Debate: Papo vs. Schleich - Page 5 EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 9:56 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
I will not make a list, Roger made an interesting one IMHO, even if I don't agree with everything...

What is the best ?

SCHLEICH is the best for one thing... It is the Best seller Sad(o)): And that's the only point where SCHLEICH is the best. Laughing Laughing Laughing

PAPO is a brand with great hits and great flops. fantastic lions and tigers, great hippo, major croc. They are on the podium and IMHO have the gold or silver medal with those ones, not only in competition with SCHLEICH but in competition to the "bIG 6".
But PAPO has got also really really poor models, like zebras, dromedary or koala. What a Face

SCHLEICH has a decent line without too big flops but without hits. No It is uneasy to find a SCHLEICH model I could say it is the best among the "Big 6" brands. The SCHLEICH are well made but they are often not realistic. They are the champions of chubby models with too big heads. The zebras and pelican are maybe the only one which could reach the podium and have a medal. The last kudu, the Cape buffalo are the most realistic of the brand IMHO but they are not the best, not better than PAPO.
Both dinos from PAPO or SCHLEICH are not accurate, but at least PAPO are far more impressive than SCHLEICH.

I will not speak about elves, dragons and other things I don't collect.

...I, m absolutely agree with Christophe! Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Sad(o)): Wink

Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Debate: Papo vs. Schleich - Page 5 EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 10:26 pm

Álvaro/schleich wrote:
Laughing Laughing Laughing It's ok Sad(o)): Sad(o)):

Alvara, SCHLEICH is also a big brand, I understand you love it. When I go in a shop and see the SCHLEICH display, I know it is impressive and very homogene Wink

Metallisuchus wrote:
It also came to mind that some collectors may like the somewhat more traditional toy approach that Schleich takes perhaps for nostalgic reasons. I must understand this because that is the way I am when it comes to certain other things such as video games, music, and movies - I like a lot of 'outdated' things. And of course brands like Papo have a much more modern approach (with more of a focus on detail).

You are right Very Happy Collecting is a love affair and lovers have always the best reasons to love. I oove a lot of models because they are toys and because they are good vintage toys Laughing But I will never say they are the most realistic !
Back to top Go down
Schleichfreund

Schleichfreund

Country/State : Germany

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Debate: Papo vs. Schleich - Page 5 EmptySun Sep 30, 2012 8:53 am

Ich bin ja nun eingefleischter SCHLEICH Fan,aber ich gebe Roger recht mit dem was er sagt.Die alten Serien von Schleich finde ich realistischer wie die heutigen.

I am now a confirmed SCHLEICH fan, but I'm quite satisfied with what he Roger sagt.Die old series of surreptitious I find realistic as today.

lg Mike :) :)

Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Debate: Papo vs. Schleich - Page 5 EmptySun Sep 30, 2012 12:46 pm

exclamation scratch I remembered there was already a big topic about SCHLEICH and PAPO !

I will merge the two topics Wink
Back to top Go down
Cyhyraeth

Cyhyraeth

Country/State : Russian Federation

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Debate: Papo vs. Schleich - Page 5 EmptyThu Oct 04, 2012 12:20 pm

Gabe wrote:
Papo or Schleich?
Both:)
I like the way Papo make their wildlife and dinos, and the horses poses -they are very realistic. As for Schleich- older molds were marvellous, the latest ones are quite plain, but still they are rather good in painting:)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

My Facebook page
Back to top Go down
http://y-cyhiraeth.deviantart.com/
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Debate: Papo vs. Schleich - Page 5 EmptyThu Oct 04, 2012 10:09 pm

ana wrote:
Roger wrote:
OK, here goes my contribution, only wild life and species available in 2012.
Tomorrow I can change my choices! Laughing

Red deers, none

Wink

I think I like old red deer by Scheich and also current red deer by Papo What a Face What is wrong with them? Shocked Suspect Wink

Ana, I lost your comment! Sleep
I thought a little before making the list, not because I had a lot of doubts about the choices, but because it is not always confortable to make it on a forum. We can find many collectors posting here but I was the only who did it. :)
All deers with not palmated antlers are very uninteresting among modern brands. Mainly stags, see how thick are antlers of the retired Schleich red deer, white tails from Schleich and Mojo, etc, etc. rendeer
The Papo is better on this little point, the figure is very proud looking, but when I see it in pictures it doesn't look real, maybe painting, legs, I can't explain, I also don't know it personally and my comments couldn't be fair.
I also forget that when comparing brands the only points of interest are not the accuracy of the figures. Diversity of species, manufacturing of the figures, are also 2 very important points, among others. study
Papo is not very good in both aspects, Schleich is also not rich in diversity but more interesting in manufacturing quality. I hope the last year disaster was a mistake and that Schleich returns to good manofacturing of previous years. Very Happy

Admin
SUSANNE

Country/State : Denmark, the peninsula of Djursland.

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Debate: Papo vs. Schleich - Page 5 EmptyThu Oct 04, 2012 11:06 pm

Roger wrote:

....... ..... I hope the last year disaster was a mistake and that Schleich returns to good manofacturing of previous years. Very Happy

I surely hope so, too Sad(o)):

Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Debate: Papo vs. Schleich - Page 5 EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 12:52 am

Roger wrote:

I thought a little before making the list, not because I had a lot of doubts about the choices, but because it is not always confortable to make it on a forum. We can find many collectors posting here but I was the only who did it. :)
All deers with not palmated antlers are very uninteresting among modern brands. Mainly stags, see how thick are antlers of the retired Schleich red deer, white tails from Schleich and Mojo, etc, etc. rendeer
The Papo is better on this little point, the figure is very proud looking, but when I see it in pictures it doesn't look real, maybe painting, legs, I can't explain, I also don't know it personally and my comments couldn't be fair.
I also forget that when comparing brands the only points of interest are not the accuracy of the figures. Diversity of species, manufacturing of the figures, are also 2 very important points, among others. study
Papo is not very good in both aspects, Schleich is also not rich in diversity but more interesting in manufacturing quality. I hope the last year disaster was a mistake and that Schleich returns to good manufacturing of previous years. Very Happy

It is indeed difficult to make a list... Especially after yours Laughing
As I said, I didn't make one because it would look like the same list with some changes and I'm not sure it is very interesting to know what choices we have together and what choices are different.
It's true in a Brand versus another brand discussion, there is a lot of points we could discuss. Accuracy, personality, finition, quality and style of painting, range and prices Wink
I guess a difference is also a matter of age. SCHLEICH was a very innovative brand in the last 1990's and the early 2000's with models not or rarely seen before, for example on their dinos and prehistoric lines, with their birds of prey...
PAPO was a very innovative brand a few years later, bringing the quality standart higher with their dinos, big cats, reptiles... It was a great change then in the Animal figurines world. I remember the first time I saw PAPO and SCHLEICH display in a shop at Lille drunken Just had a look at the hippos or crocs and you knew that something had changed cheers
Now, SCHLEICH and PAPO have also common points, for example they were in the Sleepy brands camp in 2012 Sleep Sleep while COLLECTA and MOJO was working hard about new species and new standarts of quality.
Next thing... I need both PAPO and SCHLEICH, I hope they will wake up in 2013 Wink

Last edited by Kikimalou on Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
schleich61

Country/State : Northern California, U.S.A.

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Debate: Papo vs. Schleich - Page 5 EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 5:08 am

Roger wrote:

Papo is not very good in both aspects, Schleich is also not rich in diversity but more interesting in manufacturing quality. I hope the last year disaster was a mistake and that Schleich returns to good manofacturing of previous years. Very Happy

Roger, I cannot imagine you have had, or will have, any problems with other collectors if you stick to criticizing the figurines or the brand itself. It is when you use the brand to criticize the people who collect it that I get annoyed.

Back to top Go down
http://www.schleichcollector.blogspot.com
Roger
Admin
Roger

Country/State : Portugal

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Debate: Papo vs. Schleich - Page 5 EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 2:16 pm

schleich61 wrote:
Roger wrote:

Roger, I cannot imagine you have had, or will have, any problems with other collectors if you stick to criticizing the figurines or the brand itself. It is when you use the brand to criticize the people who collect it that I get annoyed.

Phil, after reading your kind pm, what is really annoying and disappointing is to see your insistence with this kind of comments. I haven't criticized any collector. That's a sterile conversation and not opportune at all. Please, when you think I'm doing it, send me a pm, I'm a open minded person and I can recognize easily my faults. :)
Take this example, after reading your comment, it looks, on my comment you're quoting, that I'm criticizing all collectors. When actually I'm criticizing myself. I know you also want the best for the forum, what eventually explains your superprotector behaviour, so don't make a storm in a glass of water. Very Happy

Ana

Country/State : Utrecht/NL

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Debate: Papo vs. Schleich - Page 5 EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 2:53 pm

Roger wrote:
ana wrote:
Roger wrote:
OK, here goes my contribution, only wild life and species available in 2012.
Tomorrow I can change my choices! Laughing

Red deers, none

Wink

I think I like old red deer by Scheich and also current red deer by Papo What a Face What is wrong with them? Shocked Suspect Wink

Oh I see, thank You for coming back to my comment. I like Your list, it's interesting to read and also I agree in many things Very Happy

For me too thick antlers not really destroying all the look of figure. They disturb but only a little bit, not very much. I like very much the head of older red deer by Schleich, it is very well sculpted. Papo one is on my wishlist also. I guess thinner antlers would be just very difficult in producing in plastic. In case of Papo, he has something special in him, maybe not 100% realism but lot of charm and character. rendeer

I'm not a fan of newer Schleich stag though, it looks very plain and texture is giving him quite plushy look. It's surprising they did such a deer after excellent roe deer family I love you

I would love to see white tailed deer family by Schleich in the same quality level as their roe deer. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
http://www.horseandbird.com
schleich61

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Debate: Papo vs. Schleich - Page 5 EmptySat Oct 06, 2012 6:39 pm

Roger wrote:
schleich61 wrote:
Roger wrote:

Phil, after reading your kind pm, what is really annoying and disappointing is to see your insistence with this kind of comments. I haven't criticized any collector. That's a sterile conversation and not opportune at all. Please, when you think I'm doing it, send me a pm, I'm a open minded person and I can recognize easily my faults. :)
Take this example, after reading your comment, it looks, on my comment you're quoting, that I'm criticizing all collectors. When actually I'm criticizing myself. I know you also want the best for the forum, what eventually explains your superprotector behaviour, so don't make a storm in a glass of water. Very Happy

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
scot(t)

scot(t)

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Debate: Papo vs. Schleich - Page 5 EmptySat Oct 06, 2012 6:56 pm

I don't know why I'm getting involved--I know I'll regret it.

Phil, I say this kindly, but for the life of me, I honestly could not work out where Roger was supposedly criticizing forum members for liking a brand. I think it's possible you misunderstood. (But I accept that it may be I who is misunderstanding.)

More importantly, however, I do wish members would handle this level of criticism privately. Disagreement in the public forum is of course fine--even fun sometimes. But when it becomes slightly mean-spirited, it feels very much out of place in a forum that is most noteworthy, to my mind, for its warmth and kindness. I like coming here in part because I don't have to worry about getting flamed.

Both of you are great contributors to this forum. I hope we can aim for kinder and more charitable comments.

Back to top Go down
tyrantqueen

tyrantqueen

Country/State : England, UK

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Debate: Papo vs. Schleich - Page 5 EmptyWed Oct 10, 2012 12:31 am

Papo for me. I didn't grow up with Schleich so I don't have any nostalgia for them. Schleich dinosaurs don't really do anything for me, but they have made a couple of hits here and there (their Parasaurolophus and Quetzalcoatlus were good figures) Schleich dinosaurs generally have very good details but their sculpting and anatomy often puts me off...and many of them tend to look deformed and not like a living animal at all.

On the other hand, I have nearly every single Papo dino they've released. I like their detail and how life-like they are. Yes, they do have scientific errors, but they are still believable as living animals.
Back to top Go down
schleich61

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Debate: Papo vs. Schleich - Page 5 EmptyWed Oct 10, 2012 12:30 pm

scot(t) wrote:
I don't know why I'm getting involved--I know I'll regret it.

Phil, I say this kindly, but for the life of me, I honestly could not work out where Roger was supposedly criticizing forum members for liking a brand. I think it's possible you misunderstood. (But I accept that it may be I who is misunderstanding.)

More importantly, however, I do wish members would handle this level of criticism privately. Disagreement in the public forum is of course fine--even fun sometimes. But when it becomes slightly mean-spirited, it feels very much out of place in a forum that is most noteworthy, to my mind, for its warmth and kindness. I like coming here in part because I don't have to worry about getting flamed.

Both of you are great contributors to this forum. I hope we can aim for kinder and more charitable comments.

Scott, I welcome your involvement, but the "situation" I was referring to happened recently in another section. When faced with my response to his statement, Roger never responded directly, but was making an oblique reference to that discussion here.

If you don't know what a specific discussion is referencing, maybe you should make an effort to discover that before you offer up your own criticisms of the actor(s) involved.

I simply resent Roger's comments over time belittling not Schleich, but those who have chosen to collect that brand. If someone else does this, then I will respond in kind, in public, just as the original posted did. If you have a problem with that, too bad... exclamation

By the way, in case you haven't realized it yet, I responded to Roger's last comment here with humor, and he very politely declined to make any further comment. By now bringing this up again, you have almost guaranteed that there will be further exchanges referencing this discussion, although I'm sure that they will be within the bounds of what is reasonable. Congratulations, you've managed to breathe life back into this dispute, so if it should continue, please don't come back again and pontificate any further, because now YOUR fingerprints are also on it... cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Kikimalou
Admin
Kikimalou

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Debate: Papo vs. Schleich - Page 5 EmptyWed Oct 10, 2012 12:38 pm

I guess it would be better for everybody to come back to the topic debate : PAPO vs SCHLEICH Wink
Back to top Go down
schleich61

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Debate: Papo vs. Schleich - Page 5 EmptyWed Oct 10, 2012 12:51 pm

Kikimalou wrote:
I guess it would be better for everybody to come back to the topic debate : PAPO vs SCHLEICH Wink

Ahh...there is an adult in the room... cheers Wink
Back to top Go down
Haybale Farm

Haybale Farm

Country/State : England

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Debate: Papo vs. Schleich - Page 5 EmptyWed Oct 10, 2012 9:20 pm

I LOVE SCHLEICH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
K907

K907

Country/State : Kodiak, Alaska

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Debate: Papo vs. Schleich - Page 5 EmptyThu Oct 11, 2012 3:51 am

Its tough to choose because both are so different. Schleich has a simplistic and charming look (I do not know to explain it but the figures just seem so cute but in a good way! Very Happy ). Papo has more of a realistic/lively sculpt(s), even though the dinosaurs are inaccurate, just looking at them it seems like they're alive (look at the allosaurus for example Shocked ). But if I had to choose one, it would have to be Schleich because of its charm. Although I do have to note, that Schleich hasn't been impressing me lately (maybe because lack of sea life) but hopefully my faith will be restored in 2013!
Back to top Go down
scot(t)

scot(t)

Country/State : USA

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Debate: Papo vs. Schleich - Page 5 EmptyThu Oct 11, 2012 5:12 am

Phil, my apologies. It sounds like I did misunderstand the context of the remarks I read. My comments were out of place. It was certainly not my intention to stir things up and I very much hope that we can all put it to the side and move forward in a friendly way. I am very sorry for mischaracterizing the situation.

Putting that aside and turning back to the main topic of the thread, I really agree with Kevin (K907): It is very tough to choose between Papo and Schleich for the reasons he mentioned. I think that describing Schleich's look as simplistic and charming is apt. Their best figures are stylizing, but so elegant. (I'm thinking of the Wisent, the Oryx, and the Hyena, for example.) Another good example is the African Cape Buffalo. I remember hearing many criticize this figure. And as much as I like the Papo Cape Buffalo and I think it is likely more realistic, the Schleich is such a lovely, elegant figure. It just catches my eye.

Very hard choice.

That said, the Papo Tigers are just awesome and put the Schleich tigers to shame. Differences like that are too obvious to ignore.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Papo vs. Schleich   Debate: Papo vs. Schleich - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Debate: Papo vs. Schleich
Page 5 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next